Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2009, 02:18 PM

11,334 posts, read 26,089,277 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MN-Born-n-Raised View Post
I didn't forget. Go ahead and type in Northwest Airlines - Airline Tickets, Plane Tickets & Airfare.

It seems Delta has forgotten they don't exist, not me.
Actually, they can't legally merge their operating certificates until sometime near the end of 2009 (or is it 2010? I don't remember), so until then they're really a separate airline, at least from an operational perspective.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2009, 07:55 PM

9,744 posts, read 11,165,585 times
It was officially announced today the Tom Emmer (R) of Delano is running for governor.

Tom is a quintessential conservative. I've met Tom several times as he is a good friend of one of my best friends. If he gets any traction, he will be making a lot of waves and he is not the type to apologize for his conservative viewpoints. He is as conservative as Jason Lewis.
From Emmer Running For Governor

(Delano, MN) Tom Emmer, 48, of Delano, has officially entered the race for Governor.

Emmer is currently serving his third term in the Minnesota House of Representatives. He represents District 19B which includes: Otsego, Albertville, Saint Michael, Rockford Township, Rockford, Franklin Township, Delano, Montrose, Woodland Township, Waverly, Victor Township, and Howard Lake.

"Now is the time for real leadership,” Emmer said. “We must turn the tide on the rapid growth of government. If our great state is ever going to return to the days of prosperity, the days when we attracted the best of the best, the most innovative and the most creative, we must fundamentally change our course.”

A citizen lawmaker, Emmer is an attorney in private practice and active volunteer in his community. Prior to being elected to the Minnesota House, Emmer served as a member of the Delano and Independence City Councils. He is a member of Delano Sportsmen’s Club, Minnesota Hockey and the Delano Catholic Community. Emmer served as the past president of the Delano Area Sports Arena, and has worked with the Lake Sarah/Pioneer Creek Watershed District and volunteer fire departments in Delano, Maple Plain, Loretto and surrounding communities.

“Minnesota can no longer tolerate career politicians with no experience beyond the walls of our capitol or government bureaucracies. Over the past couple of decades, we have stood silently by as the public bureaucracies have grown at an astounding pace at the expense of our private economy. Our employers are leaving. Our jobs have been following them. This cannot continue if our children and grandchildren have any hope of enjoying the American dream here in Minnesota," Emmer added.

Tom and his wife Jacquie will celebrate their 24th wedding anniversary this month. They have seven children.

For more detailed information, visit: www.emmerforgovernor.com <Emmer for Governor

Although he is a long short and is a whole lot more socially conservative than I prefer, I will be sending in my donation tomorrow. Someone needs to keep the spending in line.

Old 07-07-2009, 07:42 AM

10,244 posts, read 16,375,702 times
Quote:
He is as conservative as Jason Lewis.
Wow, a KTLK fan huh? I don't understand how people can seriously listen to that radio station. Where is the entertainment value? Every single personality on there sits there and bashes democrats past and present and complains about how the world is going to crap. I flip to that station for 2 minutes and I feel like I need a beer afterwards to lift my spirits. No idea how people can listen to that depressing crap.

Old 07-07-2009, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slig View Post
Wow, a KTLK fan huh? I don't understand how people can seriously listen to that radio station. Where is the entertainment value? Every single personality on there sits there and bashes democrats past and present and complains about how the world is going to crap. I flip to that station for 2 minutes and I feel like I need a beer afterwards to lift my spirits. No idea how people can listen to that depressing crap.

I am not a fan per say. But I like to listen to all view points and form my own opinions. So I listen to MPR, CNBC, various forums etc. I can only stand about 5 minutes of Shawn Hannity. That guy cannot say anything nice about anybody that doesn't agree with him. He spins things non stop.

At the same token, I do think Jason Lewis shares a lot of my view points but he is a bitter. Additionally, the guy cannot stand any criticism and will trun into an instant baby. There are some topics that I have studied in great depth (Anoka Hennepin school budgets for one example). In summary, he doesn't understand as much as he thinks he does. I voted for the last referendium after talking with the school board. Independent of his view points, he is a VERY bright guy.

For me, KTLK is a data point. Nothing more.

Old 07-07-2009, 09:45 AM

989 posts, read 2,962,195 times
Quote:
I am not a fan per say. But I like to listen to all view points and form my own opinions. So I listen to MPR, CNBC, various forums etc. I can only stand about 5 minutes of Shawn Hannity. That guy cannot say anything nice about anybody that doesn't agree with him. He spins things non stop.

At the same token, I do think Jason Lewis shares a lot of my view points but he is a bitter. Additionally, the guy cannot stand any criticism and will trun into an instant baby. There are some topics that I have studied in great depth (Anoka Hennepin school budgets for one example). In summary, he doesn't understand as much as he thinks he does. I voted for the last referendium after talking with the school board. Independent of his view points, he is a VERY bright guy.

For me, KTLK is a data point. Nothing more.
Good perspective. If you only listen to those who agree with your point of view, you never learn anything. Too often talk radio is skewed to one perspective or the other to the point of being of limited use. You have to learn to filter out the BS for sure.

Old 07-07-2009, 10:06 AM

I was listening to Laura Ingraham the other day and she was saying that it wouldn't surprise her if Obama passed legislation to allow him to serve more than two terms as president, comparing him to corrupt politicians in unstable South American countries. I changed the station at that point, deciding I had my dose of conservative radio for the day...what garbage.

Old 07-07-2009, 10:13 AM

Quote:
I was listening to Laura Ingraham the other day and she was saying that it wouldn't surprise her if Obama passed legislation to allow him to serve more than two terms as president, comparing him to corrupt politicians in unstable South American countries. I changed the station at that point, deciding I had my dose of conservative radio for the day...what garbage.

I cannot stand her simple minded rants. IMHO, she is catering to the banjo plucking red-neck conspiracy theory "conservatives". In summary, she is thinking for them. Scary. Saying that, I put our (probable) senator in that same category on the other spectrum. There is a lot of hate in Al's rhetoric. He has toned it down...

Old 07-07-2009, 10:28 AM

Quote:
I cannot stand her simple minded rants. IMHO, she is catering to the banjo plucking red-neck conspiracy theory "conservatives". In summary, she is thinking for them. Scary. Saying that, I put our (probable) senator in that same category on the other spectrum. There is a lot of hate in Al's rhetoric. He has toned it down...
I have leaned left in recent years but did not vote for Franken. I've decided to wait and see how he conducts himself as a senator to make any final judgements on him but you may very well be right.

Old 07-07-2009, 10:33 AM

989 posts, read 2,962,195 times
Quote:
Some of the stuff is so out there you just have to laugh. Apparently some people do not understand that term limit is part of 22nd ammendment. Even if legislation was passed to allow more than 2 terms, it would be struck down as unconstitutional. Zero chance that an ammendment to the constitution would be passed by 75% of the states to remove term limit. Zero.

Old 07-07-2009, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clifford63 View Post
Some of the stuff is so out there you just have to laugh. Apparently some people do not understand that term limit is part of 22nd ammendment. Even if legislation was passed to allow more than 2 terms, it would be struck down as unconstitutional. Zero chance that an ammendment to the constitution would be passed by 75% of the states to remove term limit. Zero.

Or that Obama is trying to take over the banks and car companies.

While I don't believe in these conspiracy theories, unfortunately our Prez hired a 31 year old "Car Czar" that has never has held a private sector job. To make matters worse, Brian Desse has no economic experience, no automotive experience. What the HECK is Obama thinking to put a 31 year old political science major in charge of a multi billion dollar industry???

I have no faith that any politician can manage their way out of this mess.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota