Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2009, 11:17 AM

95 posts, read 639,894 times

Advertisements

I have thought about attending this university, but am a bit worried about the blizzard conditions, coming from down south. Should I be worried about the cold weather? Also I would like to know anything about the university.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2009, 12:11 PM

4,362 posts, read 6,531,023 times
I can only tell you this; the cold is by far worse than the snow. If you can not acclamate to cold weather, stay where ever south is.

The city of Bemidji is a great place to visit. There isn't a better setting for secondary education. If you long for the big city, you better stay put because Bemidji isn't for you. It is awfully isolated in regards to bigger cities but it's own size brings in enough culture business and education oportunities to sustain it this far north. The perfect setting if you want to remain less distracted while attending College. If you want to live and school where winter can be a blast, this is the place for you.

Old 02-21-2009, 08:46 PM

75 posts, read 188,814 times
Don't do it, go to school in the south this cold ass weather snow or not sucks. There is nothing to do in bemidji, everyone drives 2 miles an hour, it's just dull. ASU in AZ is a great school and has perfect weather 9 months out of the year vs. 2 in MN. It's a small town basically and dull, find a bigger town and school so you can at least enjoy your years while you're there.

Old 02-21-2009, 08:48 PM

75 posts, read 188,814 times
OH, also this town sucks for jobs they compete for fast food jobs so finding a part time gig while going to school would be difficult specially with the way the market is now.

Old 02-22-2009, 07:02 PM

1,465 posts, read 4,575,378 times
Really, I don't see why anyone out of state would want to go to Bemidji... especially someone from the south. As a rule: Minneapolis is cold. Duluth is colder. Bemidji and more places north of Duluth are colder than Duluth. Also, there really isn't much to do in Bemidji.

It's not just the cold weather to worry about, but you'll be bored, most of the time, I'm sure.

Only thing is, you don't have to be worried about blizzard conditions. That happens once or twice a winter, if that, sometimes.

Old 02-23-2009, 08:56 AM

865 posts, read 2,501,554 times
Don't listen to the wimps. You can handle cold and snow, it's a beautiful setting with outdoor recreation, and life is what you make it. Apparently some have a hard time making it on their own and need distractions and "things to do" thrown at them.

Old 02-23-2009, 11:27 AM

1,465 posts, read 4,575,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roneb View Post
Don't listen to the wimps. You can handle cold and snow, it's a beautiful setting with outdoor recreation, and life is what you make it. Apparently some have a hard time making it on their own and need distractions and "things to do" thrown at them.
The wimps? You must be a wimp then, since you live in Portland, OR. Why don't YOU live there?

I'm sure any CAN handle the cold and snow, it's just a matter of if you really WANT to handle the cold and snow. Most people I know don't. Though there are some people that absolutely love the cold.

I've been there before, it's just not for me. And I doubt many people from the south would truly like it.

Old 02-23-2009, 12:50 PM

865 posts, read 2,501,554 times
My preference would be to live in Northern MN - Duluth specifically. I went to college in Moorhead and had a brother who lived in Deer River for years, so I am familiar with the area and the climate. I'm stuck in Portland (which everyone seems to think of as some kind of Mecca) because a) my wife grew up here and doesn't want to move, and b) the current economic climate doesn't offer much in the way of job opportunities/career changes.

Old 02-23-2009, 01:22 PM

11,334 posts, read 26,081,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by acrylic View Post
The wimps? You must be a wimp then, since you live in Portland, OR. Why don't YOU live there?
Not everyone can live where they want to. Find my wife and I comparable jobs and a comparable home in the Twin Cities to what we have here, for example, and I would move back in a heartbeat.

I grew up in the Twin Cities, and it wasn't exactly by choice that I left ... more out of economic necessity than anything else. A job was better than continued unemployment.

And yes, I'm one of the ones who misses the cold and snow, though less and less as time goes on. There's something nice about having occasional temps in the 50's and 60's during the winter months.

Old 02-23-2009, 03:03 PM

4,362 posts, read 6,531,023 times
I beg to differ with the opinion that Bemidji is boring. That would be the opinion of the poster only, there is plenty to do there. It is a choice to live in a remotely somewhat sizeable city with just enough culture to make it slightly different than say smaller less populated areas that can not support secondary education.

As for the cold, it isn't all that. It gets FREEZING but hey, we're a tough breed. Like roneb said, life is what you make of it. May as well enjoy winter when it's served up for you over easy like this. The arctic circle it's not. We can and do function, and some of us actually enjoy winter. Maybe not the extreem of it, but that part comes with it. Want to learn to ice fish in style? It's done here that way, anywhere from basic walk out and open up a hole in the ice to heated shacks sitting out in the middle of the lake.

Also - there are other seasons of the year. It's not Winter 365 days out of the year. Summer time up there is spectacular, the mosquitos can grow as large as airplanes. (not serious) Wanna see bald eagles on a regular basis? You will here. Want to see where the Mississippi river turns and heads back down south? You can do that too. All forms of watersport, fishing boating swimming or tubing, what ever...

Dude, ain't nothin wrong with Bemidji. It just isn't for everyone. No need to bash it. Nothing to do huh? Bemidji Minnesota Family Vacation - Hotels - Motels - Resorts - VCB
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota