Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-23-2012, 06:37 PM

10 posts, read 40,774 times

Advertisements

I'm moving to Minnesota in a few months for a fresh start. Thing is, I'm black. I've heard stories about older Minnesota people not liking black people but I suppose that I should go straight to the source. Will I have any issues?
Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2012, 07:16 PM

14,773 posts, read 21,490,401 times
Many Africans and African-Americans live here and have no issues with discrimination, don't worry you wont have any issues.

Old 10-24-2012, 05:31 AM

3,663 posts, read 8,663,365 times
I don't know what you've heard, but our state is very diverse, there is many African Americans in MN.

Old 10-24-2012, 09:56 AM

19 posts, read 64,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikay2 View Post
I'm moving to Minnesota in a few months for a fresh start. Thing is, I'm black. I've heard stories about older Minnesota people not liking black people but I suppose that I should go straight to the source. Will I have any issues?
No. You will not have any issues. Hope you have a safe move

Old 10-24-2012, 12:10 PM

11,334 posts, read 26,078,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikay2 View Post
Speaking as a middle-aged white guy who grew up in the Twin Cities and now lives in Atlanta:

I suspect you'll have a lot fewer issues in the Twin Cities than you would down here in the Atlanta metro.

Most of the Minnesotans I know don't seem to have that much experience dealing with people from other races (my introduction to large numbers of people who weren't white didn't come until I went to Mankato State and ran into the 2,000 or so students from Taiwan who were there at the time)., and the main issues you might encounter will probably be due to unfamiliarity or curiosity rather than hostility.

We had a few black and asian kids in my high school when I went to school, and they were just kids in my class just like anyone else. The clique you were a part of was more important than what you looked like.

In a smaller town, you might be treated as an outsider, but I suspect most of that would be due to the fact that you're new and unknown rather than anything directly related to skin color.

Perhaps a little embarrassing, but the whole idea of "racism" was just an academic exercise to me until I lived in a small town for a few summers during college (a few folks had issues with Native Americans), and it really didn't hit home how serious it still was for blacks until I moved to Atlanta eight years ago.

I see a lot more tension down here than I ever saw up there, mainly (I think) because some people seem to want to go out of their way to stress differences (not as much to celebrate them as to use them as leverage). I didn't run into that in the suburbs up there. Maybe some of the urban areas are different.

Old 10-24-2012, 07:08 PM

429 posts, read 1,148,088 times
Minnesotans tend to be polite, regardless of what they're really thinking. So, if you run into any racism, you probably won't know about it. I guess that's the good news and the bad news.

And, for what it's worth, I think you're probably right in thinking that older Minnesotans tend to be more cautious toward diversity than younger Minnesotans, but I think that's less about racism and more about Minnesota having had so few minorities until recently. They simply didn't grow up with people who looked much different from themselves.

Check out the charts on this page...
Minnesota prepares for challenge as minorities become classroom majority | Parents United for Public Schools

Old 10-24-2012, 08:11 PM

988 posts, read 1,827,762 times
I'd be inclined to agree with the above. Assuming you are generally a civil, respectful, pleasant person I think you'll have no particular problems. If you encounter ill will, I'd be more inclined to believe that person is equal-opportunity crabby - little to do with you being black as opposed to they are just kind of crabby by nature.

Do note, I have heard some people who move here have a sense Minnesotans come off as reserved or standoffish and/or it's hard to form friendships. Your mileage may vary, but note if people seem standoffish it could be more the Midwestern/MN culture to not be immediately extroverted. Minnesota culture is to be not too flashy or non-practical. However, the flip side is once you make true friends (joke being when you are invited over for dinner, you have become a "true friend"), you tend to be long-term friends with those Minnesotans.

Old 10-24-2012, 09:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GBCommenter View Post
I'd be inclined to agree with the above. Assuming you are generally a civil, respectful, pleasant person I think you'll have no particular problems. If you encounter ill will, I'd be more inclined to believe that person is equal-opportunity crabby - little to do with you being black as opposed to they are just kind of crabby by nature.

Do note, I have heard some people who move here have a sense Minnesotans come off as reserved or standoffish and/or it's hard to form friendships. Your mileage may vary, but note if people seem standoffish it could be more the Midwestern/MN culture to not be immediately extroverted. Minnesota culture is to be not too flashy or non-practical. However, the flip side is once you make true friends (joke being when you are invited over for dinner, you have become a "true friend"), you tend to be long-term friends with those Minnesotans.
Pennsylvania is pretty much the same way so I'm used to that.

Old 10-25-2012, 03:56 PM

1,072 posts, read 2,916,628 times
hey i see your from philly. i moved here from philly to minnesota dec 2010. so it will be almost 2 years. i havent experienced racism yet. but im not blind to think it doesn't exist. and yes minnesota is diverse. but when we think diverse, we think black and white. diversity in minnesota means every damn body. blacks, whites, somalians, asians, indians.

Old 10-25-2012, 05:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by daboywonder2002 View Post
hey i see your from philly. i moved here from philly to minnesota dec 2010. so it will be almost 2 years. i havent experienced racism yet. but im not blind to think it doesn't exist. and yes minnesota is diverse. but when we think diverse, we think black and white. diversity in minnesota means every damn body. blacks, whites, somalians, asians, indians.
Good to hear. By the way, how is the weather there compared to Philly? Obviously, it's cold in Philly but is it anymore cold in Minnesota? And did you find the people to be nicer, meaner or about the same?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota