Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-09-2009, 12:35 PM

45 posts, read 244,722 times

Advertisements

I will be renting a nice Victorian off Park Ave just a few houses down from Lake St. The house is really big and my roommates are nice but what also attracts me is the proximity to Uptown. The house is part of an urban rehab program for redevelopment(not drugs).

I've lived in the metro area my entire life so I am familiar with the Philips. My understanding is that its not quite as bad as it once was. One of the roommates said that it is Lake St and can be bad and also suggested to not go out jogging at 10pm. I'm a single male in my 20s so I'm not too concerned with people messing with me.

Anyway, I am just looking for opinions on the area. I looked at the Minneapolis crime map and their seems to be many arrests for drugs
and larceny with a couple residential burglaries in the area.

Should I be concerned?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2009, 01:44 PM

2,654 posts, read 5,759,688 times
nah, if you're street smart enough it wont be a big deal.

Old 10-09-2009, 02:03 PM

10,244 posts, read 16,364,120 times
You'll probably randomly see some wackos around there (especially at the bus stop at Lake and 4th Ave) but I don't think you should have any safety issues. I live nearby and we spend alot of time in the area and we haven't had any major concerns. Just out of curiosity, you are on the Phillips side of Lake St, between 29th and Lake right? I ask this because a house on the west side of Park 2 or 3 houses south of Lake (between Lake and 31st St S) was engulfed in flames last Tuesday...I hope that isn't that house you're moving into.
http://www.startribune.com/local/62777412.html?elr=KArksCiUnP:E8c7PiUiD3aPc:_Yy c:aUUr (broken link)

The people who tell you not to jog after 10pm are probably the people who read the newspaper article about the guy on his bike who was wacked last summer near the intersection of 38th and Chicago and/or the article about the kid who was wacked at Portland and Lake a few years ago. Do not be concerned about these or similar events because they weren't random. The guy on the bike was trying to score some crack and the kid was gang affiliated and it was a payback hit. As long as you steer clear of gangs and drugs you have VERY little to worry about in regards to urban safety.

Last edited by Cruz Azul Guy; 10-09-2009 at 02:13 PM..

Old 10-09-2009, 03:25 PM

45 posts, read 244,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slig View Post
You'll probably randomly see some wackos around there (especially at the bus stop at Lake and 4th Ave) but I don't think you should have any safety issues. I live nearby and we spend alot of time in the area and we haven't had any major concerns. Just out of curiosity, you are on the Phillips side of Lake St, between 29th and Lake right? I ask this because a house on the west side of Park 2 or 3 houses south of Lake (between Lake and 31st St S) was engulfed in flames last Tuesday...I hope that isn't that house you're moving into.
Minneapolis house in dispute catches fire | StarTribune.com (http://www.startribune.com/local/62777412.html?elr=KArksCiUnP:E8c7PiUiD3aPc:_Yy c:aUUr - broken link)

The people who tell you not to jog after 10pm are probably the people who read the newspaper article about the guy on his bike who was wacked last summer near the intersection of 38th and Chicago and/or the article about the kid who was wacked at Portland and Lake a few years ago. Do not be concerned about these or similar events because they weren't random. The guy on the bike was trying to score some crack and the kid was gang affiliated and it was a payback hit. As long as you steer clear of gangs and drugs you have VERY little to worry about in regards to urban safety.
We are north of Lake St. and I have looked at the house before moving in

I am aware of the arson as I saw it on the crime map. I still don't think I would go out jogging at night...too big of a risk.

I am very happy to move out of the car dependent suburbs where I have lived my whole life. It will be so nice to bike/walk to buy groceries or grab a beer!

Old 10-09-2009, 03:31 PM

10,244 posts, read 16,364,120 times
I just have to throw this out there, I strongly recommend going to the Global Market in the Midtown Exchange building at Lake and Chicago as much as possible while living there. There are also two restaurant/bars there, one is Mexican and the other is Asian...both are solid.

Old 10-09-2009, 03:32 PM

1,606 posts, read 3,341,180 times
Hope you enjoy living in the city. There are lots of good restaurants to check out along East Lake, Midtown Global marketplace and Nicollet (eat Street). Please post after you've been there a few months and let us know how things are going!

Old 10-10-2009, 12:18 AM

2,654 posts, read 5,759,688 times
go get a beer at Sunnys sometime. Dudes are unpleasant there.

Old 10-11-2009, 08:52 AM

455 posts, read 1,114,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slig View Post

I agree that as a male you will be fine in that neighborhood as long as you aren't out looking to buy drugs or walking around drunk. Sure dealers will probably approach you, however if you keep your head and respectfully say "no" and keep walking, they most likely will leave you alone.

The media makes it seems like innocent people are getting randomly killed in that area. Like Slig states above, the biker who got killed wasn't just innocently going for a bike ride thru Chicago / 38th at 10 pm.

Old 10-25-2009, 05:25 PM

34 posts, read 201,249 times
Just dont get out numbered. here are the WEEKLY Crime stats for that area. Click on Precinct 3

Crime Maps
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul