Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2010, 09:21 PM

3,146 posts, read 4,114,300 times

Advertisements

We have a family of eight (8), my wife and I plus six kids aged 2, 6, 9, 11, 13, and 15.

We are considering relocating to the TC area and we want to know which suburb may be suit our needs regarding large affordable (up to about 300k on the extreme high end but more preferably about 200-250k) houses. I'm looking for at least 4 BR and at least 2 BA on at least 1/4 acre, which I've been told is reasonable and available throughout metro TC.

Is this true or have people been blowing smoke?

Additionally, where are the best schools? I know that MN public schools, in general, are considered to be among the best, if not the best, in the nation but I want know how Minnesotans feel about the schools and range of after-school activities.

Any guidance would be most appreciated.

Last edited by phlinak; 02-20-2010 at 09:26 PM.. Reason: Typo
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2010, 06:08 AM

20,793 posts, read 61,363,892 times
Yes, MN schools are tops in the nation. The availability of programs for kids is outstanding. You will especially like the Early Childhood Family Education (ECFE) for your 2 year old--fantastic program.

You will be able to find something in your price range pretty much all over the cities in this current housing market. The REALLY nice thing about living here are there are only a handful of bad school districts around the area so most people end up picking an area that is close to work and has good programs in what your kids enjoy, so, where will you be working and what activities are your kids involved with?

Old 02-21-2010, 07:55 AM

10,244 posts, read 16,395,681 times
Just out of curiosity I ran an MLS search on homes with at least 4 bed, 2 bath, .25 acre and in the 200-300k range. The search found 1438 single family homes in the metro area. You have plenty of options in almost every area. I agree that work location(s) should be a determining factor since finding an area with good schools isn't a problem.

Old 02-21-2010, 08:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfgal View Post
Yes, MN schools are tops in the nation. The availability of programs for kids is outstanding. You will especially like the Early Childhood Family Education (ECFE) for your 2 year old--fantastic program.

You will be able to find something in your price range pretty much all over the cities in this current housing market. The REALLY nice thing about living here are there are only a handful of bad school districts around the area so most people end up picking an area that is close to work and has good programs in what your kids enjoy, so, where will you be working and what activities are your kids involved with?
I would be working out of either our Minneapolis or Bloomington office and our kids are involved with Pop Warner football, Little League baseball, indoor and outdoor soccer as well as Cub Scouts to name just a few.

Old 02-21-2010, 08:16 AM

1,080 posts, read 2,271,587 times
The large majority of Districts are pretty dang good, but here are some of the best, depending on what side of the metro you are working on.

East Metro:
Mahtomedi
Stillwater
Mounds View
Centennial

NW Metro:
Maple Grove
Wayzata

SW Metro:
Edina
Bloomington (West Side/Jefferson High School)
Eden Praire
Minnetonka
Chaska
Hopkins

South Metro:
Rosemount
Henry Sibley

You should be able to find a house on your size lot in all these districts, although price is going to be much more difficult in some, especially Edina and Wayzata.

I would definitely focus in on the Mahtomedi and Stilwater districts. They are both among the best in the state (top 5) and you should be able to find your size house and lot quite easily. They would be great places for a large family if you can find a house in your price range which may be somewhat difficult, but definitely not impossible. The only drawback is that the commute frim those communities are, well, lengthy to say the least.

Old 02-21-2010, 08:18 AM

1,080 posts, read 2,271,587 times
Sorry, didn't see you second post. In that case, I would probably rule out the east metro districts, especially if you are in Bloomington. The commute from Stillwater to Bloomington would be hell in rush hour.

Old 02-21-2010, 08:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phlinak View Post
I would be working out of either our Minneapolis or Bloomington office and our kids are involved with Pop Warner football, Little League baseball, indoor and outdoor soccer as well as Cub Scouts to name just a few.
Well, that pretty much covers everything for activities. Are you looking for a school with top programs in football/baseball/soccer? What are your main priorities?

If you are working in Bloomington I would suggest looking in Eagan, Apple Valley, Rosemount to start (depending on what side of Bloomington your office is on). If you are on the west side of Bloomington, I would start looking in Chaska.

Old 02-21-2010, 08:56 AM

10,244 posts, read 16,395,681 times
I might also add that there are about 50 properties right in Bloomington that meet all of your search criteria. It'd save some time on the commute.

Old 02-21-2010, 03:30 PM

To be honest, we were already leaning towards Apple Valley because a) it seems that most of the employees from either office already live there and speak very highly of Apple Valley, and b) we stayed in Apple Valley during our vacation last June. Needless to say, we were very satisfied and found the area very appealing, which is why we are researching a possible move.

Slig mentioned saving commute time by living in Bloomington, which lead to my next question:

Realistically, how long are the AM and PM commutes between Apple Valley & Minneapolis and Apple Valley & Bloomington?

Old 02-21-2010, 05:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phlinak View Post
To be honest, we were already leaning towards Apple Valley because a) it seems that most of the employees from either office already live there and speak very highly of Apple Valley, and b) we stayed in Apple Valley during our vacation last June. Needless to say, we were very satisfied and found the area very appealing, which is why we are researching a possible move.

Slig mentioned saving commute time by living in Bloomington, which lead to my next question:

Realistically, how long are the AM and PM commutes between Apple Valley & Minneapolis and Apple Valley & Bloomington?
Depending on exactly where in Apple Valley (say from 140th St.) to Bloomington buy the MOA, 10 minutes, into Minneapolis is about 35 minutes without bad weather or accidents. The hop up Cedar is very easy. If you have a choice, pick the Bloomington office, mainly because you won't have to worry about parking costs and you can live out a little further and spend less money on a house.

Apple Valley has two high schools, Apple Valley and Eastview. If your kids are amazing soccer players, you want them at Apple Valley. If that isn't an issue, I would find something in the Eastview area. If your kids are musically inclined though, Rosemount is where you want to be. I have been looking for houses for my parents when they move back to Minnesota in a few months. I just looked at a really nice rambler in your price range in a great location.

If you don't mind living a little further out (but not bad) there is a GREAT rambler in Lakeville that I just looked at. The kitchen and bathrooms were all newly updated, it had a very nice finished basement with a very nice bathroom in the basement. There were 3 bedrooms on the main floor too. I think it is listed for $255,000 or there about. It was a awesome neighborhood too--lots of mature trees, a long cul de sac so NO traffic, but just a mile or so from 35.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul