Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-25-2009, 04:27 AM

5 posts, read 18,255 times

Advertisements

Hello,
I've been searching for some information about Bohemian Flats in Minneapolis, because we're designing a restaurant and boathouse there, however, I come from the Czech Republic, therefore I am trying to contact some of you, Minneapolis residents.. Could you say something about the site of Behemian Flats? What is it like? Especially nowadays, how many peple come here, what is interesting about the place, what is not etc. I am familiar with the history, some factual information and so on, but I am mostly curious how is the site considered among local people...
If ou can say anything, I will be grateful.

Greetings
Jan
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2009, 08:55 AM

481 posts, read 1,817,745 times
Its just a flat strip of ground along the river that seems mostly empty every time I've driven past it - there are no amenities, not even trees or bushes .. might be some benches but its pretty undeveloped. There's no beach, just grass and a retaining wall against the river. The park is cut off from the community by steep bluffs so the only access is along west river road. I don't live in the area so maybe something does happen there...I'm sure its crowded on the one or two days there's a marathon along the road (which is quite scenic). I think river tour boats were once docked there but they've moved on...or perhaps I'm thinking of a boat that was once used for staging plays.

Maybe someone more familiar can fill in what I've missed. I keep thinking there should be something more there, that it has some potential. The land is owned by the Minneapolis park board so anything that happens there would have to get their approval.

Currently much of the flats are occupied by debris from the 35W bridge collapse, and the park board has been told by several attorneys that the longer pieces of debris (which can't be fit on trucks and would have to be cut up for transport) can't be removed because its evidence in a number of lawsuits over the collapse, with the first one starting in 2011. Search for it in google news for details.

Old 10-25-2009, 09:57 AM

Thanks for a quick reply, I was thinking that the traffic (both cars and peple on bicycles) come from west river road, there are some houses and buildings on the bluffs but those buildings are quite separated from downtown minneapolis by 35W highway, is that right? I am concered about how do most people come accross this area.
Is anybody familiar with Minneapolis Grand Rounds Scenic Byway? I suppose many people come to enjoy its destinations, this place could become part of it, is Downtown Riverfront District frequently visited area? (I assume there are more visitors e.g. at the lakes or up the river at St. Anthony Falls.)
But that is why this place needs to revitalize.

Old 10-25-2009, 11:35 PM

2,507 posts, read 8,563,840 times
The area was originally settled as the worst slum in Minneapolis. Houses were simply constructed from trash that floated downriver. There was no sewage and flooding was sometimes a problem. The area housed wave after wave of new immigrants -- a good number were Czech (hence the name Bohemian). The city condemned it after ignoring the area for the better half of a century.
Today, alot of people pass the area on Washington Avenue, but since the bridge connects bluff to bluff (and the Flats are at the bottom of the bluff), access is surprisingly difficult. The area directly around it on both sides of the River is the University of Minnesota, housing is further away. It is an area that you would only really get to if you made a point to go there, or if you were making the full Grand Rounds (the Flats are part of the Grand Rounds already). It is completely disconnected mentally from downtown, even most of its immediate surroundings. If you were to stand there, most of the buildings above you are quite a ways up and most of your view would be that of nature.
The freeway separates people and places more mentally than physically. There are many ways around the freeway, one just feels out of place if they were to do so. That isn't the whole reason why the Flats are like they are.
Part of the reason for it being left undeveloped is that is is topographically a hard area to get to. It was hard to get to before the freeway came when people lived there and it is hard now. That is part of the reason why it won't become a tourist attraction. Most of the attraction of the downtown riverfront is the buildings and the fact that you can get close to the river. People aren't there as much for the river as they are for the fact that they can see downtown from a good view point and feel the mist of the falls and then walk across the river to Main Street and the cobblestone street. The river and the bridges and buildings all rely on each other to make the downtown riverfront attractive and memorable. The Flats lack these qualities. Most people don't realize that before settlement and the taming of the river, these were white water rapids. This isn't Colorado, but there are certain goats that couldn't make it up some of those cliffs. If you go here
(Bohemian Flats - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia) and look at the bluffs under the modern Washington Avenue Bridge, realize that the bluffs on the Flats side are just as big and just as sheer. It prevents the flow of people wanting to access the area, that is why it was settled as a slum -- the inaccessibility undermined the value of the land even though it is only a mile from downtown.
Fun fact -- the road that dead ends between the River Pkwy. and the campus buildings is where the University dug a cave into the bluff to put alot of its library collection.
If you are designing a restaurant, know that it is going to have to be casual and that most of its clientele will be on foot or on bike. It would probably have to serve refreshments and snacks as opposed to full meals and would have significantly less business in the winter.
As for a boathouse, the shoreline isn't sloping into the river. It is flat land, a metal retaining wall perhaps two or three feet high depending on how high the river is, and the river. Someone walking towards the river from the street would be completely dry or completely submerged over their head in the river.

Old 10-26-2009, 12:04 AM

10,624 posts, read 26,739,553 times
Despite going to school at the U and living on or near campus for four years (and walking back and forth across the river various bridges multiple times each day) I only went down to that area a couple of times due to the inconvenience factor; once out of curiosity, once for a geology class. It's a weird place; there is potential, I suppose, but like Minnehahapolitan points out, there isn't the blend of existing buildings and history and river that you find over by the Stone Arch Bridge.

Old 10-26-2009, 12:23 PM

10,244 posts, read 16,375,702 times
We have biked/walked down there a few times because it's one of the closest river park areas to our house. I agree that it's a bit on the stranger side due to being so close to downtown, yet so isolated. I think the area definitely has alot of potential though. Right now it's just an awkward clumpy field full of geese poop, but with great views of the U of M East bank (Weisman Art Museum) and the river.

Old 10-26-2009, 12:46 PM

Thanks a lot for a reply, these informations are just what i need! You mention Flats being part of Grand Rounds already, could you specify a little bit what traffic on Grand Rounds is like? I've been searching and (if I understood correctly), Grand Rounds are suitable both for bikers/people on foot and motorists (cars, motorcycles).
How much are Grand Rounds used by either of these? According to my "European point of view", I would consider cars being present on such byway only occasionaly, but I am really not that much familiar with American culture and habit to say, so if you can explain a little bit it would be kind of you.

uptown_urbanist: I totally understand, the place has been left with no development way too long...

Thanks again, everybody

Old 10-28-2009, 06:44 AM

481 posts, read 1,817,745 times
There is *one* steady traffic stream by there, for a couple hours during the afternoon (and perhaps morning?) rush. Its a good scenic bypass if you live in the longfellow/nokomis area of Minneapols and your commute takes you through downtown. There's a steady stream of traffic taking West River Road. The access to it in downtown is a bit complicated but you'll know traffic will move steady but slow and the scenery helps you unwind. I come to it by 394, and being able to take the left, mostly unused traffic lane that dumps you out into downtown helps as well.

Old 10-29-2009, 03:06 AM

Thanks.

Old 11-09-2009, 12:09 PM

Hello,
it's me again, does anybody of you have an idea about the range of the stage of water level in Mississippi river changes during the year? Some general numbers would be just fine (especially in Spring).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul