Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2010, 12:35 AM

10,624 posts, read 26,741,991 times

Advertisements

I'm up way too late, too, but I'd say besides class (or maybe more so than class) the "ism" most likely to be encountered in MN is probably bias against Muslims; that's not in any way to suggest that it's rampant, but it seems to be the one thing that surfaces more than anything else. I'd say that's true in many parts of the United States, though, at least in recent years. And in MN the "Muslims must be terrorist" mentality (the woman who told McCain that Obama was an "A-rab" -- and seemed to equate that with "terrorist" or "out to convert America into a Muslim nation" -- at that town hall meeting was, unfortunately, from Shakopee, for example) also perhaps collides with antagonism towards immigrants with the rapidly increasing Somali population. I still don't think most Minnesotans are racist (or anti-Muslim), but obviously some are. (and most Minnesotans don't care about what church you go or don't go to -- I say that as someone who is not religious)

But back to the original poster, just because some people are rude to you doesn't mean that it's because they're racist. They could just be rude people. Or you could just be overreacting or misunderstanding the situation. Or maybe they are racist -- could be, I suppose. But that certainly doesn't translate to "most" white Minnesotans are racist.

Old 05-02-2010, 12:53 AM

5,509 posts, read 11,882,194 times
I hate Packer fans -- especially white Packer fans that live in Minnesota!!!

Old 05-02-2010, 02:22 AM

117 posts, read 377,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 303miles View Post
I just moved here from Denver, and it I am treated VERY differently here. It's like people are scared to talk to you, or they are EXTREMELY rude to you. Does anyone else feel this way. Denver is just as diverse but we are more down to earth and not afraid of diversity. Its not segregated in Denver either.
no not at all

Old 05-02-2010, 02:31 AM

117 posts, read 377,661 times
As someone who grew up across the street from Denver (Aurora) my place was across the street from the city and county of Denver, I have to say what are you talking about? Denver is more segregrated, when I lived there the Mexicans owned the Westside, try Federal and the black folks lived on the East side try Aurora, Montbello, and Park Hill. My wife's step dad who grew up in Memphis told me that no one ever adressed him as the N word until he moved to Denver. And Minneapolis, St Paul and the Brooklyn's have more African American residents than Denver and Aurora so again I don't think labeling this area racist really sounds credible. Further have you seen the amount of inter racial couples and children that live here? Other than the real west coast (not Denver, we wanna be like Compton) this area has the highest percentage of bi-racial children. Check out the soon to be published census results...........

Old 05-02-2010, 06:07 AM

383 posts, read 901,098 times
West336: The point I was making is that most white liberals don't experience racism. They have no concept of it. Honestly, the more they try to "feel our pain", the more they come off as condescending, patronizing wannabes.

Re: Uptown Urbanist. I will agree that there is a lot of anti-Somali bias. I've personally seen police officers harass Somali youths. I just look Somali and I've been harassed by the Police before they saw my very Anglo sounding last name on my ID and left me be.

Old 05-02-2010, 06:32 AM

10,659 posts, read 10,730,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 303miles View Post
I just moved here from Denver, and it I am treated VERY differently here. It's like people are scared to talk to you, or they are EXTREMELY rude to you. Does anyone else feel this way. Denver is just as diverse but we are more down to earth and not afraid of diversity. Its not segregated in Denver either.
Right away everyones a racist...Maybe your a one yourself? or perhaps just a jerk Look internally before casting dispersions at the world at large.....
P.S. I hear Denver is a nice town perhaps you would have betterluck there???

Old 05-02-2010, 09:05 AM

1,080 posts, read 2,269,879 times
Quote:
I hate Packer fans -- especially white Packer fans that live in Minnesota!!!
I can't like this post enough.

Old 05-02-2010, 09:38 AM

5,509 posts, read 11,882,194 times
West336: The point I was making is that most white liberals don't experience racism. They have no concept of it. Honestly, the more they try to "feel our pain", the more they come off as condescending, patronizing wannabes.

And the point I was trying to make is that you are 100% wrong, and you're being naive. I don't care what race you are you shouldn't be making assumptions like that because you really don't know what you are talking about.

Old 05-02-2010, 10:56 AM

2,652 posts, read 8,583,766 times
Yep, all white Minnesotans are racist. Every last one of them.

Old 05-02-2010, 12:00 PM

7,572 posts, read 9,022,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slig View Post
Where exactly are you living? I just got done spending a week in Denver and the people I interacted probably had more similiarities than differences in than with Minnesotans. It felt very midwestern there. Also, it seems like there were more transplants in Denver so that may result in people being more openminded and more willing to talk to new people.
I have to agree with this (can you believe it, Slig????) I lived in Denver for 2 years and felt at home there immediately. The only thing I had to adapt to was the altitude.

I am real tired of this race stuff. You would think by now, 2010, people would just get over it. It's purely individual - how you behave and conduct yourself. Most racial ideas are passed down from generation to generation and seem to get diluted with each generation - hopefully one day it just won't be an issue. If everyone stopped talking about it I bet it would happen a lot sooner.

I think we have more important things to concern ourselves with.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul