Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-16-2013, 03:24 PM

5,147 posts, read 7,475,198 times

Advertisements

We all know the newest models of cars of the mid to high range of prices are platforms for a massive array of electronics. Now the Gas Buddy blog has an article about an app that will scan for parking places at your destination. http://blog.gasbuddy.com/posts/Audi-offers-parking-spot-finder-to-new-and-existing-models/1715-542116-1834.aspx.

OK, clever enough. EXCEPT parking is one of the more dynamic conditions in modern life. Sorta like cheap airline seat. You can get a promising estimate upon leaving your departing point. But if you get half or more of the way there, and suddenly the spots start disappearing, then what? This to me seems to indicate that experience with parking on certain days at certain times will continue for some future to be necessary. OR ramps can get into the business of selling reserved spots. If you MUST have a place but can't pay a monthly fee or wouldnt want to, then how about a spot for 4 hours at a certain lot or ramp and then the operator puts a "taken" sign on it to assure it doesn't get taken while you travel?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2013, 06:28 PM

1,114 posts, read 2,424,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beenhere4ever View Post
We all know the newest models of cars of the mid to high range of prices are platforms for a massive array of electronics. Now the Gas Buddy blog has an article about an app that will scan for parking places at your destination. http://blog.gasbuddy.com/posts/Audi-offers-parking-spot-finder-to-new-and-existing-models/1715-542116-1834.aspx.

OK, clever enough. EXCEPT parking is one of the more dynamic conditions in modern life. Sorta like cheap airline seat. You can get a promising estimate upon leaving your departing point. But if you get half or more of the way there, and suddenly the spots start disappearing, then what? This to me seems to indicate that experience with parking on certain days at certain times will continue for some future to be necessary. OR ramps can get into the business of selling reserved spots. If you MUST have a place but can't pay a monthly fee or wouldnt want to, then how about a spot for 4 hours at a certain lot or ramp and then the operator puts a "taken" sign on it to assure it doesn't get taken while you travel?
Without reading how it actually works, it seems like a useful service. Yes, one spot could disappear as you are halfway there, but if it tells you that there are 20 spots in one direction and 2 in the other, that would be useful.

Old 06-17-2013, 12:09 AM

I think its usefulness grows as you learn to interpret the data better. So it becomes like stock market averages. Easy to post what they are and the changes. But what the ups and downs actually mean is a lifelong study.

Old 06-17-2013, 09:35 AM

1,816 posts, read 3,027,166 times
This seems to work only for garages, though I imagine something could be rolled out for parking spots since we now use electronic meters.

San Francisco has a parking scheme that seems to work. They have dynamically-priced parking that changes depending on the time of day and how filled the block is with cars. The idea is that there is always at least one spot available on the block so you don't have to have circle around looking for parking. Of course this means paying hefty prices ($6/hour is the maximum, I believe), but during less-congested times, pricing also falls. We obviously couldn't have such an expensive system at this point (Minnesotans are not fans of paying for parking, nor are many accustomed to it), but we could have a dynamic pricing model of some sort.

I suppose I sort of wonder about your above scenario, however. How often does anyone come to a place like downtown Minneapolis only to find the ramp they wanted full? I don't park downtown much, but I haven't really had any issues. And even if that were the case, we have so many ramps (and lots!) that the next available spot is probably only a block away.

Old 06-17-2013, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xandrex View Post
This seems to work only for garages, though I imagine something could be rolled out for parking spots since we now use electronic meters.

San Francisco has a parking scheme that seems to work. They have dynamically-priced parking that changes depending on the time of day and how filled the block is with cars. The idea is that there is always at least one spot available on the block so you don't have to have circle around looking for parking. Of course this means paying hefty prices ($6/hour is the maximum, I believe), but during less-congested times, pricing also falls. We obviously couldn't have such an expensive system at this point (Minnesotans are not fans of paying for parking, nor are many accustomed to it), but we could have a dynamic pricing model of some sort.

I suppose I sort of wonder about your above scenario, however. How often does anyone come to a place like downtown Minneapolis only to find the ramp they wanted full? I don't park downtown much, but I haven't really had any issues. And even if that were the case, we have so many ramps (and lots!) that the next available spot is probably only a block away.
Actually a price that goes up as the supply goes down makes perfect sense. The last open spot is the most valuable of all. And with the rising prices, more spots would be open. Of course, it is the argument for more privilege for the rich, but it might drive some people to parking in satellite areas or just riding transit. There might be discount parking for van pools. Or even some spaces requiring multiple riders. That would make a heck of a lot of sense. Because that also economizes on slot availability.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota