Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2010, 03:05 PM

32 posts, read 56,259 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone,
I'm moving to the Twin Cities this summer and am trying to figure out the best neighborhoods for me. My job will be in Oakdale, but I've never actually lived IN the city so that's what I want to do, so no suburbs. I'm looking at Uptown and Calhoun-Isles, but there is less information on comparable information on neighborhoods in St. Paul. I'm 25, a professional, single, poet, and looking to really get involved with things. I don't want to commute more than 40 min in the morning if possible. Someone told me that from Mlps I'd be going against the rush hour traffic to my job so it wouldn't be so bad. Anyway, please let me know if the neighborhoods I'm considering are good choices and let me know of others that are good and safe! Thanks so much.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2010, 03:40 PM

10,624 posts, read 26,736,582 times
Much as I love Uptown, I think you'll regret the commute. St. Paul has a lot of nice neighborhoods; I'd definitely look over there first. I'm not as familiar with the St. Paul neighborhoods as I should be (although areas like Cathedral Hill are really nice...), so I'll let others make suggestions on that front. Do you have a rough sense of budget?

Old 02-22-2010, 05:20 PM

800 for a 1 bedroom MAX,prefer lower than that if possible.

Old 02-22-2010, 05:46 PM

20,793 posts, read 61,308,820 times
There is enough traffic going between Minneapolis and St. Paul that there isn't any "going against" traffic however it is POSSIBLE that if you are close enough to highway 36 and head out to Oakdale that way it might not be too bad (somewhere north of the new 35W bridge or so).

I agree that Summit/Capital Hill area might be a better choice--if not downtown St. Paul but that is pretty dead at night-not that Minneapolis is hopping on weeknights either but it is busier then St. Paul.

Old 02-22-2010, 07:57 PM

39 posts, read 128,472 times
Just my opinion, but.... St. Paul is way better than Minneapolis. I just love downtown and it would not be too bad of a drive to work and back. Oakdale is not a hopping place, so I can see why you wouldn't want to live there!

Old 02-22-2010, 10:49 PM

So I'm looking at Cathedral Hill, Summit Hill, Mac-Groveland, Grand Ave in St. Paul. Any other good areas? I think I heard something about a Merriam Park and Highland.

Old 02-23-2010, 03:02 AM

20,793 posts, read 61,308,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phxbelle View Post
So I'm looking at Cathedral Hill, Summit Hill, Mac-Groveland, Grand Ave in St. Paul. Any other good areas? I think I heard something about a Merriam Park and Highland.
Highland is a nice area but probably not what you are looking for if you want to live "in the city". It is more residential then "city". The Mac-Groveland area is going to be the same as Highland. Again, not bad, but not like living in downtown.

Old 02-23-2010, 07:14 AM

10,244 posts, read 16,373,570 times
You could probably find a loft in downtown St. Paul in the $800 range. There is alot of rent vacancy in general right now so you could probably negotiate a pretty good deal on a nice place. I wouldn't accept anything less than getting the first month free right now. Lots of places are offering that.

Old 02-24-2010, 10:45 AM

1,807 posts, read 3,095,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phxbelle View Post
Have you considered Payne-Phalen or Como?

Mac Groveland and Merriam Park are packed with College students-- could be a good thing or a bad thing, depending on your perspective. Cathedral Hill, Summit, and Grand are all really cool, young areas with lots of shopping and definately an urban feel.

But I wouldn't rule out something on the Greater East Side (Payne-Phalen or maybe parts of Como). If you're working in Oakdale, you might want to seriously consider it, since 94 through St. Paul gets pretty hairy in both directions around 5-6 pm, and you'd want to minimize your time on it. Plus, if it was the lakes that attracted you to Uptown in the first place, then you can get that same feel from either of those neighborhoods.

Old 02-24-2010, 09:56 PM

258 posts, read 648,022 times
If I were going to live in St. Paul I'd want to live somewhere near Grand Avenue. I go down there from time to time and always think it would be a nice urban area to live in. Downtown St. Paul may be nice but it seems kind of dead at night. I used to live near Selby and Fairview many years ago when I was a poor college student and I liked living around there. It's much nicer down there now especially near Selby and Snelling.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul