Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2010, 11:22 PM

71 posts, read 430,382 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by knke0204 View Post
Also, Athletes and Acadamia have a direct correlation. Often Validictorians of graduating class are All Star Athletes, many times competing in 3 sports year 'round.
So your argument is that 40 million dollar is better spent on a few sport players than if you spent 40 million dollars helping ALL OF THE students who actually paid the 40 million dollars?

I think sports are MORE ridiculous than people who dress up as elves and hit each other with foam weapons or the people who dress up as furry animals (although sports have those as well). See, the elves and the furries don't go around demanding my tax dollars to subsidize their little games with imaginary importance.

Sports are parasitic.

Old 04-05-2010, 10:04 AM

3,971 posts, read 9,680,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CloudyDaysForever View Post
So your argument is that 40 million dollar is better spent on a few sport players than if you spent 40 million dollars helping ALL OF THE students who actually paid the 40 million dollars?

I think sports are MORE ridiculous than people who dress up as elves and hit each other with foam weapons or the people who dress up as furry animals (although sports have those as well). See, the elves and the furries don't go around demanding my tax dollars to subsidize their little games with imaginary importance.

Sports are parasitic.
Where do I argue that? Reading comprehension is key. I'm actually not arguing anything. I don't argue facts, and the facts are that athletes are generally superior in terms of physicality, and in terms of academics. The discipline, courage and focus you earn while in sports spills over into the classroom. Again, there are athletes who can't count to ten, but for the most part, especially in high school, the best students are generally successful athletes.

I don't even know what you're arguing. Honestly, are you talking about State spending on k-12 education or post-secondary education. Because if you're talking post-secondary, then you make no sense. You think it's a travesty that a U of M student had to contribute to a $40 million stadium? Well, that student should have researched that when deciding on which schools to attend, it's not the school's fault.

A lot more goes into the college experience then the dollars put into a classroom, whether you like it or not. While I'm not the biggest fan of allocating millions to a stadium, I don't think it took away or hindered any of the teaching of education at the U.

As a Big 10 school with 40,000 students, there is almost no on campus comraderie at the U. The stadium is something that was a long time coming, and it's only going to add to the value of the land there, the appeal of the U, and strengthen the student body.

Old 04-05-2010, 10:11 PM

71 posts, read 430,382 times
Quote:
I'm actually not arguing anything. I don't argue facts, and the facts are that athletes are generally superior in terms of physicality, and in terms of academics.
Your argument is that its better to spend this money on a couple of athletes instead of the whole student body. I don't care how good of students these athletes are, there's maybe 100 of them? How many students attend the U? 50,000?

Quote:
Honestly, are you talking about State spending on k-12 education or post-secondary education.
The U of M, being a public school, is subsidized by tax dollars.

Quote:
Well, that student should have researched that when deciding on which schools to attend, it's not the school's fault.
How many universities DO NOT have a sports team? Oh right, everybody is forced to "participate" in contributing to sports. Just like how the idiots who run Hennepin County are forcing us to pay for a new stadium for a crappy team.

Quote:
A lot more goes into the college experience then the dollars put into a classroom, whether you like it or not.
I don't like team sports. My college experience involves going rock climbing at Vertical Endeavors. Are you forced to pay for my gym membership? How about you pay for my rock climbing, and I'll pay for your stadium.

Quote:
As a Big 10 school with 40,000 students, there is almost no on campus comraderie at the U. The stadium is something that was a long time coming, and it's only going to add to the value of the land there, the appeal of the U, and strengthen the student body.
I don't give a crap about your primitive tribalism. Teaching the US vs THEM thinking is what makes you idiots so gullible. OMG THERE'S NUKES IN IRAQ! US vs THEM! GO GO GO GO GO GO!!!!!

The rising costs of tuition is definitely going to DECREASE the appeal of the U.

A stadium makes land more valuable? With how many stadiums we keep building? Are you freaking kidding me?

All you seem to be proving to me is that sport fanatics are dangerous idiots.

Old 04-05-2010, 10:48 PM

1,080 posts, read 2,269,650 times
Shut the hell up you ignorant liberal piece of ****. If you don't like sports, go to ****ing Macalaster.

OH MY! THE OUTRAGEOUS TUITION AT THE U!!! Maybe you should check your facts and you'd find the U has the lowest out of state tuition amongst all top 25 public universities in the country and has decreased its acceptance rate from 80% to just above 40% in the last decade.

Look at Michigan, Duke, Notre Dame, USC, North Carolina, Berkeley, Wisconsin, Boston College, Georgetown, Virginia, Vanderbilt, Stanford; heck even Cornell had a basetball team made it to Sweet 16 this year. They all spend millions on sports- they must all be crap institutions!!!

Well there are what, 8 million some people in the state? Obviously the vast majority are not gonna take one class at the U of M. Should we cancel all classes because they are being subsidized by tax dollars that aren't going to everyone? You don't know how much people like you annoy me. Grow some state pride.

(BTW, this is coming from a UW Madison alum who generally despises Gopher sports)

Old 04-06-2010, 04:00 AM

Location: Moved to Gladstone, MO in June 2022 and back to Minnesota in September 2022
2,072 posts, read 5,064,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CloudyDaysForever View Post
I definitely think hockey and basketball is great method for choosing a school! In fact, that's why I fully endorse the U of M spending 40 million on a new stadium! I hope one day our entire future can be based around who wins the super bowl! Man, China and India are huge suckers for not spending millions of dollars and countless hours on sports!
You are probably the most ignorant person I have ever seen on City Data
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul