Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2010, 12:02 PM

335 posts, read 675,977 times

Advertisements

does anybody know the twincities metro area population? wikipedia lists it at 3.5 million but im not sure how accurate that is.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2010, 01:12 PM

34 posts, read 76,648 times
That is accurate for the entire area....The area that most people would consider "the metro" is around 3.2.

Old 03-13-2010, 02:00 PM

3,971 posts, read 9,678,729 times
That's about right.

Old 03-13-2010, 06:40 PM

2,031 posts, read 2,988,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smith21 View Post
does anybody know the twincities metro area population? wikipedia lists it at 3.5 million but im not sure how accurate that is.
Wikipedia is extensively footnoted and in this case contains links directly to the source of the 3.5 million figure - the Census Bureau's annual estimates of CSA populations. The 3.5 million figure comes from 2006, up from 3.3 million per the 2000 census. A little googling could probably give you a figure more recent, maybe from 2008 - doubt you'd find anything more current than that. So using the increase from 2000 (hard figures) to 2006 (Census Bureau estimate) you could extrapolate that in the 4 years since 2006 the metro area has gained another 100k to 200k, leaving the metro with a current population of 3.6 or maybe 3.7 million.

Census Bureau information is about as definitive as you're going to get.

Of course, there are varying definitions of "Twin Cities" and "Minneapolis-St. Paul Metropolitan Area" and those varying definitions will yield different populations results.

Old 03-13-2010, 08:15 PM

383 posts, read 900,913 times
Wikipedia lists the TC area as being polarized around Saint Cloud, Minneapolis, Bloomington and Saint Paul. The traditional, 7 county area is about 2.8 million last time I checked.

Old 03-14-2010, 12:29 PM

335 posts, read 675,977 times
looks like the twincities will hit 4 million before 2015.

Old 03-14-2010, 08:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smith21 View Post
looks like the twincities will hit 4 million before 2015.
Maybe, but growth has slowed down.
Commercial and residential construction hasn't been happening like before.
People aren't settling down and having children as early in life, and people are having less kids.

Old 03-14-2010, 09:19 PM

11,334 posts, read 26,086,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by knke0204 View Post
Maybe, but growth has slowed down.
Commercial and residential construction hasn't been happening like before.
People aren't settling down and having children as early in life, and people are having less kids.
The first two things are happening all over the country. The rest might be as well, I don't know.

Old 03-14-2010, 11:12 PM

124 posts, read 369,173 times
Pretty sure the weather is the biggest limiting factor. It's kind of hard to convince people to move to a metro area with the distinction of having the coldest mean temperature of any major metro in the U.S. Moreover, the cities are extremely isolated in comparison to "normal" midwestern cities like Chicago, St. Louis, Indianapolis, etc.

Twin Cities winters are downright brutal, and I think that if the climate was either humid subtropical (like Nashville or Louisville) or semi-arid (like Denver or Boise), the metro population would already be somewhere near 4.5-5 million

Old 03-18-2010, 02:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stiery23 View Post
Pretty sure the weather is the biggest limiting factor. It's kind of hard to convince people to move to a metro area with the distinction of having the coldest mean temperature of any major metro in the U.S. Moreover, the cities are extremely isolated in comparison to "normal" midwestern cities like Chicago, St. Louis, Indianapolis, etc.

Twin Cities winters are downright brutal, and I think that if the climate was either humid subtropical (like Nashville or Louisville) or semi-arid (like Denver or Boise), the metro population would already be somewhere near 4.5-5 million

Brutal, yes. But I think it's similar to what many Sun Belt states face in the summer, unbearable temps. Las Vegas, Phoenix, ABQ, San Antonio, Houston, Atlanta, Florida, SoCal (inland) are almost all unbearable in the summer time, just as bad as MN's winters.

I was talking to a relative last week and I said "I would just love to live in a place where I can walk outside in my flip-flops and a t-shirt in the middle of January"

She replied with "There arent many places that you can do that" and it's true. I think a lot of MN's seem to have this hatred for winter because they feel like peers in other parts of the country are basking in the sun and living on the beach.

You can't be in Tshirts, shorts, and flp flops in January in Dallas, San Diego, Vegas, Atlanta, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul