Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2014, 08:27 PM

5,831 posts, read 7,710,703 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chessgeek View Post
Political threads usually discuss closely related issues. You don't like what I said. I acknowledge that, but can't sympathize. Everyone else reads things they don't always agree with, too, from time to time. I agreed not to discuss the other three politicians any more in the thread. That should be enough to satisfy you.

So if you are so concerned about being exactly on point, put yourself out there and comment about the political relationship between Franken and Letterman directly instead. All others can do the same. I am fine with that.
I would fully expect David Letterman to assist Al Franken in any way he can, but I didn't respond to the OP because I don't have any knowledge of what they may doing. In other words I had nothing to add to the original topic so I saw no need to post, something that should have perhaps restrained you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2014, 09:13 PM

15,408 posts, read 6,196,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenfield View Post
I would fully expect David Letterman to assist Al Franken in any way he can, but I didn't respond to the OP because I don't have any knowledge of what they may doing. In other words I had nothing to add to the original topic so I saw no need to post, something that should have perhaps restrained you.
I agree that Letterman probably will assist Franken in any way he can as well. We can end on a note of solid agreement. (I am OK with others saying what they want. Their call. Not mine).

Old 07-18-2014, 08:48 AM

Quote:
I agree that Letterman probably will assist Franken in any way he can as well. We can end on a note of solid agreement. (I am OK with others saying what they want. Their call. Not mine).
The next time you want to come at me with a condescending comment just post it here where everyone can read what you have to say, not through some rep comment back channel. I don't need to be told to "take it easy" by you because I have never taken it any other way. You have clearly been unable to comprehend to gist of my remarks here. Our difference of opinion is simple: in your view, every thread that touches on politics in an open invitation for another trite and hackneyed slam on some politician that you happen to disagree with. I disagree. I think that's called hijacking the thread and bad Internet manners.

Old 07-18-2014, 09:19 AM

413 posts, read 763,820 times
I didn't vote for Franken, but I've been very pleased with the job he's done as Senator. By all accounts he works extremely hard, doesn't trade on his celebrity, and is very accountable and accessible to his constituents. He has my vote going forward.

That said, there are a lot of negative accounts out there about his personality. That he's very short-tempered, abrasive and outright mean at times. Most of the stories about the old SNL days paint a picture of someone not pleasant to work with at all, and he's been an absolute jerk in some interviews - one with Dan Barrerio in particular. But I don't really care about that as long as he's a good hard-working Senator.

Old 07-18-2014, 09:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocsid View Post
I didn't vote for Franken, but I've been very pleased with the job he's done as Senator. By all accounts he works extremely hard, doesn't trade on his celebrity, and is very accountable and accessible to his constituents. He has my vote going forward.

That said, there are a lot of negative accounts out there about his personality. That he's very short-tempered, abrasive and outright mean at times. Most of the stories about the old SNL days paint a picture of someone not pleasant to work with at all, and he's been an absolute jerk in some interviews - one with Dan Barrerio in particular. But I don't really care about that as long as he's a good hard-working Senator.
Well said. I don't share Sen. Franken's political views and so I would not vote for him, but it seems to me that a pleasant demeanor is way over rated as a qualification for public office. As voters, we seem to have gone astray in making our chief criteria for these offices personality, a snappy slogan, and looking good on TV.

Old 07-18-2014, 01:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenfield View Post
The next time you want to come at me with a condescending comment just post it here where everyone can read what you have to say, not through some rep comment back channel. I don't need to be told to "take it easy" by you because I have never taken it any other way. You have clearly been unable to comprehend to gist of my remarks here. Our difference of opinion is simple: in your view, every thread that touches on politics in an open invitation for another trite and hackneyed slam on some politician that you happen to disagree with. I disagree. I think that's called hijacking the thread and bad Internet manners.
I am very surprised to hear this ungrateful response after saying we agreed on the central issue and providing rep. If you want to take my very sincere rep as an insult, that is your problem. The truth is you believe views different than your own are "hijack" attempts. If someone had criticized a liberal MN politician, you would not have had a problem and not have called it a "hijack" attempt.

We agree on Franken and Letterman. These other matters are just you making a mountain out of a mole hill IMO.

You were the one trying to censor me. I agreed not to speak out about the three politicians any longer too despite the hostility. I went to bed thinking finally two people that had "gone at it" so to speak on city data had resolved matters and brought the discussion to civility and even agreed on the matter. How often does that happen? I was pleased that happened and repped you (probably against my better judgement now that I read your post). Well, it was obviously too good to be true.

"Take it easy" is not condescending to anyone I know. I just knew that you had seemed angry and that was my classy way of just telling someone to calm down a little and that two people disagreeing on an internet forum is not the end of the world. The tone of my rep was complimentary and respectful. You cherry picked three words from it. I do rep people I disagree with on seldom occasions. It was not a ploy. You are reading something that is not there. We had said everything substantive that could be said in the thread IMO and I figured I would do that out of respect that you did eventually make a sensible comment on the Franken/Letterman matter.

If a liberal or moderate politician is criticized, it is legitimate in your view. If a conservative one is criticized, it is pretty close to the end of the world to you (trite, hackneyed slam?...talk about drama...LOL). Our disagreement is simple, but resolving things with you is usually complex.

My view is all politicians are fair game for compliment or criticism. This is a forum where all views can be presented. If someone has a problem with that, they are not forced to participate.

You made the first personal attack of the thread. Then you tried unsuccessfully to bully me to leave the thread by saying go there and "Post a new thread". Fail. I stood my ground and that must have upset you. The rest of us were just agreeing, disagreeing, and making observations, but no personal attacks were made.

You then made a second personal attack about my so called "war on women" after criticizing someone who has been criticized by many people. Probably a majority of Americans in fact. LOL. I called you on it. You have apparently been upset ever since. You then tried to bully me off the thread. Fail. Then you have the audacity to accuse someone of bad internet manners instead of looking in the mirror. I am amused and am nearly convinced no effort to be civil with you will work. When you disagree with someone politically, it almost becomes a blood sport to you and not merely a sharing of different views. You found out that some people including myself are not intimidated by the bully tactics. So you then type another "attack" post after I had thought this was resolved. Again, it fails.

You are not a victim. Please accept the idea that there will be views expressed other than yours on these threads. I think we all know that and especially with politics and religion threads.

Food for thought: Did you ever ask yourself why no one else had a problem with my comments?

Thanks for sharing your perspective. We agreed about the likelihood of Letterman working to assist the Franken campaign. We disagree about tone. I believe in at least making an effort to respect other posters so long as they try to do the same. Also practice what you preach. Please read your posts (that were mostly attacks except one) on this thread again and we can seriously doubt you are considered a role model here on internet manners. Again, it is telling that no one else had a problem with my comments. Hope the message sets in that I will stand by my views and no amount of attacks will force me off the thread. Thank you.

Have a nice day.

Last edited by chessgeek; 07-18-2014 at 03:09 PM..

Old 07-18-2014, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocsid View Post

I have also heard a lot about his work ethic. I was not aware he took his temper to such lengths or that he had a mean streak, though. Hopefully, he does not do that to constituents. I had thought he just had some testy moments from time to time. I may do a search for that Dan Barreiro interview. Sounds interesting. Thanks for sharing that info.

Old 07-18-2014, 03:55 PM

I searched again for anything specific about David Letterman campaigning for Al Franken and came up empty.

Here are some additional links to read. The first discusses the Dan Barreiro/Al Franken interview at the State Fair. The second discusses the campaign race between Al Franken and Mike McFadden.

http://atr.rollcall.com/al-franken-m...a-senate-2014/

http://www.minnpost.com/braublog/201...nken-and-baker

Old 07-18-2014, 07:07 PM

Quote:
I am very surprised to hear this ungrateful response after saying we agreed on the central issue and providing rep. If you want to take my very sincere rep as an insult, that is your problem. The truth is you believe views different than your own are "hijack" attempts. If someone had criticized a liberal MN politician, you would not have had a problem and not have called it a "hijack" attempt.

We agree on Franken and Letterman. These other matters are just you making a mountain out of a mole hill IMO.

You were the one trying to censor me. I agreed not to speak out about the three politicians any longer too despite the hostility. I went to bed thinking finally two people that had "gone at it" so to speak on city data had resolved matters and brought the discussion to civility and even agreed on the matter. How often does that happen? I was pleased that happened and repped you (probably against my better judgement now that I read your post). Well, it was obviously too good to be true.

"Take it easy" is not condescending to anyone I know. I just knew that you had seemed angry and that was my classy way of just telling someone to calm down a little and that two people disagreeing on an internet forum is not the end of the world. The tone of my rep was complimentary and respectful. You cherry picked three words from it. I do rep people I disagree with on seldom occasions. It was not a ploy. You are reading something that is not there. We had said everything substantive that could be said in the thread IMO and I figured I would do that out of respect that you did eventually make a sensible comment on the Franken/Letterman matter.

If a liberal or moderate politician is criticized, it is legitimate in your view. If a conservative one is criticized, it is pretty close to the end of the world to you (trite, hackneyed slam?...talk about drama...LOL). Our disagreement is simple, but resolving things with you is usually complex.

My view is all politicians are fair game for compliment or criticism. This is a forum where all views can be presented. If someone has a problem with that, they are not forced to participate.

You made the first personal attack of the thread. Then you tried unsuccessfully to bully me to leave the thread by saying go there and "Post a new thread". Fail. I stood my ground and that must have upset you. The rest of us were just agreeing, disagreeing, and making observations, but no personal attacks were made.

You then made a second personal attack about my so called "war on women" after criticizing someone who has been criticized by many people. Probably a majority of Americans in fact. LOL. I called you on it. You have apparently been upset ever since. You then tried to bully me off the thread. Fail. Then you have the audacity to accuse someone of bad internet manners instead of looking in the mirror. I am amused and am nearly convinced no effort to be civil with you will work. When you disagree with someone politically, it almost becomes a blood sport to you and not merely a sharing of different views. You found out that some people including myself are not intimidated by the bully tactics. So you then type another "attack" post after I had thought this was resolved. Again, it fails.

You are not a victim. Please accept the idea that there will be views expressed other than yours on these threads. I think we all know that and especially with politics and religion threads.

Food for thought: Did you ever ask yourself why no one else had a problem with my comments?

Thanks for sharing your perspective. We agreed about the likelihood of Letterman working to assist the Franken campaign. We disagree about tone. I believe in at least making an effort to respect other posters so long as they try to do the same. Also practice what you preach. Please read your posts (that were mostly attacks except one) on this thread again and we can seriously doubt you are considered a role model here on internet manners. Again, it is telling that no one else had a problem with my comments. Hope the message sets in that I will stand by my views and no amount of attacks will force me off the thread. Thank you.

Have a nice day.
Give it up. Your posts are getting tiresome. No one will read 1,000 words on how great you are. Zzzzzzzz.......

Old 07-18-2014, 07:25 PM

3,051 posts, read 2,598,306 times
They are all dingleberries.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota