Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2012, 11:21 PM

10,244 posts, read 16,381,304 times

Advertisements

Hardcore music fans everywhere recognize First Avenue as one of the most iconic venues in the country. I would place that high on my list. Mickey's Diner in Downtown St. Paul has appeared in enough movies where it may merit some kind of honorable mention.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2012, 06:10 AM

127 posts, read 337,624 times
This may be the single greatest idea I've ever read on the internet. [/quote]

Hee hee! Man, I'd make it a point to visit that place at least once. [/quote]

Hmm... Do I have a couple investors? I think the momentum of the Tator Tot Hotdish museum is growing. Possibly it could be the new home of the Vikings as well. Welcome to General Mills Tator Tot Field w/ the retractable tator tot lighted roof. First Avenue is definitely iconic as far as I'm concerned. Lots of late nights spent at that venue and some of my best memories of Minneapolis after moving here.

Old 08-10-2012, 07:42 AM

687 posts, read 1,256,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dober1 View Post
bemidji
Well, that looks to be one of the more well known ones. After looking into it further it seems that there are other Paul Bunyan statues throughout the country (and Canada). So, Paul Bunyan is probably not the best example of "Minnesota". I'd change my answer to the Mall of America though that's only until the Tater Tot Hotdish museum is built.

Old 08-10-2012, 09:40 AM

4,362 posts, read 6,535,732 times
As a five year resident of MN, I spent most of my life elsewhere. The MOA is the most recognized all be it in name. I like the idea of the Tater Tot Hotdish Museum, they could have a daily meat raffle. Out back they could have the worlds largest Postit note.

The Bemidji Bunyon statue is clearly the most known of the others, at least where MN is concerned.

Old 08-11-2012, 01:16 PM

2,860 posts, read 3,388,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenfield View Post
Within Minnesota it might be Split Rock Lighthouse, but outside MN, it's probably (gulp!) an aeriel view of the Metrodome from all Vikings broadcasts over the years.
The HHH Dome is the only one to host an MLB all star game, Final Four (twice), World Series (twice) and Superbowl.

My list (in no particular order) of ones that should be mentioned:

HHH
MOA
Duluth Bridge
Herb Brooks statue outside the 'X'
Paul Bunyan statue
North Shore Lighthouse

That's all I'm drawing right now after scanning the first page only here.

Old 08-11-2012, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruz Azul Guy View Post
Hardcore music fans everywhere recognize First Avenue as one of the most iconic venues in the country. I would place that high on my list. Mickey's Diner in Downtown St. Paul has appeared in enough movies where it may merit some kind of honorable mention.
Two good choices. Mickey's sure does border on USA - if not world - famous. Same with First Ave.

Also, is there a SPAM museum? Is that not probably the most famous of foodstuffs to ever be invented here? I do believe there is a SPAM museum, but I've never been there.

Old 08-11-2012, 04:58 PM

1,114 posts, read 2,425,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Govie View Post
Two good choices. Mickey's sure does border on USA - if not world - famous. Same with First Ave.

Also, is there a SPAM museum? Is that not probably the most famous of foodstuffs to ever be invented here? I do believe there is a SPAM museum, but I've never been there.
Yes, there is! Austin, MN, I think? I used to drive by the billboard for it all the time, and always intended to go, but never have!

Mmmm...Kraft mac and cheese with spam....

Old 08-11-2012, 05:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1stpontiac View Post
Yes, there is! Austin, MN, I think? I used to drive by the billboard for it all the time, and always intended to go, but never have!

Mmmm...Kraft mac and cheese with spam....
Ha. Probably the most famous canned "mystery meat" on the planet.

Old 08-11-2012, 06:20 PM

1,807 posts, read 3,097,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghengis View Post
the name yes, but all malls look exactly the same, I seriously doubt an exterior shot of MOA would scream Minnesota to anyone other than a concrete beam repairman.
Um...but it says Mall of America in big letters on the side?

Old 08-13-2012, 05:42 PM

One more for the "list":

Mayo Clinic. Is it the most important or maybe most recognized hospital in the world, and for sure America?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota