Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you support same-sex marriage in Minnesota?
Yes 115 63.89%
No 65 36.11%
Voters: 180. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2012, 01:39 PM

4,176 posts, read 4,675,841 times

Advertisements

Oh please with the political incorrectness. Two words: Todd Akin. If there are people in this country who believe what he believes (and there are many, many such people), then it's not at all a stretch to say that some people don't like interracial marriage. Come on. Go read some comments on freerepublic.com some time if you don't believe me.

Old 09-04-2012, 02:07 PM

5,831 posts, read 7,723,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Globe199 View Post
Oh please with the political incorrectness. Two words: Todd Akin. If there are people in this country who believe what he believes (and there are many, many such people), then it's not at all a stretch to say that some people don't like interracial marriage. Come on. Go read some comments on freerepublic.com some time if you don't believe me.
Ok, you're the one who likened yourself to Todd Akin, not me.

Old 09-04-2012, 02:33 PM

643 posts, read 1,039,123 times
A prohibition on racially-mixed marriages was only removed from Alabama's constitution in 2000 (though it had not been followed for many years). At least 40% of voters wanted to keep it in the constitution.

Have times changed? Yes. It is definitely better. Will you still get side-eyed as a mixed race couple in many US (albeit smaller) cities? Yes - throughout the US, not just the South.

Old 09-07-2012, 01:20 PM

2,860 posts, read 3,391,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beenhere4ever View Post
What's a "civil union"? Another example of the state endorsing marriages? No matter what "danger" anyone brings up, I don't feel the state should be a party. People already are exercising the choices of circumstances in living together. No need for the state to interfere. Just stop picking a winner. That's all that's really needed.
Are you going to try to throw pastors in prison as well if they refuse to elope homosexuals? I can see that next on the agenda...

Old 09-07-2012, 04:36 PM

5,147 posts, read 7,485,750 times
Heck no. Wouldnt do anything to anybody formalizing a marriage. Just want "hands off" from the state. I see no legal necessity of state approval.

Old 09-18-2012, 09:51 AM

994 posts, read 1,593,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beenhere4ever View Post
Heck no. Wouldnt do anything to anybody formalizing a marriage. Just want "hands off" from the state. I see no legal necessity of state approval.
My view is similar. I don't see why Big.Gov should be meddling in marriage to begin with. If someone wants to have a husband and a wife, I can't see why not. Two for the price of one, LOL.

Old 10-01-2012, 12:19 PM

1,395 posts, read 2,662,975 times
For those thinking of voting yes on this amendment, when did the idea of the separation of church and state go out the window?
Should we also allow interpretations of the Koran or the Torah dictate what kind of law we have and what kind of restrictions we place on certain groups of people? This shouldn't even be a republican/democrat debate but rather a debate on government interference on our rights based on the religious belief of some.

Old 10-01-2012, 12:23 PM

2,860 posts, read 3,391,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnesota Spring View Post
For those thinking of voting yes, when did the idea of the separation of church and state go out the window?
When did the idea of shoving homosexual marriage down our throats become an issue?

This is a non-issue that became an issue because a very small percentage wanted it to become an issue. Frankly I think they do their entire movement a disservice with stuff like this.

Old 10-01-2012, 12:27 PM

1,395 posts, read 2,662,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Govie View Post
When did the idea of shoving homosexual marriage down our throats become an issue?

This is a non-issue that became an issue because a very small percentage wanted it to become an issue. Frankly I think they do their entire movement a disservice with stuff like this.
Actually, its the percentage of Minnesotan's that want to make it law to not allow homosexual couples to marry that made it an issue. That is why it is called an amendment. The vote no crowd is trying to protect the freedom of all of us. Its a slippery slope. Where do we stop, make pre-marital relations illegal because the Bible says so? Ban alcohol because the Koran says so?

Last edited by Minnesota Spring; 10-01-2012 at 12:40 PM..

Old 10-01-2012, 01:11 PM

4,176 posts, read 4,675,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Govie View Post

Umm, it became an issue when this "very small percentage" (weasel word alert) decided that they were tired of having their rights infringed upon.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota