Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2008, 06:37 PM

6,233 posts, read 9,478,235 times

Advertisements

Hi!

I'm from Michigan, where our economy has hit some new lows (8.5% unemployment). After a year and a half of searching for a job in my degree field (teaching) I finally decided to leave. I'm fine with moving to the sunbelt, but if I can stay in the midwest, that'd be even better.

So...how's the economy in Minnesota? I haven't heard anything bad about it, or the Twin Cities. Is there a good market for teachers in your state? Or are you shedding jobs and people like the rest of the midwest?
Any answers would be much appreciated,

Thanks
Mackinac
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2008, 06:53 PM

11,334 posts, read 26,074,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mackinac81 View Post
So...how's the economy in Minnesota? I haven't heard anything bad about it, or the Twin Cities. Is there a good market for teachers in your state? Or are you shedding jobs and people like the rest of the midwest?

Well, Northwest Airlines is currently based in the Twin Cities, but if the Delta merger goes through, I'm sure there will be plenty of jobs cut. They've already announced that the SOC (the System Operations Center in Building F) is going to be moving to Atlanta, and I'm sure that there will be other changes as well.

I've heard that they may actually be maintaining the NWA data center (Building J in Eagan), though, which would be cool. I used to work with people in both the SOC and the data center, so I'd rather see as few people laid off or forced to move as possible...

Old 08-09-2008, 08:16 AM

989 posts, read 2,960,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mackinac81 View Post
Hi!

I'm from Michigan, where our economy has hit some new lows (8.5% unemployment). After a year and a half of searching for a job in my degree field (teaching) I finally decided to leave. I'm fine with moving to the sunbelt, but if I can stay in the midwest, that'd be even better.

Thanks
Mackinac
Last figure on unemployment that I saw was just under 5%. There are many sources of data and viewpoints on all that, but it seems to indicate we doing ok.

Schools are well funded by any objective measure. Housing market is down, so good time to buy if you are in a position to do so.

School enrollments are down in some areas, twin cities as a whole is growing. Saw some news last year that indicates there may be a mini baby boom nationwide. For a teacher, that is good news.

Economy in Metro is diverse, so it takes more than one segment to drag it all down.

Old 08-09-2008, 09:08 AM

721 posts, read 2,609,262 times
The Iron Range, for a change, has some good news with several large mining and steel facilities underway or announced. Those projects should stabalize that region and add new employees and housing.

The Duluth area job market is good for education and healthcare but lacks diversity to add jobs that pay well overall. Cirrus Design is adding new staff as they are starting to build their personal jet. They employ over 1,000 people now. However, the schools in the Duluth area are cutting staff. Rochester may be a good bet along with the Twin Cities.

Old 08-09-2008, 10:41 AM

10,244 posts, read 16,364,120 times
People in Minnesota are complaining about the economy but in reality it isn't bad here...yet. I would like to think you'd have an easier time finding a job in Minneapolis/St. Paul metro than in most parts of Michigan.

Old 08-09-2008, 12:18 PM

10,659 posts, read 10,721,455 times
What do you do for a living if we can ask? If your an electronics/mechanical type and don't mind climbing and heights. Their hiring left and right for wind tower maintence jobs. Several schools (riverland in Austin) have recently added this training program... Health care types can always go to Med City (Rochester) There bunchs of jobs there

Old 08-09-2008, 01:34 PM

987 posts, read 3,817,383 times
I think the slowdown is finally catching up to us. Although it's really a nationwide thing, many chains which depend on the middle class are having to close plenty of stores. Small businesses which depend on the middle class as the bulk of their sales are seeing slowdowns as well, but being small, they adapt. (read, pay themselves less). Even though increased prices affect everyone, there is only a limited amount of funds to go around. People who used to go out to eat once a week are now putting that money into their gas tanks. So basically if you're in the business of providing services to families which make around $75k/yr you might want to rethink your decision.

Teachers, however, are always needed in direct relation to the number of students. A growing population of school age children will result in the need for more teachers. Pick a fast growing area and take your chances.

Old 08-09-2008, 01:47 PM

1,833 posts, read 3,348,687 times
Website for Rochester's school district: http://www.rochester.k12.mn.us/se3bin/clientschool.cgi

There are also lots of small towns around Rochester that could potentially be hiring too - I haven't looked at their sites. Rochester is a growing community - fastest in the state. Lots of development here.

Old 08-10-2008, 06:05 AM

20,793 posts, read 61,282,830 times
If you are in a demand field like science, math or special education you can pretty much pick and choose your district. If you are English or Social Science, it is tough to find a job. A male in elementary education has an edge too. There are some districts that are doing some pretty major cuts but for the most part school districts are hanging on. Hiring is taking place now so if you want to move, get your applications in TODAY. Google a map of the twin cities area the search for schools in whatever town and you should be able to easily find the websites for most districts. Most have online job postings and applications. Here are a couple:

Welcome to Farmington Public School - Independent School District 192

http://www.district196.org/

Old 08-10-2008, 04:18 PM

6,233 posts, read 9,478,235 times
Well, I'm history/Social Studies and English. I know that they're not as in demand as Math and science, (at least in the midwest) but knowing that, I taught myself spanish and took up coaching to diversify myself.

It sounds like MN is doing better than the rest of the midwest, which is good. I love cold weather, and the four seasons, so if I could move to a midwestern state, MN would be it.

I'll check out the links too. I'm still obligated here until December, but I'll keep an eye out. Thanks again!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota