Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2010, 07:57 PM

5,984 posts, read 13,417,021 times

Advertisements

Another vote for Annandale. It's a really nice small town.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2010, 04:09 AM

Location: Moved to Gladstone, MO in June 2022 and back to Minnesota in September 2022
2,072 posts, read 5,064,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingwriter View Post
Another vote for Annandale. It's a really nice small town.
Best thing about Annandale is the school district Annandale also has a decent though kind of overpriced grocery store called the Marketplace and it is better then the Marketplace in Cokato. They just built the new one and it opened in like 2002 or 2003 I believe. I lived in Annandale from when I was born in 1992 all the way to 2008! It's my hometown Plus Annandale is closer to St. Cloud and the Twin Cities then Cokato is. Theres also plenty of lakes there that surround the city (or town, whichever you prefer to classify it as) and thats how it got the nickname heart of the lakes.
Theres also a couple golf courses and Southbrook golf course is an excellent place to trick or treat on Halloween if you have kids. Thats where I always went for Halloween.

One thing I always wondered is why is the Elementary school called Bendix Elementary and not Annandale Elementary. To this day I have no clue what Bendix is or what it means. lol
If anyone knows then please share!

I always hated how the Holiday gas station was on the opposite side of highway 55 and when I would bike there i'd have to cross it grrrr. But when I got older it wasn't a problem, just when I was younger.

Old 06-25-2010, 12:25 PM

1,080 posts, read 2,269,650 times
For hockey:
1)Grand Rapids
2)Roseau
3)Warroad
4)Morehead
5)Virginia
6)Bemidji
7)Cloquet
8)Hermantown
9)Little Falls
10)Alexandria

(This obviously excludes St Cloud and Duluth which are larger than what it sounds like the OP wants)

Old 06-25-2010, 04:19 PM

5,984 posts, read 13,417,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Radical_Car View Post
Best thing about Annandale is the school district Annandale also has a decent though kind of overpriced grocery store called the Marketplace and it is better then the Marketplace in Cokato. They just built the new one and it opened in like 2002 or 2003 I believe. I lived in Annandale from when I was born in 1992 all the way to 2008! It's my hometown Plus Annandale is closer to St. Cloud and the Twin Cities then Cokato is. Theres also plenty of lakes there that surround the city (or town, whichever you prefer to classify it as) and thats how it got the nickname heart of the lakes.
Theres also a couple golf courses and Southbrook golf course is an excellent place to trick or treat on Halloween if you have kids. Thats where I always went for Halloween.

One thing I always wondered is why is the Elementary school called Bendix Elementary and not Annandale Elementary. To this day I have no clue what Bendix is or what it means. lol
If anyone knows then please share!

I always hated how the Holiday gas station was on the opposite side of highway 55 and when I would bike there i'd have to cross it grrrr. But when I got older it wasn't a problem, just when I was younger.
Ya. I've only been to Annandale once, but I really liked what I saw. I love small Midwestern towns. I'm from a town like that in Michigan (slightly larger), and I'm sure I would love living in Annandale. It is quite far from the Cities, though, even though it's technically part of the Metro.

Old 06-26-2010, 12:23 AM

Location: Moved to Gladstone, MO in June 2022 and back to Minnesota in September 2022
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingwriter View Post
Ya. I've only been to Annandale once, but I really liked what I saw. I love small Midwestern towns. I'm from a town like that in Michigan (slightly larger), and I'm sure I would love living in Annandale. It is quite far from the Cities, though, even though it's technically part of the Metro.
Ya its great

Another thing I loved is we always left doors and vehicles and such unlocked because it was overall a safe town, and I usually didn't pay attention to the news or anything so Im not sure how often severe crime or whatever usually occurred there, but we always left the house and vehicle unlocked.
If mom had to run out at 1 pm for a few hours she'd leave the house unlocked for when we would get home from school. We go to church, we would leave it unlocked.
I also was always able to bike or walk around the entire town and go wherever I would wish, like the grocery store or the gas station or to a friends house.
As a kid being close to the cities didn't matter and it is indeed less then an hour from St. Cloud, but as Im maturing into a young adult small towns like Annandale isn't where I want to be at, but it is fantastic for parents looking for a great school district in a nice safe community.

Old 06-28-2010, 10:15 AM

1 posts, read 1,073 times
I would Rochester, Mn. Its a small big town. Beautiful city, good fishing, great schools and quite. I live here and I love it.

Last edited by golfgal; 06-28-2010 at 11:18 AM..

Old 06-28-2010, 11:19 AM

1,178 posts, read 2,707,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rochesternoah View Post
I would Rochester, Mn. Its a small big town. Beautiful city, good fishing, great schools and quite. I live here and I love it.
Could you please provide some insight in the Duluth Vs Rochester thread? I am very interested in the City of Rochester. I haven't ever been there enough to experience it. What's it like?

Old 06-30-2010, 03:04 AM

1,873 posts, read 4,411,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kebinminn View Post
Park Rapids.
I stopped there for gas a few years ago, when I was on my way to Wisconsin to visit family, I took kind of the scenic route through northern Minnesota.

Then I stopped at Subway. Sub was on sale $1.99. I gave her two dollars. She said I was short a few cents. I gave her a look that said, "Whatchu talkin' bout Willis?" And she said, "Tax comes to $2.15." (Or whatever it was, I can't remember.) I said, "Ohhh, I forgotttt." No tax in Montana, you see...

But anyhoo, yeah that's a cute little town.

Old 07-01-2010, 02:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnesconsinite View Post
I stopped there for gas a few years ago, when I was on my way to Wisconsin to visit family, I took kind of the scenic route through northern Minnesota.

Then I stopped at Subway. Sub was on sale $1.99. I gave her two dollars. She said I was short a few cents. I gave her a look that said, "Whatchu talkin' bout Willis?" And she said, "Tax comes to $2.15." (Or whatever it was, I can't remember.) I said, "Ohhh, I forgotttt." No tax in Montana, you see...

But anyhoo, yeah that's a cute little town.
Haha, I've heard that same story from people who live in Oregon and whatever other few states that don't have sales tax, I also love hearing people from Oregon and New Jersey when they go to a different state and they forget that there not in Oregon or New Jersey and they have to pump their own gas.

Old 07-01-2010, 03:32 PM

1,873 posts, read 4,411,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Radical_Car View Post
Haha, I've heard that same story from people who live in Oregon and whatever other few states that don't have sales tax, I also love hearing people from Oregon and New Jersey when they go to a different state and they forget that there not in Oregon or New Jersey and they have to pump their own gas.
There's actually a gas station in Superior, WI that is full service! I was getting gas to start heading back to Montana (this is the same trip as the Subway incident), and this little old man came to my window and asked what kind of gas I wanted. It was pretty cool. It just looked like a normal station. Can't remember the name of it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota