Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-01-2007, 10:17 AM

5,790 posts, read 3,595,865 times

Advertisements

It really depends on what you mean by "best".

For me, tops on my list is a fairly good sized neighborhood with at least a moderate level of progressive vibes. In this case, that would be in or very near Jackson's Fondren and Belhaven neighborhoods. Pre-Katrina, Bay St. Louis and much of the City of Biloxi also qualified. Overall, Hancock Co is the best positioned because it has Bay St. Louis and within driving distance of both Biloxi and New Orleans

In a sense, I think DeSoto County qualifies, if only because it's a stone's throw from Midtown Memphis.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2007, 01:51 PM

376 posts, read 1,779,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil75230 View Post
It really depends on what you mean by "best".

For me, tops on my list is a fairly good sized neighborhood with at least a moderate level of progressive vibes. In this case, that would be in or very near Jackson's Fondren and Belhaven neighborhoods. Pre-Katrina, Bay St. Louis and much of the City of Biloxi also qualified. Overall, Hancock Co is the best positioned because it has Bay St. Louis and within driving distance of both Biloxi and New Orleans

In a sense, I think DeSoto County qualifies, if only because it's a stone's throw from Midtown Memphis.
There is a huge psychological wall between Midtown Memphis and DeSoto County. They might as well not even be in the same metro.

Old 11-05-2007, 01:51 PM

35 posts, read 166,300 times
What I don't like about it.
In Vicksburg Ms case is that it's too cliquish. It's real backward in the ways of doing business. There is still a a predjuice toward outsiders. It doesn't have any high end restraunts and it can generate business for itself. Business around here are closing and the cinema which was the only one in town was a casuality. Local narrow minded leaders can't accept the fact that things have changed. And they have this issue of competion. Cliques are my real big turn off.

Old 06-05-2009, 03:05 AM

1 posts, read 6,182 times
The only thing I find wrong with Mississippi is that gossip is the main attraction. You don't have many friends if you don't gossip. Most people will find out more about you than you know about yourself. I don't know why they bother but they do. If one family member don't like you, none of their family likes you, they are a clanish people. You might hear "Have a Blessed Day." I have always wondered why they didn't say "Have a Bashed Day." Believe me someone bashed you.

Old 06-05-2009, 09:12 AM

1,008 posts, read 3,390,619 times
There is no "best" place to live in Mississippi, b/c everyone is different and has different preferences. If you're looking for the best overall place to live in Mississippi, it has to be Jackson. It has affordable housing, the best health care access in the state, good job growth, plentiful leisure activities, and the best cultural options the state has to offer. But, some people like the beach and would rather live on the Coast. Some people like historic downtowns and would rather live in Natchez or Vicksburg. Some people like college towns and would rather live in Oxford, Hattiesburg or Starkville. There's so many factors that it's difficult to say where the "best" place to live in Mississippi is. Everyone is different, and every city/town is different.

Old 06-05-2009, 01:30 PM

1,183 posts, read 2,889,220 times
The only place I would live in Mississippi is Oxford.

Old 06-06-2009, 01:35 PM

580 posts, read 1,421,234 times
Jackson is my choice and will always be my choice. I enjoy the city life and the suburbs don't get it for me. I currently live at Jackson/Clinton city limits and enjoy every minute of it. I look forward to a up to date nightlife and attractions Jackson need.

Old 05-17-2010, 11:35 PM

11 posts, read 33,639 times
I just saw this thread so i guess i am a year too late, but from my experience the Jackson/Clinton border is not the best of places to live.

Old 05-19-2010, 11:08 AM

1,008 posts, read 3,390,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mississippi Man View Post
I just saw this thread so i guess i am a year too late, but from my experience the Jackson/Clinton border is not the best of places to live.
Where do you think is the best place to live in Mississippi?

Old 05-24-2010, 02:35 PM

7 posts, read 27,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tennreb View Post
My list:

1. Oxford -- it has everything: good schools, unique shopping, beautiful neighborhoods, good arts scene, low taxes, low crime, great downtown, good music scene, educated populace, great restaurants, lots of history; the downside is that property values reflect this and, as a result, it is the most expensive place to live in the state

2. Ocean Springs -- beautiful town with great neighborhoods, surrounded by water, unique shops and good restaurants (though not as many as Oxford), great schools, good arts scene, laid-back people, relatively inexpensive

3. Natchez -- suffers from more problems than the other cities on the list, but wins major points for its beautiful neighborhoods, great views, nice downtown, lots of special events, loads of history, and its laid-back people (not dominated by anti-fun religious fundamentalists like most of Mississippi); however, lots of poverty and bad public schools (good private schools, though)

4. Madison -- very nice town that seems immune to the problems the rest of the state suffers from; loses points for cookie-cutter developments, dominance of chains, and an inferior downtown (though this is changing)

5. Hattiesburg -- decent town that is bolstered by a university; still, chains dominate and cookie-cutter developments are taking over; downtown is coming back and looks promising

Of course there are other good places in Mississippi, but these are my top five.
Just a few words in defense of my home town, Hattiesburg:

Hattiesburg is a GREAT town the is bolstered by TWO universities. The cookie cutter developments and chains are almost all on 98w headed out of the city. Most of those are developments aren't even in the city limits. The area, as a whole, is easy to avoid and the eastern part of town, the university area, downtown, and hardy st have pretty much anything you could ever need with a lot more character.

Also, while Oxford does have a good music scene, I don't believe that it is better than Hattiesburg's scene. More concerts are performed in Hattiesburg each year than in any other city in the state. Southern Miss has great music and theater departments (better than those at Ole Miss or State) that regularly put on shows both on campus and around town. The independent music scene downtown is thriving, including a wide range of local bands and a lot of bands from the surrounding area, especially New Orleans and Mobile.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi