Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2010, 09:41 AM

2,031 posts, read 2,988,918 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by marmac View Post
There was a time ( shortly before the 08 election ) when it appeared that Tinklemberg would win.

I recall a poster in a newspaper proclaiming at that time----" I just made a substantial donation to Tinklenberg"

That poster was an ex mayor of a city of about 70,000 people and once referred to as --" a rising star"--in the DFL.

Yup, the same guy who was a liberal , boasting about his big contribution, and had his name on the deliquint property tax list.

Kinda the poster boy for the anti-Bachmann crowd.
Really? What's the name of this ex-mayor?

Sounds like Michelle Bachmann, who never tires of plaintively bleating about "government handouts", all the while personally profiting from agricultural subsidies.

Michele Bachmann's Farm Received Over $250,000 in Federal Subsidies
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2010, 09:51 AM

10,244 posts, read 16,375,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Voyageur View Post
What a laughable claim...

In 2008, 172 Republicans in the House ran for re-election. 158 of those incumbents won, versus 14 defeats. In other words, 92% of GOP House incumbents who ran for another term won.
Yeah, I'd say in general if you're an incumbent running for any office unless you've screwed something up really bad or a superstar squeaky clean candidate jumps in to oppose you that your re-election is pretty much automatic.

Old 05-17-2010, 10:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slig View Post
Yeah, I'd say in general if you're an incumbent running for any office unless you've screwed something up really bad or a superstar squeaky clean candidate jumps in to oppose you that your re-election is pretty much automatic.
Or, alternately, you're an ill fit in your district due to shifting demographics or one of the things you cited above allowing you to win the last time around against major odds.

Example - Joseph Cao (R-LA2), who defeated scandal-mired William Jefferson in 2008 in a district with a massive Cook PVI of D+28. By comparison, the next most Democratic House district held by a Republican in DE-AL at D+7. Anyway, Cao is almost certainly doomed this time around, not because he's veered to the right from his campaign tenets but because he won't get to run against William Jefferson this time around.

Conversely, MN6 is an R+7 district. Pulling 46% of the vote and winning by a 3% margin in 2008 was hardly impressive. After all, John Kline (MN-2) and Erik Paulsen (MN-3) both performed significantly better than Bachmann in 2008 in districts that are not as conservative as MN-6.

Bachmann appears very safe in 2010. 2012 will be interesting, though.

Old 05-17-2010, 10:12 AM

9,803 posts, read 16,194,504 times
Every time Bachmann has run has been interesting.

Seems there always is some point before the elections when the polls show Bachmann behind.

This gets the Bachmann bashers in a frenzy as they are sure this time she will be defeated.

It is at this point that people come forward bragging about their substantial donation to her opponent ( previous post of mine) and realize election night they placed their money on the " losing pony".

Old 05-17-2010, 10:17 AM

Quote:
Every time Bachmann has run has been interesting.

Seems there always is some point before the elections when the polls show Bachmann behind.

This gets the Bachmann bashers in a frenzy as they are sure this time she will be defeated.

It is at this point that people come forward bragging about their substantial donation to her opponent ( previous post of mine) and realize election night they placed their money on the " losing pony".
Who was that ex-mayor again? (previous post of yours)

Old 05-17-2010, 10:52 AM

I won't mention the city, but the newspaper he was constantly posting on, bashing Bachmann, was the St Cloud Times.

Old 05-17-2010, 10:55 AM

Quote:
I won't mention the city, but the newspaper he was constantly posting on, bashing Bachmann, was the St Cloud Times.
I'm just wondering who this "rising star" might have been.

But clearly (and strangely) you refuse to tell us.

Old 05-17-2010, 11:05 AM

ex-mayor of a city of 70,000 and constantly posting on St Cloud Times .

Do a search on John Ellenbecker and it will mention when he was first elected mayor hre was referred to as a "rising star" in the DFL.

I think that star has burned out and is a falling star.

Old 05-17-2010, 11:14 AM

6,734 posts, read 9,342,697 times
Quote:
--IF--the Democrats had endorsed Tinklenberg in 06 rather than Patty Wetterling, I think Tinklenberg could have won.

By 08, it was too late for Tinklenberg.
I agree 100%. I never understood the Wetterling endorsement.

Old 05-17-2010, 11:19 AM

6,734 posts, read 9,342,697 times
Quote:
I thought he was foolish for posting so frequently on Times chat. He didn't even care about his anonymity.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota