Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2008, 02:54 PM

56 posts, read 223,540 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by roneb View Post
Definitely a good observation that is not limited to the young. I'm mid forties and if I was to be totally honest with myself that is a large part of the reason for my wanting to move from a location that most of America seems to always classify as ideal.
True- most people like to run from their problems- and the problems will follow....
But in some cases (like mine) I really do want to move because of the 9 months of winter... everyone has their own preferences..I'd like a house with a pool but think its not wise here in MN- only 3 months to use it doesn't seem worth the cost..
but leaving to escape your problems- would be a mistake.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2008, 08:15 AM

443 posts, read 2,136,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnesota is cold View Post
True- most people like to run from their problems- and the problems will follow....
But in some cases (like mine) I really do want to move because of the 9 months of winter... everyone has their own preferences..I'd like a house with a pool but think its not wise here in MN- only 3 months to use it doesn't seem worth the cost..
but leaving to escape your problems- would be a mistake.
MN is cold. Have you ever considered Yuma AZ? We lived there and it's really hot in the summer but winters are 70's and sunny! We had a pool and it was used a lot!!! Anyway just a suggestion. The homes are still fairly cheap compard to MN.

Old 03-30-2008, 04:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfw1979 View Post
MN is cold. Have you ever considered Yuma AZ? We lived there and it's really hot in the summer but winters are 70's and sunny! We had a pool and it was used a lot!!! Anyway just a suggestion. The homes are still fairly cheap compard to MN.
Thanks! I'll have to check it out.. My husband is the one who came up with the idea to move to Vegas.. He wants to move to Vegas.. which is ok with me, I like it there.. but what I want is to just move somewhere warm... living in Minnesota and being a freeze baby is a bad combo...

Old 03-30-2008, 04:06 PM

Default Yuma, AZ

Looks like a nice place from the website.. unfortunately I checked for dental jobs in Yuma on a job site I know of and there was only one for a RDA (which I am not) I work dental adminstration. When I chk the site for jobs in Nevada , I get a ton of listings... I want to be warm, and I want to work too.. Thanks for the imput, it's much appreciated.
Now if anyone knows of a Dentist looking for an Office Manager (15 yrs exper) in a warm sun belt state, let me know.. I'm all ears!!

Old 03-30-2008, 10:00 PM

26,430 posts, read 46,615,085 times
Quote:
Thanks! I'll have to check it out.. My husband is the one who came up with the idea to move to Vegas.. He wants to move to Vegas.. which is ok with me, I like it there.. but what I want is to just move somewhere warm... living in Minnesota and being a freeze baby is a bad combo...
Yuma gets EXTREMELY hot in the summer. Monsoon season also starts by late July into August. The heat and slight increase in humidity during that time is brutal. Winters are nice but summers are terrible. If you are looking for a sunbelt location that does not get quite so terribly hot, but still has a ton of sunny days I would look at Prescott, Albuquerque, or Santa Fe.

Old 03-30-2008, 11:18 PM

74 posts, read 289,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MomsTn View Post
My husband was born and raised in Minnesota.
Left when he was 20. Was gone for over 18 years.
We moved back 11 years ago.... and can hardly wait to move out.
We moved back for his parents... not because we wanted to.

Yes, the winters are too long, and it's depressing not being able to see the sun, just gloom.

The only one that's really happy is our 7 year old, because she can play in the snow, and slide down the big hill.
It would be great to be a kid and be able to have so much fun.

So do you think you will stay put until your 7 year old is done with school? We are moving back to be near family too and so my kids will have family close by.

Old 03-31-2008, 05:17 AM

443 posts, read 2,136,439 times
Quote:
Looks like a nice place from the website.. unfortunately I checked for dental jobs in Yuma on a job site I know of and there was only one for a RDA (which I am not) I work dental adminstration. When I chk the site for jobs in Nevada , I get a ton of listings... I want to be warm, and I want to work too.. Thanks for the imput, it's much appreciated.
Now if anyone knows of a Dentist looking for an Office Manager (15 yrs exper) in a warm sun belt state, let me know.. I'm all ears!!
I have never lived in Las Vegas but I bet it would be great. I know they get HOT in the summer but not as hot at Yuma. And a pool would help that! Here is a great site for hosues ZipRealty Real Estate -- Homes for sale and local real estate agents

Old 03-31-2008, 05:37 AM

987 posts, read 3,820,192 times
Quote:
I tried getting a job in Arizona once. It was like pulling teeth!

Old 04-01-2008, 02:08 PM

20,004 posts, read 77,410,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newcastle View Post
Finally! Another person who loves winter! I was getting so tired of negative talk about winter and "Nothing to do because it is so cold" Whine, whine, whine. kuan, I agree with you completely.
Another winter lover here... while I dont live in MN, Im SE of you in northern IL. Winter is a blast as long as youre not lazy and have some nice, warm clothing. Way too many people sadly become couch potatoes during winter, and Ill never understand why.

Old 04-02-2008, 09:22 AM

47 posts, read 160,818 times
aluminum pork- I spent 34 summers in Minnesota. Summers in MN can't compare to the Northwest. If comparing MN summers to other regions I would say they fare well. It is funny that some one wrote that one of the reasons they like winter is the lack of mosquitoes. There is no mosquitoes in the summer where I live. This thread is about leaving MN. Well I left and I don't miss the state of MN at all . Be warned , you will miss your friends and relatives and that may be a good enough reason to stay in MN.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota