Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2010, 09:46 PM

71 posts, read 430,230 times

Advertisements

I live in the west part of Minneapolis and am looking at going back to school. University of Minnesota seems like an obvious choice, but it's very expensive ($350 a credit) and just getting more expensive. If they keep raising prices like this, I'm going to be spending $15,000 a year on ONLY tuition by my final year. Also, I tried visiting classes and nearly every professor was a difficult to understand foreigner.

What colleges in this area are good colleges that are preferably less expensive than the U of M? I would like to go for Engineering.

Old 03-31-2010, 04:25 AM

20,793 posts, read 61,287,454 times
For engineering, the U of M will be the least expensive school in the Twin Cities. The rest of the colleges are all private universities and run in the 40-50K range, however, if you have good grades you can usually get better scholarships and aid from private colleges/universities then you can from state schools so don't be so focused on the cost of a school right now.

Hamline, Macalaster, St. Thomas are all great schools. You could also look south of the cities at St. Olaf and Carleton.

Old 03-31-2010, 09:13 AM

459 posts, read 2,227,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CloudyDaysForever View Post
I live in the west part of Minneapolis and am looking at going back to school. University of Minnesota seems like an obvious choice, but it's very expensive ($350 a credit) and just getting more expensive. If they keep raising prices like this, I'm going to be spending $15,000 a year on ONLY tuition by my final year. Also, I tried visiting classes and nearly every professor was a difficult to understand foreigner.

What colleges in this area are good colleges that are preferably less expensive than the U of M? I would like to go for Engineering.
May we ask what specific discipline in Engineering you are interested in (Mechanical, Civil, Electrical, Chemical)? For most disciplines, the U of M is your only option for a 4 year degree. Not to say you couldn't take some of your Math (which any engineering discipine will require alot of) and English Composition classes anywhere and transfer them later on...In fact, most community colleges have an engineering program tailored for transfer into the U of M (or other large state Universities).

Old 04-01-2010, 12:11 AM

I was thinking Electrical. I've heard of the MNTC, what schools offer an engineering program for transfer into the U of M?

Old 04-01-2010, 07:00 AM

459 posts, read 2,227,547 times
Quote:
I was thinking Electrical. I've heard of the MNTC, what schools offer an engineering program for transfer into the U of M?
Electrical is one of the disciplines where the U of M is your only choice for the 4 year if you are wanting to stay in the Twin Cities.

I know Normandale has an engineering program tailored for transferring to the U of M. The essence of the program is lke the MNTC, but it is different in that it is very tailored to the engineering disciplines and heavy on math and physics. You take 2 full years of calculus (and any remedial math you might need to place into calculus), a full year of calculus based physics, full year of english composition, and several engineering electives.

I would imagine Inver Hills would have something similar and probably Anoka Hennipin. It is definetly a good way to save some money as you are able to take nearly 2 years worth of credits at the community college.

Old 04-01-2010, 07:56 PM

3,971 posts, read 9,673,910 times
Just screw the cities and say hello to Husky land. SCSU!

After all, their hockey team and basketball team is better than the U!!

Old 04-01-2010, 10:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by knke0204 View Post
After all, their hockey team and basketball team is better than the U!!
I definitely think hockey and basketball is great method for choosing a school! In fact, that's why I fully endorse the U of M spending 40 million on a new stadium! I hope one day our entire future can be based around who wins the super bowl! Man, China and India are huge suckers for not spending millions of dollars and countless hours on sports!

Old 04-02-2010, 09:27 AM

Quote:
I definitely think hockey and basketball is great method for choosing a school! In fact, that's why I fully endorse the U of M spending 40 million on a new stadium! I hope one day our entire future can be based around who wins the super bowl! Man, China and India are huge suckers for not spending millions of dollars and countless hours on sports!

Wow, chill it buddy.

It was a joke. Maybe if you frequent this forum more you would understand that I'm a huge SCSU fan, a rival of the U of M in hockey. Try posting more than once a week and you would know that.

Also, Athletes and Acadamia have a direct correlation. Often Validictorians of graduating class are All Star Athletes, many times competing in 3 sports year 'round.

So, what come's first the apple or the tree?

Old 04-03-2010, 01:12 AM

2,346 posts, read 6,924,609 times
You might not want to dismiss St. Cloud State so readily.

They have an EE program that attracts a lot of Twin City people, both college-aged and adult. From the west side of the Cities, the commute isn't unreasonable.

It's not as whoop-de-doo as the U of M's program, but at least the professors won't be as full of themselves. Also, you'll be taking classes from the actual professors, not TAs. The price tag will certainly be lower.

If you're starting from ground zero, going to Normandale, North Hennepin, or Anoka-Ramsey is excellent advice. All the community colleges have pre-engineering curricula in place that will allow an easy transfer to the engineering programs at the U of M, UMD, St. Cloud, MSU-Mankato, and Winona State.

Old 04-03-2010, 08:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big G View Post
You might not want to dismiss St. Cloud State so readily.

They have an EE program that attracts a lot of Twin City people, both college-aged and adult. From the west side of the Cities, the commute isn't unreasonable.

It's not as whoop-de-doo as the U of M's program, but at least the professors won't be as full of themselves. Also, you'll be taking classes from the actual professors, not TAs. The price tag will certainly be lower.

If you're starting from ground zero, going to Normandale, North Hennepin, or Anoka-Ramsey is excellent advice. All the community colleges have pre-engineering curricula in place that will allow an easy transfer to the engineering programs at the U of M, UMD, St. Cloud, MSU-Mankato, and Winona State.

While I agree with much of this, I don't think it's fair to say "At least the professors won't be as full of themselves"... But again, I've had almost no experience at the U of M... But, You still get that professor smugness at SCSU. My time at SCSU however brought me really close with my professors, something I wonder if I would have been able to do at the U.

I agree with the Normandale, North Hennepin, Anoka-Ramsey advice if money is an issue. I never heard much about SCSU's engineering program, but I do know that UofM's is great, and so is UMD's.

SCSU does have satellite classrooms in Maple Grove but I believe those are for MBa or Graduate programs.

From Maple Grove to SCSU campus it's about an hour drive if you take it easy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul