Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-17-2010, 02:10 AM

19 posts, read 79,406 times

Advertisements

I am a young girl from VietNam- a tropical climate country. And I plan to apply to universities in cities above, which provide affordable tuition and fees.

I have never been to any of these cities. That's why I have no idea how cold it is for real and whether I am able to be okay with the dam cold winter in these places.

Any comment or opinion will be helpful to me. Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2010, 03:27 AM

20,793 posts, read 61,314,203 times
Vancouver is going to be the warmest overall, Toronto second, Marshall and St. Cloud will be the coldest. The University in Marshall is completely accessible by a tunnel system so you wouldn't have to go outside much on if you didn't want to.

Old 12-17-2010, 06:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfgal View Post
Vancouver is going to be the warmest overall, Toronto second, Marshall and St. Cloud will be the coldest. The University in Marshall is completely accessible by a tunnel system so you wouldn't have to go outside much on if you didn't want to.
Do you mean that Southwest Minnesota State University has a tunnel system on campus? That sounds great!

Actually, ur comments about Marshall on this website make me feel positively about this place. Even though the winter in there is extremely harsh and the university is located at the middle of nowhere ( according to some students), Marshall is still on my choice list. Thank you!

Old 12-17-2010, 07:06 AM

20,793 posts, read 61,314,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bingxing View Post
Do you mean that Southwest Minnesota State University has a tunnel system on campus? That sounds great!

Actually, ur comments about Marshall on this website make me feel positively about this place. Even though the winter in there is extremely harsh and the university is located at the middle of nowhere ( according to some students), Marshall is still on my choice list. Thank you!
Yes, there is a tunnel system on campus. I am not sure EVERY building is connected but most are. Marshall is a nice town, yes a little remote, but there is plenty to do in town, especially for college kids with the activities on campus, etc.

Old 12-18-2010, 06:18 AM

3 posts, read 4,885 times
If you like the idea of a tunnel system to stay warm then the City of Toronto would appeal to you. The University of Toronto is a mile or so north of the path system though. I believe the PATH underground system is the world's longest (someone will likely contradict me??) at 28 km. As for things to do in town, that's not really an issue in a multicultural place like Toronto.

[url=http://www.toronto.ca/path/]City of Toronto: PATH - Toronto's downtown walkway[/url]

Old 12-18-2010, 11:55 PM

5,984 posts, read 13,417,021 times
Minnesota is colder than much of Canada. Our winters are more severe than Toronto's or Vancouver's.

As for schools, I'd much rather go to school in Marshall or St. Cloud than Toronto or Vancouver. Do you have any idea how big Toronto is? It's a huge city. Marshall is a small college town that has a much more "home-like" feel. St. Cloud is slightly bigger, but still small compared to Toronto or Vancouver. Marshall is probably a better place to get accustomed to North American life (there isn't much of a cultural difference between Minnesota and Canada) because it's a smaller town.

Old 12-20-2010, 09:40 AM

1,635 posts, read 2,657,834 times
Back in the 1970's when many Vietnamese and Cambodian refugees came to Minnesota, they called it "White Hell", both because of the endless months of freezing weather, and the locals' then-unwelcoming attitudes. That was 35+ years ago; most Minnesotans are more accepting of Asian neighbors than way back when.

The weather's still cold, though - it's already been below 0 degrees Fahrenheit and we haven't even hit the winter solstice. You'll need plenty of warm clothes (we have lots of clothing stores, including consignment and thrift stores that sell gently used duds), and hopefully somebody to help you find your way for the first few months.

Old 12-20-2010, 09:57 AM

I just do not know what to say but thank you. Thank you Goflgal, Mr_creosote, Kazoopilot and Audadvnc!

And Audadvnc, ur words: " You'll need plenty of warm clothes (we have lots of clothing stores, including consignment and thrift stores that sell gently used duds), and hopefully somebody to help you find your way for the first few months."
They touched my heart. Thank you for ur thoughtfulness!

Old 12-20-2010, 10:51 AM

1,395 posts, read 2,660,374 times
I live about 1/2 hour from Marshall. It is a nice small town, but should provide you with everything you need (groceries, restaruants, medical services etc.) There are many Hmong (from Loas) residents and students in the area. They are very nice people and get along well with other people in the community. I believe many of them attend the University in Marshall. You would probably get mistaken for a Hmong person by the locals, but that shouldnt be a problem as there is really no anomosity or racism towards the Asian population by the locals that I am aware of (un-like with the local Somolian Population).
As for winter, it is cold and we have had alot of snow this winter. It takes a while to get used to, but if you bunddle up before going outside, it is not that bad. We get a handful of sub-zero outbreaks every winter, but they usually don't last that long. The snow will all melt in March and everything will green up quickley. The spring, summer, and fall seasons are very nice to be outside. Summer can get pretty hot and humid though. Good luck with your move!

Old 12-21-2010, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnesota Spring View Post
I live about 1/2 hour from Marshall. It is a nice small town, but should provide you with everything you need (groceries, restaruants, medical services etc.) There are many Hmong (from Loas) residents and students in the area. They are very nice people and get along well with other people in the community. I believe many of them attend the University in Marshall. You would probably get mistaken for a Hmong person by the locals, but that shouldnt be a problem as there is really no anomosity or racism towards the Asian population by the locals that I am aware of (un-like with the local Somolian Population).
As for winter, it is cold and we have had alot of snow this winter. It takes a while to get used to, but if you bunddle up before going outside, it is not that bad. We get a handful of sub-zero outbreaks every winter, but they usually don't last that long. The snow will all melt in March and everything will green up quickley. The spring, summer, and fall seasons are very nice to be outside. Summer can get pretty hot and humid though. Good luck with your move!
I do not know whether I look like the Hmong American or not. Btw, I have attached a photo of me. Please tell me what u think ( i am just curious). Thank you!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota
View detailed profiles of: