Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2008, 08:38 AM

34 posts, read 290,117 times

Advertisements

I don't know about anyone else who is from Minnesota, but despite all of the hick remarks about Minnesotans, I think it the best state to live and raise a family in throughout the United States. I was wondering what other people who grew up in the state think about it?

Old 02-02-2008, 09:17 AM

120 posts, read 470,728 times
Default I miss Minnesota

As a native that has lived in various other states and outside of the country, I've found that some people tend to group Minnesota in with all the other midwestern states. Of course alot of these people are not familiar with Minnesota and tend to think if could very well be Nebraska or N. Dakota for example. This is true especially from Southerners. I currently live in Denver and find the some people here more "hick" than Mn. The average Minnesotan is better educated and speaks correct English. Denver seems to have a bit more "ghetto" feel to it. Aside from the weather, I miss Minneapolis and have plans to move back next year. I feel that Minnesota does stand out in a positive way from other Midwestern states, no offense. It has alot to be proud of. Just my 2 cents....

Old 02-02-2008, 01:05 PM

201 posts, read 432,627 times
I'd say pretty flippin awesome

Old 02-02-2008, 07:05 PM

34 posts, read 290,117 times
I'd have to agree with you on that one. And people who don't like it haven't experienced it.

Look at all there is to see in Minnesota-

http://www.letsgo.com/image/page/community/blogs/2007/cara/eaglemount.jpg (broken link)

Old 02-04-2008, 12:23 AM

137 posts, read 611,965 times
Is there more to Minnesota than the twin cities? Just kidding, just wanted to start a fight... My ideal perfect town is in terms of population 10k to no more than 30k in the woods and surrounded by lakes with free or affordable public access.

Old 02-04-2008, 05:55 AM

47 posts, read 225,536 times
Default Downtown A Disaster

The downtown Minneapolis has A LOT of empty retail spaces. Sad. The new glitzy Block E was supposed to replace the former that received most of the police calls. But it is STILL the crime hot spot. Lots of arrests for drugs, assaults, stealing, holdups.

Should have left it alone.

Walk through the top floor of what was once a thriving, bustling City Center. Scary. No business at all. All the storefronts are empty!!!

Old 02-04-2008, 01:44 PM

721 posts, read 2,610,320 times
Duluth is a great place to raise your family and has a high quality of life with good schools, hospitals, and outdoor recreation. New hosptial expansions, new Sheraton downtown, and most likely a new arena auditorium to be built soon.

http://teacherweb.com/MN/MinneotaHighSchool/Olson/tp_duluth.jpg (broken link)

UMD

Lake Superior
http://www.minnesotaslakes.com/LakePages_BWCA/lake_superior6.jpg (broken link)

Last edited by Administrator; 09-29-2009 at 01:48 PM.. Reason: copyright infringement - DMCA Complaint

Old 02-04-2008, 01:50 PM

2,885 posts, read 1,984,649 times
I think what Minnesota has going for it is beauty, cleanliness, foliage, forests, countryside within 20 minutes of the Twin Cities and so MANY lakes both within the cities and out. The city parks and lakes are gorgeous, well maintained, the lifestyle is sooooo very, very easy - people let you be and there is a lot going on in the Twin Cities - museums, plays, sports, cozy-looking communities, and quiet; good hospitals, at least five universities in the Twin Cities alone. Them off to the country for fishing and hunting. Minnesotans take their playtime very seriously and are quite laid back. A very unstressful lifestyle.

Old 02-04-2008, 05:12 PM

865 posts, read 2,501,773 times
Newcastle, if you don't mind my asking, where did you find those shots of Duluth? They're different from many that I've seen. Love the shot of UMD looking towards downtown. Duluth also gets my vote as ideal place!

Old 02-07-2008, 04:51 PM

559 posts, read 1,323,849 times
I think Minnesota is one of the best states in the nation. Not comparable to Nebraska or Kansas at all. (considering that the twin cities alone have more people than the whole state of Nebraska). The only things I personally do not like are the arctic blasts that they get in Jan-Feb and winter last a little too long. But I very much like the other seasons.
One thing Ive noticed about native Minnesotans is that if you dont own a cabin up north or have a camper to go up north in the summer, you are the odd man out and might as well be from outer space. (at least in the burbs)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota