Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you support same-sex marriage in Minnesota?
Yes 115 63.89%
No 65 36.11%
Voters: 180. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-11-2012, 05:09 PM

51 posts, read 38,241 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by iNviNciBL3 View Post
I'm gonna play devils advocate for this... what do you guys think of these oppositions of legalizing same sex marriage:

Denies a child either a Father or a Mother -
Gays raise children. Gays will keep raising children regardless of whether or not same-sex marriage is legal. Denying a civil marriage certificate to a gay couple raising a child does not deny that child a mother or a father -- that child will have two parents of the same gender regardless of the law on same-sex marriage.

Quote:
Increase HIV/Aids rates -
Since people who are married tend to have fewer, not more, sexual partners, this argument is not logically sound.

Quote:
Birth rates fall -
Is there some shortage of Homo sapiens? Last I checked, there's seven billion of us and counting.

Quote:
Stepping stone to the legalization of Polygamy and Bestiality -
Polygamy? No more so than legalizing interracial marriage was a stepping stone to polygamy. That said, whether a consenting adult marries one other consenting adult or marries more than one other consenting adult doesn't concern me.

As for bestiality, marriage is a multilateral contract. Non-humans cannot enter into contracts. Same-sex marriage isn't going to lead to bestiality any more than allowing women to vote was going to lead to dogs voting (it didn't) or ending slavery was going to lead to chicken emancipation (it didn't).

Old 10-12-2012, 12:22 PM

11,334 posts, read 26,111,434 times
Quote:
I'm gonna play devils advocate for this... what do you guys think of these oppositions of legalizing same sex marriage:

Birth rates fall -
(1) There are already many families without a father or a mother, and I would speculate that two mothers or two fathers has the potential to be a far better situation than having just one parent. But one parent is considered ok? I don't get that...?

It may or may not be better than having a parent of each gender in some situations, but that would vary on the specific people involved and perhaps also on what is considered "good parenting", since that varies even in the US from subculture to subculture.

(2) I don't see legalization of gay marriage as increasing HIV/Aids rates. People who get married tend to settle down ... it's single folks sowing their wild oats that tend to spread such diseases. And in reality, I have the impression that it's a fairly small number of individuals that do the spreading in some communities.

(3) Birth rates are already slowing down and/or falling worldwide as a long-term trend ... and I'm not sure that's a negative given that the planet has finite area, finite food and transportatation resources, etc.

(4) Gay marriage is about as likely to be a stepping stone to Polygamy and Bestiality as allowing people to legally drive is a stepping stone to legalized tank jousting and Car Wars enthusiasts mowing people down in the streets with rocket launchers. It's a fantasy.

Old 10-13-2012, 08:23 AM

4,176 posts, read 4,676,623 times
Quote:

Birth rates fall -

Red herrings and distractions. All of them.

The only one of these ridiculous points I would entertain is the first one -- "denies?" What about adoption? Those children don't have a parent of either gender. If a child can have a better life with a same-sex couple than in an orphanage, who's to say that's wrong?

Old 10-13-2012, 08:43 AM

3,869 posts, read 15,180,930 times
""Denies a child either a Father or a mother"
So does death and sometimes divorce.
50% of marriages end up in divorce.

And at a 50% divorce rate for straight couples it looks like we are not doing a very-good job of it, so why not let the gay community have a go at it?

A straight couple, the dumbest , poorest, and who should never have a child can and will with have children out your permission and sometimes they do so to get more welfare $$$.

A gay couple has to go threw the adoption process to attain a child.
I wish a straight couple need to apply for a permit and permission from some organization before they can procreate.

Old 10-13-2012, 10:38 AM

14,773 posts, read 21,525,216 times
Thanks. Those are the only opposing arguments that i hear from people supporting the marriage amendment. I like to hear more from those who support the amendment because (no offense) but i'm having a hard time searching for a legitimate reason why someone would vote yes.

Old 10-13-2012, 10:56 AM

2,860 posts, read 3,391,152 times
You guys don't need to worry. The legislation will pass.

Old 10-13-2012, 11:04 AM

14,773 posts, read 21,525,216 times
I don't mean to sound crazy mentioning yard signs but i see an astonishing amount of vote no signs, even in suburbs that people claim to be "more conservative"

Old 10-13-2012, 03:12 PM

5,831 posts, read 7,723,596 times
Quote:
I don't mean to sound crazy mentioning yard signs but i see an astonishing amount of vote no signs, even in suburbs that people claim to be "more conservative"
Maybe people see what happens to opponents of gay marriage and think twice before coming out publically. After all, some of those who contributed to the Prop 8 effort in California found they were late targeted by gay marriage supporters.

http://blog.chron.com/hottopics/2012...iage-petition/

Best to express one's opinion at the ballot box lest the forces of "tolerance" get wind of how we think. How do you justify this? How many supporters of gay marriage have had their jobs threatened?

Old 10-13-2012, 03:41 PM

51 posts, read 38,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenfield View Post
Maybe people see what happens to opponents of gay marriage and think twice before coming out publically. After all, some of those who contributed to the Prop 8 effort in California found they were late targeted by gay marriage supporters.

Best to express one's opinion at the ballot box lest the forces of "tolerance" get wind of how we think. How do you justify this? How many supporters of gay marriage have had their jobs threatened?

I'm surprised anyone is naive enough to think that "Only the 'other side' does stuff like this!".

Teacher fired for views on same-sex marriage - Post Bulletin

Personally, I doubt the disparity in the frequency of signs means anything at all. I see more Bills signs than Klobuchar signs, but I don't try and pass that off as some indication that Klobuchar supporters are oppressed and facing retaliation for putting up signs. Some campaigns just don't direct funds and volunteer support towards signs as much as other campaigns.

However, I understand that the "We're being victimized for our beliefs!" meme sounds better to some.

Old 10-13-2012, 03:57 PM

11,334 posts, read 26,111,434 times
Quote:
Thanks. Those are the only opposing arguments that i hear from people supporting the marriage amendment. I like to hear more from those who support the amendment because (no offense) but i'm having a hard time searching for a legitimate reason why someone would vote yes.
People will vote yes because, in their minds, gay marriage is wrong, and someone they trust has told them that their way of life is in danger if they don't support the amendment.

Unfortunately, I suspect most voters don't do much research on matters like this. They just vote.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota