Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2007, 05:07 AM

987 posts, read 3,824,056 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JenLee View Post
Kuan, that's a good reminder for all of us.
I was trying to be a bit facetious, but thanks for getting it JenLee. Truth is, there is no one typical Minnesotan. The one value that lingers in many of us, (can I say us even though I'm native Californian?) is the concept of allmansratten. We still believe that the outdoors should be for everyone, whether it be hiking, biking, canoeing, hunting, fishing, or skiing.

Old 07-18-2007, 08:21 AM

149 posts, read 608,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chilaili View Post
Minnesota Nice to me never meant actually being nice to one another. I lived there 10 years and realised after the first 6-12 months that all Minnesota Nice meant was a) never being honest with someone, b) telling someone what you think they want to hear and c) never ever letting an outsider into your little clique of family and friends but being oh so polite to them the rest of the time. Thankfully over the years I did meet several Minnesotans who did not conform to this culture and made me feel welcome and wanted, rather than a pariah. Maybe the reason some of the immigrants don't mingle or talk is because they sense they're not really wanted? So why bust a gut trying to make friends with people who smile with their mouths but never their eyes?
AMEN to that! I moved here from Pittsburgh in 1982 and kept hearing about this "Minnesota Nice". Now, I'm a white Irish/English/German gal, but I wasn't part of that small Norwegian/German/Swedish community and it seemed that was made quite clear. Oh, yes, they were "nice" in the polite sort of way, but it took close to 20 years for people to not treat me like an outsider. I'm not saying everyone was like that, but I'm in a small town and deal with the small town mindset.

My daughter lives in Minneapolis--big difference there! Diversity (in not just race) and acceptance is the norm from what I see.

Old 07-18-2007, 02:34 PM

6 posts, read 41,338 times
Default Small Town--Glad to Get Out!

I grew up in a small town where everyone's ancestors were German or Catholic, going back several generations. I was one of the first biracial children born in that town. I can honestly say that I faced discrimination and racism almost every day of my life. I was called "******" and "oreo" on the playground, by kids who knew what it meant when I didn't. Mothers would not let their kids play with me. When I read the story about Martin Luther King Jr., who experienced the same kind of predjudice with one of his friends, it was such a relief--I knew what that felt like! The town did not carry hair products or make-up for people of color. The music was all the same--top 40 or country, no diversity. It seemed on every level you either belonged or you didnt.

I was so glad to move. I love the diversity in the city and all the new opportunities. I love the food, clothing, music and language of the various immigrant groups who live here. I love shopping at Midtown and learning about new cultures or seeing performances. I love that children can play together, despite differences, and be among friends. I think if anything "Minnesota Nice" grows as our community grows.

Old 07-18-2007, 02:42 PM

The quickest way to acceptance is to

1) Carry a canoe on top of your car
2) Show up to lutefisk dinner at church
2) Show up to lutefisk dinner with a canoe on top of your car

Old 07-18-2007, 03:10 PM

184 posts, read 1,020,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kuan View Post
The quickest way to acceptance is to

1) Carry a canoe on top of your car
2) Show up to lutefisk dinner at church
2) Show up to lutefisk dinner with a canoe on top of your car
Nice. I would add:

4) Buy a Joe Mauer jersey, and wear it daily
5) Beginning Wednesday at noon, start talking with coworkers about your upcoming weekend trip north to the lake country

Old 07-18-2007, 09:10 PM

44 posts, read 235,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindenin View Post
Nice. I would add:

4) Buy a Joe Mauer jersey, and wear it daily
5) Beginning Wednesday at noon, start talking with coworkers about your upcoming weekend trip north to the lake country
LOL Kuan & Lindenin

I am a native Minnesotan and I've never felt like I really fit in.... Now I know what to do!

Old 07-20-2007, 12:28 AM

7,639 posts, read 18,151,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dingler View Post
When I grew up in small town Minnesota we knew all our neighbors and felt comfortable with everyone. Some were nicer than others but we shared a common bond. Why? Because 98% of us were either German or Swedish going back five generations. Most people in my home town Great Grandparents were immigrants, but few were actual first generation immigrants. We all shared a common culture and appearance. It made me feel comfortable.

Now the street I grew up with has all kinds of people who are not typical Minnesotans. The friendly neighborhood is now divided. People feel out of place and divide into racial groups. Wasn't the old boring Minnesota easier? Or maybe not?
I don't know. Where I live (Hermantown), it's still very homogeneous.

One thing I like about ethnic diversity is food. Yes, food. MSP has become much more diverse over the past few decades, which has brought numerous cheap culinary delights to the metro in the form of ethnic restaurants and grocers. Now in the Cities you can eat Somalian, Cambodian, Kurdish, or Ghanan if you'd like, for a few of the more unusual options.

Old 07-21-2007, 04:27 PM

129 posts, read 663,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chilaili View Post
Minnesota Nice to me never meant actually being nice to one another. I lived there 10 years and realised after the first 6-12 months that all Minnesota Nice meant was a) never being honest with someone, b) telling someone what you think they want to hear and c) never ever letting an outsider into your little clique of family and friends but being oh so polite to them the rest of the time. Thankfully over the years I did meet several Minnesotans who did not conform to this culture and made me feel welcome and wanted, rather than a pariah. Maybe the reason some of the immigrants don't mingle or talk is because they sense they're not really wanted? So why bust a gut trying to make friends with people who smile with their mouths but never their eyes?

Minnesota Fake/Reserved

One of many reasons (weather, lack of film community, people, work) I'm leaving and NEVER coming back

Also everybody here seems to go to college in areas around the midwest, so they can be by their family; a family I might add that they repeatedly say they hate.

Doesnt make much sense does it?

Lack of ambition also - everybody here is happy to work 20 years to become a managerial assistant at 45 years old. Yeah, set the bar high, dontcha?

Oh and the accents here are annoying as ****

best wishes
monte

Old 07-22-2007, 12:21 AM

638 posts, read 3,127,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by monti View Post
Minnesota Fake/Reserved

One of many reasons (weather, lack of film community, people, work) I'm leaving and NEVER coming back

Also everybody here seems to go to college in areas around the midwest, so they can be by their family; a family I might add that they repeatedly say they hate.

Doesnt make much sense does it?

Lack of ambition also - everybody here is happy to work 20 years to become a managerial assistant at 45 years old. Yeah, set the bar high, dontcha?

best wishes
monte
Do you suppose your attitude might have driven people away from you? I'm feeling very defensive reading some of these posts because of the way they are written (some are very antagonistic or dismissive); and most older Minnesotans don't care for confrontations and don't want to be embarrassed or to have attention drawn to themselves.

An older Minnesotan (my age or older) would either leave ASAP or try to disappear if someone approached them with an attitude. The very last thing an older Minnesotan wants to do is cause a scene or be the center of attention.

Old 07-22-2007, 05:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by monti View Post

best wishes
monte
Accents? What accents?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota