Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2015, 10:10 PM

14 posts, read 18,460 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbakajo View Post
i am retired 62 living in moderate elevation mountain community in california. we are 141 miles from reno, nevada and about the same miles from san francisco. recent changes in marijuana growing stipulations has severely reduced our population as this was a popular growing area. there is a very eclectic group of peoples up here with varying income levels. i have seen very little snobbishness although i am more of a hermit han most. critters abound and many are like me and, i would guess you, in that they are a welcome and important part of our families. i personally have 5 dogs and 2 yearling quarter horses. there is a regional hospital 20 miles away and a larger hospital 50 miles away. uc davis, a teaching hospital with many innovative medical services, is 95 miles away. chico university is 50 miles away. post back to me if you have questions.
Thank you. What towns are you near in Cali?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2015, 10:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atalanta View Post
Stillwater is a big horse community. Pretty liberal too.
Close to a lot of great healthcare.
Dogs have lots of owners in that area
Yoga and arts too.

Going to have mosquitoes here though.
Need to go down to the lime bluffs of the Houston , Mn area to get away from them.

Send me a message if you'd like, maybe I can help.
I have had horses for 20 years and am familiar with the type of work you mentioned.
Thank you for your information. Are you in the Stillwater area? What does horse board run? Housing seemed expensive there?

Old 08-06-2015, 10:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fromupthere View Post
Just an FYI, since you mention the Rochester area, Rochester is the 4th windiest city in the country. I personally will throw a vote in for Lanesboro. There's not much to Eyota. St. Charles is nice too. Not sure how much of all your requirements you'd find in those cities, but they are close to Rochester. Look at Spring Valley and Rushford too. Again, not sure about all your requirements, but they are nice places.

ETA Winona is nice too.
Thanks for your response. I had no idea Rochester was that windy! I liked one of the neighborhoods there very much, but housing seemed a bit spendy? I am kinda looking at Mankato now, or at least the outlying towns around there. Any info on that area?

Old 08-06-2015, 10:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by my54ford View Post
I know of a nice 10 acre spot near Hayfield @35 minutes West of Rochester. Very quite set up for horses. Rochester has a great Medical facility and is one of the up and coming areas of Minnesota.

DMC: Destination Medical Center
Thank you for your response. 10 acres would be my dream but it's beyond my budget. I will need to board or just take lessons, depending on costs or situations I can find.

Old 08-06-2015, 10:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 601halfdozen0theother View Post
The problem with seeking land in SE MN right now is that EVERYONE wants a small acreage, especially in areas which are commutable to Rochester or LaCrosse. Horse properties do come available now and then but you have to literally pounce on one immediately even to have a chance of getting it.

Really, in today's market, the Mankato area might be a better idea for you. It's a wonderful small city with lots to do. LaCrosse would be perfect for your wishes (I'm not really a Rochester fan) but WI taxes are very high and there is the problem with the hot RE market here and in the Decorah area.

You might also look into the Grand Rapids, MN area - I never thought mosquitos were bad there - certainly not when compared to SD!!

Best wishes!
Thanks for the info. All I can afford is a little house somewhere, I will need to board my horse or give lessons or take lessons or something (my horse of 20 years recently died so I don't have a horse at present). I am looking at Mankato, it's pretty there and seems to have a lot of what I'm looking for. Housing seems a little expensive right in the city. Are there any "bad" areas in Mankato? What about surrounding small towns - any to recommend, any to avoid?

Old 08-06-2015, 10:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lodestar View Post
Another vote for the Mankato area. It's rich in history, scenic and has lots of good horseback riding areas. Good Thunder southwest of town has a small community of artistic people.
Thanks I am considering the Mankato area. Useful info on Good Thunder. Do you know much about any of the other smaller surrounding towns? Housing seems to be less expensive than right in Mankato. Are there any "bad" areas of Mankato? Are the small towns "cliquey"?

Old 08-06-2015, 10:35 PM

Having lived in both states, they are pretty equal in mosquitoes. SD commonly has 30 below temps in winter and when the relentless wind is added in, 40 to 60 below are not uncommon. We sometimes have many feet of snow, sometimes open winters, but always blown around by the wind. I'm kinda looking at the Mankato area now, any info on that?

Old 08-07-2015, 06:31 AM

1,833 posts, read 3,352,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by writingfriend View Post
Thanks for your response. I had no idea Rochester was that windy! I liked one of the neighborhoods there very much, but housing seemed a bit spendy? I am kinda looking at Mankato now, or at least the outlying towns around there. Any info on that area?
Don't have much info on Mankato but have known a few people who have lived (or currently live) there and liked it. Vikings training camp is there in the summer so it's probably crazy for those 2 weeks and then the university of course. I've been over there a couple of times and thought it seemed nice.

Housing is getting spendier as the city grows.

Good luck!!

Old 08-09-2015, 03:36 AM

604 posts, read 934,752 times
If I were relocating in MN I would no doubt choose the Northfield area. Two great colleges and a very nice, small downtown.

Old 08-25-2015, 06:49 PM

6 posts, read 10,008 times
Hmmmmmmmmmmm!!!
Any woman in chanhanssen that truly cares&love,willing to live with afrian man of 30yreas?u must be willing to love god&serve god as well.contact me via this number±2347067375242 or add me on facebook KISSLOVE IKEH or email me ur number to call&add u on whatsapp my email:godlovekiss_2015@yahoo.com
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota