Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2013, 09:41 AM

11,334 posts, read 26,096,346 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiltmadoc View Post
As the OP of this post, I just want to re-emphasize the FACT that in MN you are paying state taxes TWICE on the alcohol. Once from the state excise tax, and one more time with the state sales tax. If you want to get particularly picky, you actually pay 3 times, when you include the federal excise tax. Simply on principle, this should annoy people; whether or not you believe in drinking alcohol or sunday sales. It would be as if you were paying sales tax on your gasoline in addition to the gas tax already levied by the state.
That sort of thing isn't uncommon. Georgia, for example, does precisely the same thing with gasoline. Not sure about alcohol taxes in Georgia, since I don't really buy alcohol.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2013, 09:48 AM

1,816 posts, read 3,028,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by golfgal View Post
If they didn't have the option to buy on Sunday, they would have planned better though....
But that already isn't an option...unless you want to drive over to Hudson or Superior or other border towns to buy your booze.

I don't quite see why I need to plan such a small purchase. Sure, if gasoline and food were not sold on Sundays, people would probably adjust and find a way around it...they'd have no option. But what would be the justification for banning food or gasoline (or alcohol) on Sundays? Telling people to "plan better" is telling them to find a workaround for an outdated law.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiltmadoc
As the OP of this post, I just want to re-emphasize the FACT that in MN you are paying state taxes TWICE on the alcohol. Once from the state excise tax, and one more time with the state sales tax. If you want to get particularly picky, you actually pay 3 times, when you include the federal excise tax. Simply on principle, this should annoy people; whether or not you believe in drinking alcohol or sunday sales. It would be as if you were paying sales tax on your gasoline in addition to the gas tax already levied by the state.
It's essentially just paying the sales tax plus an alcohol "sin tax". It's really less double taxation than it is simply additional tax levied.

Old 01-23-2013, 11:30 PM

413 posts, read 764,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by golfgal View Post
If they didn't have the option to buy on Sunday, they would have planned better though....
Not really an option when on short notice, people decide to have a BBQ, or if you run out of beer for a football party on a Sunday.

That a certain type of business is mandated to be closed on a certain day of the week is ridiculous in this day and age.

Old 01-28-2013, 06:59 PM

1,617 posts, read 5,676,441 times
Quote:
As the OP of this post, I just want to re-emphasize the FACT that in MN you are paying state taxes TWICE on the alcohol. Once from the state excise tax, and one more time with the state sales tax. If you want to get particularly picky, you actually pay 3 times, when you include the federal excise tax. Simply on principle, this should annoy people...

I'll tell you what I should be annoyed by: Any person who tells me what I should be annoyed by.

I works my job, I pays my taxes, I drinks my delicious beer, and I decide whether to be annoyed or not.

Burrrp!

Old 01-29-2013, 08:06 PM

174 posts, read 154,774 times
Quote:
As the OP of this post, I just want to re-emphasize the FACT that in MN you are paying state taxes TWICE on the alcohol. Once from the state excise tax, and one more time with the state sales tax. If you want to get particularly picky, you actually pay 3 times, when you include the federal excise tax. Simply on principle, this should annoy people; whether or not you believe in drinking alcohol or sunday sales.
It doesn't annoy me -- a periodic enjoyer of a nice beer and, on occasion, a martini -- one bit.

It's alcohol. It's a complete non-necessity. Alcohol is intensive in the tolls, most of them financial tolls indirectly if not directly, it exacts on society. Beyond that, the roads and airports and schools and hospitals and other assorted infrastructure need to be built. Making consumers (such as myself) of a complete non-necessity such as alcohol pay a slightly disproportionate share of the costs of those infrastructure necessities is a plan with which I don't disagree at all.

Quote:
It would be as if you were paying sales tax on your gasoline in addition to the gas tax already levied by the state.
Not even remotely. To equate the very utilitarian motor vehicle with the marginally utilitarian (at best, to stretch the very definition of the term) alcohol is simply nonsensical.

Old 01-29-2013, 08:37 PM

10 posts, read 13,273 times
Interesting; I'm thinking of moving to MSP and this post made me look up the liquor laws by state and it does not really seem that bad compared to what it could be. I live in St. Louis and we have some pretty loose laws in Missouri. Be glad that at least you don't have dry counties and cities as some places in Illinois and Arkansas do. Here you can buy beer pretty much anywhere; drug stores, grocery, even gas stations. Never really thought about it before.

It would be nice if more places were closed on sunday just as a matter of principle IMHO; liquor or not.

Old 01-29-2013, 08:42 PM

4,176 posts, read 4,672,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stl_mdwst81 View Post
It would be nice if more places were closed on sunday just as a matter of principle IMHO; liquor or not.
Then start a business and be closed Sundays. The rest of us will just have to make do with the convenience of living in civilization.

Old 01-30-2013, 06:25 AM

20,793 posts, read 61,328,506 times
Quote:
Interesting; I'm thinking of moving to MSP and this post made me look up the liquor laws by state and it does not really seem that bad compared to what it could be. I live in St. Louis and we have some pretty loose laws in Missouri. Be glad that at least you don't have dry counties and cities as some places in Illinois and Arkansas do. Here you can buy beer pretty much anywhere; drug stores, grocery, even gas stations. Never really thought about it before.

We were in MO a few months ago and we were killing time looking at the wine selection at Walgreen's waiting for a prescription to get filled

Old 01-30-2013, 10:09 AM

1,816 posts, read 3,028,992 times
Quote:
I have some friends who were sort of shocked that Minnesota has "liquor stores" and separate areas of grocery places where the liquor is sold. I can't remember which of my friends brought it up (and therefore which state they originally came from), but apparently they had never set foot in a "liquor store" in their life to purchase booze. It was always just a run to the gas station or grocery aisle.

Old 01-30-2013, 08:24 PM

5,147 posts, read 7,480,367 times
Oregon once sold all spirits in stores owned by the state. You had to have the state ID to get a bottle of booze. Not sure how it is done these days, but I've never felt alcohol hard to come by in this state. Offsale stores all over the place. THOSE I know don't close. Where I live, if I wanted a bottle of whiskey on Sunday, I think I could walk two blocks.

Edit: For now, gotta take that back. Tried to find the hours online, couldn't, visited Zipps Liquors on Franklin, said closed Sunday. So I guess if you're planning to imbibe on Sunday, you might need to stock up on Saturday.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota