Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2019, 10:35 PM

527 posts, read 422,350 times

Advertisements

I came across another city-data thread "Considering a move to Bemiji" from 4 years ago....I think that things said here explain what I had seen in that forest. Seems like Northern Minnesota has certain crime issues and one has to be careful in selecting the place (outside of the state, rural Minnesota has reputation of very low crime).
Like one poster said in that thread:
Quote:
That said, if you want to live or build on lake land or lots in the woods in northern MN I wouldnt hesitate to do so nor recommend to do so.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2019, 02:40 PM

32,944 posts, read 3,926,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NDak15 View Post
Maybe International Falls. That's as far north as you can get.
NNNOOOOOOOOOO!!! Seriously, just NO! I am stupid for having moved up here and cursed to have lived up in this part of Minnesota for 12 years now. It is the worst place I have ever lived. I simply can't make the best of it anymore. As soon as my plan comes together I am out of here.

International Falls has been a dying town for at least seven years, probably more. They don't even have a decent hospital. I won't go on about everything that I think sucks about the place, because I want to stay in a somewhat good mood. Haha! I will say there's a lot of nice people up here.

And I.Falls is not as far north as you can get. There are other towns farther north in Minnesota heading west towards North Dakota.

I do have my favorite parts of Minnesota and will soon be moving to one of them.

Last edited by geebabe; 10-16-2019 at 03:12 PM..

Old 10-16-2019, 03:01 PM

2,891 posts, read 2,138,926 times
when you find the magical place with no crime please come back and let us know. TIA

Old 10-16-2019, 07:16 PM

10,350 posts, read 13,928,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by geebabe View Post
NNNOOOOOOOOOO!!! Seriously, just NO! I am stupid for having moved up here and cursed to have lived up in this part of Minnesota for 12 years now. It is the worst place I have ever lived. I simply can't make the best of it anymore. As soon as my plan comes together I am out of here.

International Falls has been a dying town for at least seven years, probably more. They don't even have a decent hospital. I won't go on about everything that I think sucks about the place, because I want to stay in a somewhat good mood. Haha! I will say there's a lot of nice people up here.

And I.Falls is not as far north as you can get. There are other towns farther north in Minnesota heading west towards North Dakota.

I do have my favorite parts of Minnesota and will soon be moving to one of them.
I've never lived there, I just threw it out there. Which part will you move to?

Old 10-17-2019, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by old fed View Post
when you find the magical place with no crime please come back and let us know. TIA
No need to be so sarcastic especially since you don't have any constructive input for this thread.

A lot of very low crime areas around USA, actually, including ones where people don't lock doors.
As to where I camped - it happens to be high crime hot spot in Northern MN, as I had learned later from crime maps, around Leech Lake Reservation, marked as island of very high rural crime on all crime maps out there, which explains the observations.

Old 10-17-2019, 09:59 AM

In International Falls, train horn can be a concern, I guess, with all the major train traffic. I plan to live out of town on small acreage, though; I guess a couple of miles from train lines noise wouldn't be so bad.
Not very clear from the above what's really that bad about International Falls other than low quality hospital.
I'd say one is lucky there's a hospital at all in town that small and remote.
One plus of location like this is that it's as far out of tornado zone as one can get in Minnesota. There had been F5 tornado before in MN around Duluth latitude long time ago (near Fargo) and multiple F4s just West of Duluth.

Old 10-17-2019, 10:28 AM

5,831 posts, read 7,707,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by opossum1 View Post
No need to be so sarcastic especially since you don't have any constructive input for this thread.

A lot of very low crime areas around USA, actually, including ones where people don't lock doors.
As to where I camped - it happens to be high crime hot spot in Northern MN, as I had learned later from crime maps, around Leech Lake Reservation, marked as island of very high rural crime on all crime maps out there, which explains the observations.
Indian reservations are very, very poor and there are a lot of substance abuse issues there. Crime often accompanies poverty and substance abuse. I don’t see how this could be a surprise to anyone.

Old 10-17-2019, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenfield View Post
Indian reservations are very, very poor and there are a lot of substance abuse issues there. Crime often accompanies poverty and substance abuse. I don’t see how this could be a surprise to anyone.
It's certainly not a surprise for most. (I was not aware that I was a mile from reservation forest boundary at that time, but that high crime zone exists beyond the reservation, in the general area, with one corner in Bemidji)

Last edited by opossum1; 10-17-2019 at 11:00 AM..

Old 10-17-2019, 11:51 AM

4,362 posts, read 6,529,408 times
Maybe not as far north as you'd like but North Central MN has plenty of these towns that check all the boxes.

Park Rapids and the surrounding area would fit the bill and there are dozens of small towns all around, each with it's own personality. Crime I'd consider to be on the low side for all of these.

Old 10-17-2019, 11:56 PM

5,752 posts, read 2,780,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by opossum1 View Post
In International Falls, train horn can be a concern, I guess, with all the major train traffic. I plan to live out of town on small acreage, though; I guess a couple of miles from train lines noise wouldn't be so bad.
Not very clear from the above what's really that bad about International Falls other than low quality hospital.
I'd say one is lucky there's a hospital at all in town that small and remote.
One plus of location like this is that it's as far out of tornado zone as one can get in Minnesota. There had been F5 tornado before in MN around Duluth latitude long time ago (near Fargo) and multiple F4s just West of Duluth.
Never been bothered by train horns. While the mill is still the largest employer, I know they closed one of the paper machines a few years ago, so there may not even be that much going out anymore, but even when the mill was in full production I never recall train horns being an issue.

My family had lived in I Falls since it was basically a lumber camp. There is still an island on the lake with my family name on it and a large expanse of land west of town that used to be our farm.

So I know a little about it and I will say this....you have to enjoy the outdoors, or you will be miserable. Fishing, hunting, boating, ice fishing, snowmobiling and the like. Because there is nothing else to do. Lovely people, gorgeous scenery, but nothing to do. And, it’s over 2 hours to Duluth where you can find some stuff to do.

Be sure it’s for you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota