Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2010, 07:26 PM

23,222 posts, read 29,066,081 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingwriter View Post
Why is a long commute bad? I'd rather do a long commute than live somewhere I didn't like just to be near work. Life shouldn't revolve around work. Plus, the commute might save money in the long run due to the lower cost of living outside of the Metro. If someone wants to pay more in gas, then why not? That's what makes America great - the freedom to choose.
Why is a long commute bad? Unfortunately, those in cemeteries today who died in fatal car accidents aren't here to answer that, but there are many in long-term care facilities who became permanently disabled, quadripeligics, paraplegics, (not the braid dead vegetables hooked up to tubes) due to near-fatal car accidents, who would gladly answer that question. And let's not forget those permanently dependent on home care.

And where does the money come to maintain the hundreds of miles of freeways and roads in the Twin Cities area? Minnesota has a big-spending fairy godmother?

Much of the greatness of America came from the freedom not to choose.

Old 07-01-2010, 09:34 PM

5,984 posts, read 13,419,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
Why is a long commute bad? Unfortunately, those in cemeteries today who died in fatal car accidents aren't here to answer that, but there are many in long-term care facilities who became permanently disabled, quadripeligics, paraplegics, (not the braid dead vegetables hooked up to tubes) due to near-fatal car accidents, who would gladly answer that question. And let's not forget those permanently dependent on home care.

And where does the money come to maintain the hundreds of miles of freeways and roads in the Twin Cities area? Minnesota has a big-spending fairy godmother?

Much of the greatness of America came from the freedom not to choose.
And what about the thousands who died while on their bike, after being hit by a car? What about those who were walking and slipped on a patch of ice and died? What about those who were shot while waiting for the bus?

Also, most people who die in fatal car accidents do so while close to their home.

I just don't get this attitude that commuters (and car drivers in general) are the scum of the earth. Minnesota is the only place that I've encountered this viewpoint. Really, commuting isn't bad. If people were banned from taking long commutes, unemployment in rural areas would skyrocket and rural flight would accelerate. Is that good?

Old 07-02-2010, 09:15 AM

1,178 posts, read 2,707,997 times
Quote:
And what about the thousands who died while on their bike, after being hit by a car? What about those who were walking and slipped on a patch of ice and died? What about those who were shot while waiting for the bus?

Also, most people who die in fatal car accidents do so while close to their home.

I just don't get this attitude that commuters (and car drivers in general) are the scum of the earth. Minnesota is the only place that I've encountered this viewpoint. Really, commuting isn't bad. If people were banned from taking long commutes, unemployment in rural areas would skyrocket and rural flight would accelerate. Is that good?

I understand commutes that take workers from Suburb to Inner City or Inner City to Suburb... However, much of the over-commuting in this country comes from Suburb to Suburb commuting. This to me is just . Why would you live in Savage and work in Plymouth? Or why would you live in Blaine and work in Mendota Heights? The typical 'argument' is that 'people want to be by their families, and where they grew up and where their friends are"

Ok... So... You're telling me that you're going to spend 2 hrs a day in your car driving from Blaine to Mendota Heights? What does Blaine have that MH doesnt? Or isn't there anything closer to MH that would suite you? You're spending 40 hrs IN MH each week, not to mention the 10 hrs a week in your car, and you are saying you live in Blaine because "Your family is close?" the family that you only see on weekends any way? So you're telling me you'd rather COMMUTE 2 hrs a day every day so you don't have to have an hour commute on a weekend? I don't get it.

Old 07-02-2010, 10:26 AM

I don't see a problem with suburb-to-suburb commuting. People see their friends/family more often than on the weekends. A lot of people want to be near where they grew up, or on a certain side of town. Also, Blaine is nothing like Mendota Heights - they have a totally different feel. As I said earlier, life shouldn't revolve around work.

Old 07-02-2010, 12:39 PM

11,334 posts, read 26,096,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
How many fatalities occur in rush hour traffic versus highway driving at night or during holidays? I would guess relatively few.

I had a long commute for a while. Started at Pioneer Trail and 169, roughly, and ended in Owatonna. 59 miles each way, mainly on rural I-35, for eight months.

One of the most relaxing and possibly safest commutes I've ever had. It gave me a chance to think about my day on the way to work, and to decompress a little on my way home.

Old 07-02-2010, 01:06 PM

3,326 posts, read 8,864,570 times
Quote:
I don't see a problem with suburb-to-suburb commuting. People see their friends/family more often than on the weekends. A lot of people want to be near where they grew up, or on a certain side of town. Also, Blaine is nothing like Mendota Heights - they have a totally different feel. As I said earlier, life shouldn't revolve around work.
I don't think suburb to suburb commuting is a bad thing, but when that commute exceeds 30-40 minutes, then a person's life does revolve around work and the commute to and from. That's the situation I currently find myself in. The weekends don't quite make up for it.

As for light rail, I like the idea of it, although I understand the arguments against it, especially financial.
At some point, however, you have to find ways to get people to where they're going without building wider and bigger roads.

Old 07-02-2010, 01:48 PM

1,080 posts, read 2,270,097 times
I live in St Paul, work in St Paul, but will never use the Central Corridor.

Why would I walk ten blocks, jump on a crowded train, and ride that for twenty minutes into downtown stopping at every street when I can just walk onto my driveway, jump in the truck, and be downtown in five minutes. Makes no sense to me.

Old 07-02-2010, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcsteiner View Post
How many fatalities occur in rush hour traffic versus highway driving at night or during holidays? I would guess relatively few.

I had a long commute for a while. Started at Pioneer Trail and 169, roughly, and ended in Owatonna. 59 miles each way, mainly on rural I-35, for eight months.

One of the most relaxing and possibly safest commutes I've ever had. It gave me a chance to think about my day on the way to work, and to decompress a little on my way home.
Exactly. I LOVE long commutes like that. They are relaxing, and do help to clear your head. I commuted 80 miles each way through the country in Michigan, and it was great. Here, I commuted from Plymouth to St. Louis Park (only about 10 miles) in rush hour traffic and it SUCKED. Very stressful.

Old 07-02-2010, 03:15 PM

5,509 posts, read 11,883,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MN55 View Post
I live in St Paul, work in St Paul, but will never use the Central Corridor.

Why would I walk ten blocks, jump on a crowded train, and ride that for twenty minutes into downtown stopping at every street when I can just walk onto my driveway, jump in the truck, and be downtown in five minutes. Makes no sense to me.
To avoid:

potential traffic
parking fees
car break-ins
car accidents
carbon emissions

...but not if you have to walk over a mile to get to the stop!

Old 11-18-2010, 12:53 PM

21 posts, read 23,296 times
I know that this thread is old, but there have been some recent posts. I thought I would post my observations, as someone who is foreign born, and moved to MSP at age 21, lived for 12 years in MSP, and then moved to DFW, where I have been for 8 years....

All in all, I prefer Dallas slightly over Minneapolis.

Minneapolis, particularly out in the suburbs, is a much prettier place. Also, the seasons are much more "fun", and it really is an adventure, sometimes, living in Minneapolis. I enjoyed my 12 years there thoroughly. However, with all the travelling I was doing, I found Minnesota to be too boring, if you are looking for something beyond outdoor winter/water activities. The music / restaurant scene is not great in Minnesota, and sometimes you can struggle to find something to do. Also, the cars, etc, are pretty dumpy and sometimes the place really looks like it is a couple of decades behind Dallas, and other modern cosmopolitan cities. Also, the inner parts of the city, Minneapolis AND St Paul, are not exactly pretty. My first thought when I first landed at MSP when I was 20, was "man, this is an ugly city". Granted, landing at DFW and driving through Irving, is even uglier.....

In Dallas, the old suburbs much closer to downtown, are WAY cooler than anything Minneapolis has to offer. There is so much to do, and literally dozens of pubs, bars, restaurants and live music venues all within walking distance.

However, when it comes to living in the outer 'burbs much further from the city center, Minneapolis and St Paul have Dallas / Fort Worth soundly beat. The general ugly, flat, treeless and sterile landscape of North Texas is very difficult to get over. On the other hand, you don't have to go too far out of town in the MSP area to live in wonderful, beautiful, serene neighborhoods, with trees, and hilly topography and beautiful lakes.

I'm a city boy, so I choose Dallas over Minneapolis (but not over much else). But wouldn't mind a cabin on a rural Minnesotan lake as well.

Last edited by unherdable; 11-18-2010 at 01:02 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul