Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-06-2008, 02:53 PM

6,734 posts, read 9,344,746 times

Advertisements

Is the Winona bridge closure going to be a nightmare? I'm not familiar with Winona, but I have to assume it's a heavily traveled bridge.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2008, 06:59 PM

1,833 posts, read 3,352,764 times
I believe it will be a nightmare for some people. To drive across the river without that bridge means driving all the way up to Wabasha or down to LaCrosse. They have a ferry now to take people across but I don't think it takes vehicles across. I'm pretty sure they've arranged for buses to take people to and from the ferry as well. The bridge is also closed to pedestrians but emergency vehicles can use it.

Here's from the newspaper here in Rochester.

WINONA -- The Winona city council approved this afternoon a system of shuttles and ferries that will cost $85,000 per week to operate beginning Monday, as the community continues to struggle with the closure of the Minnesota Highway 43 bridge across the Mississippi River.
It's uncertain how many people will use the service, but a survey by the Minnesota Department of Employment and Economic Development found 2,800 people, who live in Wisconsin, but work in Winona, and use the bridge to get to their jobs. And city officials discovered a number of Winona residents who commute to Wisconsin for work.
Minnesota Department of Transportation officials closed the bridge over the Mississippi River Tuesday night for an indefinite period after inspectors found rusted and corroded gusset plates in several locations.
The shuttle system will run Monday through Friday, but there might be providers working on weekends.
Monica Hennessey Mohan, the Winona city clerk, said the system will cost $17,000 a day or $85,000 per week. MnDOT will at a minimum pay for half, but city officials are hoping the state agency will cover 80 to 100 percent.
Commuter passes will be passes are $5 daily and $15 weekly.
They expect the heaviest traffic to be from 5:30 a.m. to 8:30 a.m. The first ferry will go at 5:30 a.m. Travel across the river is up to the determination of the captain, who will gauge the weather and water conditions.
Judith Bodway, community development director in Winona, outlined the options that will include four places in Wisconsin for commuters to board buses that will take them to the landing area where they'll board the ferry boats.
MnDOT will complete its inspections of the bridge today, but it will take two weeks to finish its analysis of the information and determine the next step. So the commuter system will be in place for at least two weeks.
The bridge was slated for replacement in 2017 on MnDOT's schedule.
"But I think this development will make a huge difference (in speeding things up) and all of that will be reanalyzed," Bodway said.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota