Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2015, 02:01 PM

14 posts, read 18,458 times

Advertisements

I am looking to move out of SD and considering Mankato area, Morris area, SE MN area (Rochester, Eyota, Preston, Lanesboro, St. Charles, Winona). As a single 62 year old, I am hoping for a friendly, active smaller town (no social freeze please) with or near good health care including alternative health care and with a friendly/liberal vibe. Also, dog friendly, pet friendly. An active writer's group, book clubs, yoga and art classes. And horse activities (saddle club, active barns, etc.). Hoping for less wind and less mosquitoes than SD (is that possible?) Where organic living is more the norm than making me an outsider. Affordable housing to rent or buy (will be selling my home in SD). I have small retirement income and also do sub teaching/para, some respite care for children, teach riding, and have sporadic income from writing/editing. Recommendations anyone? Or places to avoid? Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2015, 04:47 PM

9 posts, read 10,146 times
i am retired 62 living in moderate elevation mountain community in california. we are 141 miles from reno, nevada and about the same miles from san francisco. recent changes in marijuana growing stipulations has severely reduced our population as this was a popular growing area. there is a very eclectic group of peoples up here with varying income levels. i have seen very little snobbishness although i am more of a hermit han most. critters abound and many are like me and, i would guess you, in that they are a welcome and important part of our families. i personally have 5 dogs and 2 yearling quarter horses. there is a regional hospital 20 miles away and a larger hospital 50 miles away. uc davis, a teaching hospital with many innovative medical services, is 95 miles away. chico university is 50 miles away. post back to me if you have questions.

Old 07-05-2015, 05:03 PM

5,661 posts, read 3,522,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by writingfriend View Post
I am looking to move out of SD and considering Mankato area, Morris area, SE MN area (Rochester, Eyota, Preston, Lanesboro, St. Charles, Winona). As a single 62 year old, I am hoping for a friendly, active smaller town (no social freeze please) with or near good health care including alternative health care and with a friendly/liberal vibe. Also, dog friendly, pet friendly. An active writer's group, book clubs, yoga and art classes. And horse activities (saddle club, active barns, etc.). Hoping for less wind and less mosquitoes than SD (is that possible?) Where organic living is more the norm than making me an outsider. Affordable housing to rent or buy (will be selling my home in SD). I have small retirement income and also do sub teaching/para, some respite care for children, teach riding, and have sporadic income from writing/editing. Recommendations anyone? Or places to avoid? Thanks.
Stillwater is a big horse community. Pretty liberal too.
Close to a lot of great healthcare.
Dogs have lots of owners in that area
Yoga and arts too.

Going to have mosquitoes here though.
Need to go down to the lime bluffs of the Houston , Mn area to get away from them.

Send me a message if you'd like, maybe I can help.
I have had horses for 20 years and am familiar with the type of work you mentioned.

Old 07-06-2015, 01:13 PM

1,833 posts, read 3,351,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by writingfriend View Post
Just an FYI, since you mention the Rochester area, Rochester is the 4th windiest city in the country. I personally will throw a vote in for Lanesboro. There's not much to Eyota. St. Charles is nice too. Not sure how much of all your requirements you'd find in those cities, but they are close to Rochester. Look at Spring Valley and Rushford too. Again, not sure about all your requirements, but they are nice places.

ETA Winona is nice too.

Last edited by fromupthere; 07-06-2015 at 01:15 PM.. Reason: ETA: Winona is a nice "bigger" small town too but being on the river I'm sure the mosquitos aren't fun there.

Old 07-07-2015, 08:15 AM

10,659 posts, read 10,726,169 times
I know of a nice 10 acre spot near Hayfield @35 minutes West of Rochester. Very quite set up for horses. Rochester has a great Medical facility and is one of the up and coming areas of Minnesota.

DMC: Destination Medical Center

Old 07-07-2015, 04:27 PM

210 posts, read 285,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fromupthere View Post
Just an FYI, since you mention the Rochester area, Rochester is the 4th windiest city in the country.
I was surprised to hear that and checked it out and as of 2015, Rochester is listed as the 2nd windiest in the country. On the other hand, Whitewater State Park near Rochester is the only state park in MN where you can actually leave your insect repellent home when visiting. I've been there in the summer time in the evening and was amazed not to see a mosquito. Every place has it's pros and cons.

Old 07-08-2015, 07:25 AM

1,833 posts, read 3,351,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mn shutterbug View Post
I was surprised to hear that and checked it out and as of 2015, Rochester is listed as the 2nd windiest in the country. On the other hand, Whitewater State Park near Rochester is the only state park in MN where you can actually leave your insect repellent home when visiting. I've been there in the summer time in the evening and was amazed not to see a mosquito. Every place has it's pros and cons.
Yes, Roch is listed as 4th on some lists and 2nd on others, so I just go with 4th. Whitewater is nice for the lack of mosquitoes and a great place to hike.

Old 07-08-2015, 03:19 PM

6,904 posts, read 7,603,681 times
The problem with seeking land in SE MN right now is that EVERYONE wants a small acreage, especially in areas which are commutable to Rochester or LaCrosse. Horse properties do come available now and then but you have to literally pounce on one immediately even to have a chance of getting it.

Really, in today's market, the Mankato area might be a better idea for you. It's a wonderful small city with lots to do. LaCrosse would be perfect for your wishes (I'm not really a Rochester fan) but WI taxes are very high and there is the problem with the hot RE market here and in the Decorah area.

You might also look into the Grand Rapids, MN area - I never thought mosquitos were bad there - certainly not when compared to SD!!

Best wishes!

Old 07-11-2015, 08:58 AM

12,040 posts, read 8,418,487 times
Another vote for the Mankato area. It's rich in history, scenic and has lots of good horseback riding areas. Good Thunder southwest of town has a small community of artistic people.

Old 07-12-2015, 07:38 AM

3,663 posts, read 8,665,004 times
Less mosquitoes than SD? Not in MN. Are you prepared for temps below 30 and several feet of snow?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota