Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2008, 01:37 PM

12 posts, read 47,532 times

Advertisements

We moved to Minnesota about eighteen months ago. We have not experienced racism. Never had any problems being "followed in stores". I see blacks working in all levels of the workplace. If you are uneducated or lack job experience, you will struggle but that's typical in most areas of the country. The Minnesota job market is aggressively looking for educated, qualified minorities. Our neighbors are very friendly, and we socialize regularly with them. All of our friends in Minnesota have similar backgorunds, highly educated with incomes of well over $200k a year. We really enjoy living here.

Old 06-12-2008, 09:56 PM

12 posts, read 51,781 times
no one hates a good neighbor. Pay for things and keep them nice. No one will care what color your skin is. Be an obnoxious neighbor, and people will default to the most offensive word to describe you being a douchebag.

Its not racist, its douche-ist

Old 06-20-2008, 11:03 AM

305 posts, read 991,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sydniesmommy View Post
My husband and I are an interracial couple. We have two children and plan to have a lot more. We have been thinking a lot about moving out to Minnesota, but we've heard that there is a lot of racism there. Are there any places in Minnesota where there is very little racism, without it being "ghetto"? The state sounds so perfect for us besides the racism issue, so we'd hate to not be able to move there.

Thanks
I don't see racism as a problem here in Minnesota. Maybe folks like my dad who is in his eighties but I dont pay any attention to that. I have seen far worst racism in many other states. I love minnesota I would move here. Been here over 40 years.

Old 06-20-2008, 11:10 AM

305 posts, read 991,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JenLee View Post
I'm sorry if I came across as rude or curt; it's just that in my own experience in the Twin Cities, I'd never paid that much attention to what color anyone was but this BB seems to really make a big deal of it lately.

I know many biracial families, some have been friends of ours for over 30 years. Back in the '70's, it wasn't as common and I did notice it a bit more; but it still wasn't a big deal. Both of my kids have had bi-racial friends and have dated non-whites; the color doesn't matter as much as the Person; if that make any sense. We are all red-blooded humans and the same blood types are found in each of us underneath the color of our skin.

Even though we are an all-white family, the 4 of us have very different skin colors, ranging from very fair pink to almost olive-complexioned. It isn't how we judge each other as whites, why should we judge others by the color of their skin?

I have found that if someone has a chip on their shoulder and seems to throw race and prejudice into every topic and conversation; then I am aware of the differences, but on the whole, it isn't something that I notice. I think that is why the subject is so bothersome to me here: it's a non-issue
I pay no attention to racism. When I look at someone I do not see black or white. My dad is in his eighties and his time frame is/was very racist. But not me.

Old 06-29-2008, 03:28 PM

54 posts, read 277,574 times
Quote:
My intent isn't to upset anyone. We have heard a lot of talk about the majority of Minnesota being racist. I do apologize that it is a sore spot, but with us planning to have a large family, I want to see how it will affect our children. We genuinely want to move there and just wanted to know. And I have met plenty of Liberals who are racist. In fact my husband's grandmother is. She refuses to see our children because they are biracial, yet she is a Liberal. So that doesn't matter, but since it isn't a hot topic there, we just might move there next year.

Thanks
as long as you stay out of the 6th district you'll be fine, move to minneapolis itself and no one would ever say anything, i cant vouch for the rest of the state until coleman/pawlenty/bachman are out of office

Old 06-29-2008, 03:29 PM

54 posts, read 277,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by icequeen2008 View Post
I pay no attention to racism. When I look at someone I do not see black or white. My dad is in his eighties and his time frame is/was very racist. But not me.
thats garbage, everyone sees race, you cant not see it, you make us look bad. the point is to at least acknowledge racial inequity not just look at everyone like helen keller, you try too hard

Old 06-29-2008, 11:58 PM

11,334 posts, read 26,089,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by p_U_c_K View Post
thats garbage, everyone sees race, you cant not see it, you make us look bad. the point is to at least acknowledge racial inequity not just look at everyone like helen keller, you try too hard
Racial differences and characteristics exist, but I think personal differences and characteristics are more important.

I'll certainly notice the former, but I do try to pay more attention to the latter. After all, you are you, not just a representative of your family, culture, and race.

Old 07-01-2008, 12:57 AM

8 posts, read 21,232 times
Minnesota is not as democratic as earlier stated. Most people in here are from the city mainly twin cities. Rural areas are much more republican friendly...

Old 07-03-2008, 07:01 PM

6 posts, read 19,147 times
Minnesota is a liberal state. I think you might be hearing that it is a racist state because there is a smaller minority population then in many states. We are not very deverse. If moving here, you would be just fine in any suburb in the Twin Cities.
Small towns, well you would be okay but expect everyone to be so white that they glow. It's that scandinavian blood ya know.

Old 07-05-2008, 12:02 PM

3 posts, read 9,279 times
Quote:
My husband and I are an interracial couple. We have two children and plan to have a lot more. We have been thinking a lot about moving out to Minnesota, but we've heard that there is a lot of racism there. Are there any places in Minnesota where there is very little racism, without it being "ghetto"? The state sounds so perfect for us besides the racism issue, so we'd hate to not be able to move there.

Thanks
I've seen more than a few posts like this and I'm not sure if they are even real people. I suspect it's highly likely someone might be starting these threads to get people all worked up. If they are real people there is some glaring hypocrisies and inconsistencies with their mode of thinking. Even more than the obvious ones, mind you.

Before I begin, I'm going to address racism. Many people hide behind it and attempt to slander a wide group of people with words like "backwards", "hateful", "ignorant", etc. There are definitely those things out there, no doubt. Personally, I disagree with vexing any person simply because of their race. When it comes to mixed race relationships however, every person should have enough pride, respect, and love for their own people, their own heritage, their own ancestors, and themselves to find a relationship within their own race. Mixed race relationships are dishonorable: plain and simple. Those with wisdom and understanding recognize this, and they are neither ignorant, hateful, or "backwards". It's the people who participate in, and encourage, interracial relationships who are ignorant, hateful, and "backwards".

No race of people is under any obligation to extend affection or acceptance to someone who is actively destroying their heritage by race mixing, or any other means for that matter. There is nothing more hateful than abandoning your own people and participating in their genocide because of an uneducated, ignorant, unnatural, and selfish desire to have sex with someone of another race. Interracial relationships do more to destroy any given particular race than hate groups do. It's well past time independent thinkers, and good men and women of every race, step up and start speaking out against these destructive social trends that are propagandized and supported by an equally destructive media and it's culture.

Now to the poster and assuming they are a real person. First off, why would any Caucasian person who's in a mixed race relationship want to move to an all Caucasian area? Be consistent, you've chosen a person of another race over your own. Move to an area where those people are a majority. They are good enough to abandon your own race, heritage, to have sex with, and bear children- but not to live in their communities? You want to bring them to an all Caucasian area and say; "Look what I've got my people! Embrace me and my decision to dishonor my heritage!" Then when people don't agree with your decision, it's them who has the problem- not you right? They are so "ignorant"!

Quote:
My husband and I are an interracial couple. We have two children and plan to have a lot more. We have been thinking a lot about moving out to Minnesota, but we've heard that there is a lot of racism there.
Yeah, makes perfect sense. You hear there is a lot of racism in Minnesota, so naturally that's where you would "think a lot about moving out to". Not the many multicultural areas of the USA where your lifestyle would be embraced; but "think a lot" about a place with "a lot of rasicm". This is what makes me suspect these posts aren't real.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota