Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-13-2015, 01:49 PM

4,362 posts, read 6,532,538 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamsack View Post
I work at NWS Grand Forks..... not holding out much hope for this winter in our area. Will be happy what we get....but this winter lover is preparing for a quiet one.

BTW....we have a cooperative observer who calls in every day....Jerry from Sebeka Minnesota....he always says. Maybe you know him?

Dan
Ah Ha, now I have someone to complain to when you guys send us a crappy forecast

I would bet I at least know this Jerry by face, there's only 700 of us in town. I'll admit there are a few I don't know though. There's one west of town with a last name like a sea animal and another east of town with a last name beginning with an 'M'. Anyone else would be just a face.

What does the cooperative observer report? Temp, Wind, Rainfall, evaporation? Just curious.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2015, 05:13 PM

4,818 posts, read 11,003,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slamont61 View Post
Ah Ha, now I have someone to complain to when you guys send us a crappy forecast

I would bet I at least know this Jerry by face, there's only 700 of us in town. I'll admit there are a few I don't know though. There's one west of town with a last name like a sea animal and another east of town with a last name beginning with an 'M'. Anyone else would be just a face.

What does the cooperative observer report? Temp, Wind, Rainfall, evaporation? Just curious.
Hi....

I do not have his last name off the top of my head....but always calls in as Jerry in beautiful downtown Sebeka Minnesota. Apparently he has one fancy mustache. But yes cooperative observers are given standard NWS equipment to measure temperature (MMTS) and rainfall/snowfall (official rain gauge). When they agree to be a cooperative observer they are to report each day either via phone or send their report via wxcoder computer program to us. Monthly data and yearly data are kept at the National Climate Data Center in North Carolina and QC'd and is part of the national climate network of records.

But to be one...we supply the stuff.....as the equipment must be calibrated and rainfall gauge and temperature sensors located in an appropriate place.

Officially this Jerry is the unofficial coop in Sebeka.... in a rare case we have two. The original is getting older and winters in Arizona and doesnt report as often. Thus the 'unoffifical' is more reliable reporting.

Here is a link to his data as we enter it and it goes out.....this is in plain language format

OBS:SEBEKA

Here is the format we send in his info in.... this was what he called in for the period 7 am 10/18 to 7 am 10/19.... cooperative observers take readings each morning close to 12 UTC or 6/7 am.

SRUS53 KFGF 191338
RR1FGF
.A SEBM5 1019 Z DH1338/PPD 0.00/SF 0.0/SD 0/TA 48/TX 62/TN 36

Old 01-10-2016, 04:15 PM

1 posts, read 921 times
Default Minnesota weather

Minneapolis and Minnesota get cold but it's not the coldest game in town

South Pole's winters are 80 to 90 degrees colder than Minneapolis's winters
Vostok Station's winters are 90 something degrees colder than Duluth's winters
Yakutsk Russia's winters are about 50 degrees colder than Minneapolis's winters
Yakutsk Russia's winters are 40 something degrees colder than Duluth's winters
Fairbanks Alaska's winters are 20 something degrees colder than Minneapolis's winters
Yellowknife's winters are 20 something degrees colder than Duluth's winters

Oymyakon's winters are about 60 something degrees colder than Minneapolis's winters
Oymyakon's winters are about 60 something degrees colder than Duluth's winters

Sopporo Japan averages 180 more inches of snow per year than Minneapolis
Kutchan Japan averages almost 400 more inches of snow per year than Minneapolis
Valdez Alaska averages 120 more inches of snow per year than Duluth Minnesota

and if there are intelligent life on other planets you can bet some of them live in cities on their planets which have winters that are 90,100,110,120,130 degrees colder than St Cloud Minnesota's winters

and some ETs on other planets live in cities on their planets with winters that average hundreds and maybe thousands more inches of snow per year than Duluth does

Nowhere in the Twin Cities are has ever nor will ever see air temps in the -60s let alone -70s -80s -90s -100s -110s etc

Nowhere in Minnesota has ever nor will ever see air temps in the -80s let alone -90s -100s -110s -120s -130s -140s (and probably not in the -70s)

None of you people have ever been near air temps in the -70s let alone -80s -90s -100s -110s -120s (no Minnesotan could last 2 seconds in -120 degree weather) true cold to me is temperatures in the -80s and colder. Nowhere in Minnesota could ever get that (not even during the ice age)

Old 01-10-2016, 05:38 PM

5,831 posts, read 7,711,998 times
Didn't you post basically the same thing under another screen name earlier this winter?

Old 01-10-2016, 05:45 PM

2,105 posts, read 4,601,386 times
A special place in Northern Minnesota that reached -60F which was a record. Feb 2, 1996 near Tower was that cold.

Old 01-10-2016, 05:52 PM

Here it is:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winterlessplanet2 View Post
The twin Cities area in my opinion doesn't have real winters (I am serious)

Yakutsk Russia (population 200,000) has winters that are 45 to 50 degrees colder than Minneapolis winters

Oymyakon Russia (population 2000) has winters that are 60 something degrees colder than MSP winters

Ulan Ude's Novembers are as cold as Minneapolis's Januarys

the South Pole's winters are 90 something degrees colder than MSP's winters

Norilsk Russia's winters are about 30 something degrees colder than MSP's winters

If you factor in the Drake equation there may be countless alien cities (as big and bigger than Minneapolis) on other planets have winters 90,100,110 ,120 degrees colder than Minneapolis winters

Minneapolis-St Paul area has never and will never see temperatures in the -70s let alone the -80s,-90s and -100s (and probably not in the -60s with a decent chance of no -50s) -110s and -120s to Minneapolis-St Paul area is like temperatures in the -30s and -20s to Honolulu people

what if people and aliens from the above places spent a few winters in Minneapolis-St Paul area,do you really think they'd be complaining about your 'winters' Heck no ,they'd be so happy to be in relatively mild -warm place they would not be complaining at all

Minneapolis area doesn't get a lot of snow, Syracuse averages 70 more inches than MSP, Truckee averages only 150 more inches than MSP, Flagstaff Arizona averages 50 more than MSP, Valdez averages 250 more inches of snow per year than MSP, Kutchan Japan (a city in Japan) averages 380 more inches of snow per year than MSP, Sopporo Japan (major city in northern Japan) averages 200 more inches per year than MSP

Has Minneapolis-St Paul ever had a winter that got 1200 inches of snow like Rainier?? Or 700 inches of snow ?? Better chance of me becoming the Pope and the King of Britian and King of Saudi Arabia and starting pitcher for the Yankees all at once than that happening

alien cities average hundreds and even thousands of more inches than MSP. Some places have much deeper snow drifts than MSP gets and many places have snow that actually sticks around longer than a few months.

Wind Chill doesn't count

Old 01-10-2016, 06:28 PM

114 posts, read 74,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgr112719pp View Post
None of you people have ever been near air temps in the -70s let alone -80s -90s -100s -110s -120s (no Minnesotan could last 2 seconds in -120 degree weather) true cold to me is temperatures in the -80s and colder. Nowhere in Minnesota could ever get that (not even during the ice age)
Were we complaining or are you bragging about where you've been?

Old 01-10-2016, 07:49 PM

4,978 posts, read 5,769,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgr112719pp View Post

and if there are intelligent life on other planets you can bet some of them live in cities on their planets which have winters that are 90,100,110,120,130 degrees colder than St Cloud Minnesota's winters

and some ETs on other planets live in cities on their planets with winters that average hundreds and maybe thousands more inches of snow per year than Duluth does
Well, you are wrong....Minneapolis IS the coldest game in Minneapolis AND Minnesota IS the coldest game in Minnesota....

OP, return to your planet...they want you back (well, not really...they actually kicked you out, but go back anyway).

Quote:
Originally Posted by KristyOlson View Post
Were we complaining or are you bragging about where you've been?

Old 01-11-2016, 09:41 AM

23,766 posts, read 29,058,499 times
wait, I was hoping the OP will provide some info on places that are warmer than Minneapois in the summer as I'm too stupid to look them up myself...if there even is any such place.

Old 01-11-2016, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghengis View Post
wait, I was hoping the OP will provide some info on places that are warmer than Minneapois in the summer as I'm too stupid to look them up myself...if there even is any such place.
The temperatures at the core of the Sun can reach 27 million degrees Farenheit--- year 'round!-- but I don't consider it to be hot until you get to at least 30 million degrees.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota