Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2011, 03:38 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,185,348 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiogenesofJackson View Post
Translation: people move away, or in other words, many a Mississippian vote with their feet and take residence in another state. Then other Mississippians say "good riddance." Translation: Mississippians tend to be insular people and are suspicious of outsiders or of those who move away (to reiterate Jim Silver's idea of the "closed society").
Oh. Well I'm sure things are much different once a fellow crosses the border and finds a transformed, world-weary Louisiana. But never mind that, the above explanation doesn't resolve the inherent contradiction of acknowledging that the state is gaining population while claiming the net loss of population outpaces its net growth. These are mutually exclusive.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2011, 09:04 PM

25,573 posts, read 17,281,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
Oh. Well I'm sure things are much different once a fellow crosses the border and finds a transformed, world-weary Louisiana. But never mind that, the above explanation doesn't resolve the inherent contradiction of acknowledging that the state is gaining population while claiming the net loss of population outpaces its net growth. These are mutually exclusive.
Huh? You've noticed a contradiction, non sequitur, or quantum leap in one of Diogenes' posts? I'm shocked I tell you!

(He don't know nuthin')

Old 08-12-2011, 11:45 PM

327 posts, read 603,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by agradywills View Post
Could you show me a state devoid of racism? Could you?
Yeah you don't hear much about the black youths who terrorized the white Wisconsin State Fair goers that recently happened.

Police: Race Was Motive In Some Attacks At Wisconsin State Fair « CBS Chicago

Old 08-13-2011, 02:35 PM

16,508 posts, read 26,308,869 times
That is hardly a hate crime, by the way, what are black people doing in Wisconsin?!! Nevermind, its near Milwaukee.

Old 08-14-2011, 04:09 PM

1,156 posts, read 1,799,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
It's in the realm of the statisticians. They apply their formulas over thar at the high-fallutin' federal govurnmint-run Senses Burrow and these fellers with thar calculaturs and their forumulas demonstratin' how more folks move out of Mississippi than those who move in.

Seriously, however, I'll search for a U.S. Census Bureau link that shows what I'm talking about. About a month ago I saw this report that shows that Mississippi lost more residents in each of the past five censuses than any other state in the Union (yes, Mississippi is indeed in the Union, as much as you all don't like it).

Old 08-14-2011, 04:44 PM

3,734 posts, read 5,771,788 times
First, you need to realize that CNN is blatantly Anti-American and rabidly Anti-White. And also please consider that since the 1960s, the whole of the Mainstream Media supports a largely fictitious narrative that paints The South, Southerners, and Mississippians in particular, as being backward/racist/ignorant.... Deviation from that standard narrative is seldom allowed.

The fact that the primary Perp here is described as thin, short, with 'straggly' (I think the word is scraggly) blond hair, should tell you something. From the video, he appears to be of normal height, normal weight for a teen boy, and with well-cut hair that is gorgeous...not 'straggly'. I mean, if they are lying while simultaneously showing footage that points out their lies, then what else are they lying about?

This is so obviously a largely concocted and distorted story, I really don't think you should let it help shape your opinions of ANYTHING, except maybe your opinions regarding the credibility of the MSM and CNN.

The Perps are probably not angels. But I'm guessing that the Victim may not have been one, either.

My guess is that this is about bad kids going to a place where they knew drugs were being sold, and getting into deeper water than they expected. I'm guessing their minds were already impaired by at least two substances (420 stays in a person's system for days, which is why it is called a 'stupefying drug', and Beer is almost a given for bad kids that age)... but probably three or more substances.

I think the whole race angle is exaggerated...and possibly entirely made-up. The real story probably does not support the Anti-White, Anti White-Southerner, Anti-Protestant Narrative. This story (as fluffed-up by their spin doctors) is the dream scenario for Big Media, and they are not going to let little things like truth get in the way of a story that can be used as a way to counter the (largely suppressed) news of all the black Flash Mob attacks happening this summer, and of the nonwhites running amok in London (a story like London in Flames can't, yet, be hidden from the Public).

I smelled a Rat the minute this story broke, and the story just gets stinkier by the day.

But to answer your question: Mississippians of all colors get along astonishingly well, considering that the Mainstream Media has devoted itself, for half a century, to promoting hatred between the races.

Old 08-16-2011, 05:10 PM

Quote:
......... The Nissan plant in Canton pays well, but more than 50% of its employees came from points North. Similarly, the Toyota Blue Springs plant plans to hire mostly out of staters for employment...........
Prove it.

Old 08-16-2011, 05:56 PM

1,156 posts, read 1,799,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Listener2307 View Post
Prove it.
I don't have documentation that I can cite. I made the statements about the Canton plants employment practices because 1.) I knew people who worked in human resources there and told me most employees came from out of state, 2.) it stands to reason Nissan would hire out of staters to work at its Mississippi plant because when Nissan came in late 1999/early 2000s few Mississippians if any held any kind of specialized training in automobile production (though this has changed somewhat in the past 11 years). It only stands to reason that most of its workers would come from other plants--like those in Michigan, for example, 3.) the rigid applicant screening put heavy impediments toward much of the working population of the state of Mississippi. Lacking firm documentation, I can put my reasoning skills to work and make the conclusion from the evidence available (listed above).

Automobile plants, further, tend to bring a workforce with them. The same will hold true for the Tupelo area as Toyota has come to state. Be prepared for more of the "northern" invasion of skilled auto industry workers.

And keep in mind that I'm basing my conclusions on lots of anecdotal evidence and personal knowledge. I don't purport that I'm correct, only that my conclusions are sound, valid, cogent. I haven't heard many conclusions at all from you, other than I think it's clear you disagree with me. I also get the sense that you just have really one main point and that's Mississippi is some kind of utopia, and of course, it's my position that this claim is untrue.

On population trends, I've searched some of the U.S. Census Bureau's website and haven't found the pdf that I read some time ago. If I do find it, I'll post the link. Yet I can paraphrase that author's analysis. Basically, there's several ways a state's population can increase and decrease. There's natural propogation, meaning an existing resident can have children. Also, people can move to the state from other states (or even other countries, but that would be immigration). Acc. to the report I saw, more Mississippians had children than people who moved to the state--and this was true for the past five decades.

The report further demonstrated that the state's population has decreased in terms of more folks moving out than residents dying--the other way a state can lose population. It also showed that more residents moved out of Mississippi in the past five decades than those that moved in. In addition, it included statistics that more Mississippians have increased their family size at a much quicker rate than the frequency of people who moved out. Thus Mississippi was included among several states that had a net loss of population in recent decades. Mississippi was at the top of its list.

I even remember that it wasn't too long ago that the state's population decreased to the point of Mississippi losing congressional representation. In the 1980s, Mississippi had seven congressional districts, while today it's only five. Congressional districts are based on a state's population. This report reiterated what a few other responders on this thread were saying.

So those are my points. If I come off as sarcastic in my responses, it's only because I'm trying to keep up with you. But please, I welcome the opportunity to have a reasonable discussion. Just tell me how I'm wrong rather than just telling me that I don't know nuthin.

Old 08-16-2011, 06:24 PM

22,632 posts, read 14,941,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert_J View Post

As far has this being a "hate crime", that is probably the only thing I truly hate. Crimes should not be punished based on how someone was feeling at the time of the crime. This was a group of young people who beat and murdered an innocent man in a very horrible way. Punish them ALL for that. If someone was there, saw this happening and did nothing to stop it, they are just as guilty as the kid who actually ran over the man.
I understand your point of view and the logic behind it.

Permit me to at least attempt to explain why there are "hate crimes" provisions to laws. I am not a lawyer nor a legal expert, but this is how I understand how they came into existence.

First of all, have you ever driven through a work zone or construction zone and there is a sign that says something like "No Speeding - Fines doubled in Work Zone"? Hate crimes do not invalidate regular crime statutes, but are only meant to give "teeth" to those crimes that are committed against a person not randomly but pre-meditated on the basis of their race, religion, ethnicity, or whatever.

If a bunch of kids are playing baseball in a lot beside a warehouse and the ball breaks a window glass, technically a crime was committed: property was vandalized. A window was broken. If a group armed with bricks break the stained glass window of a Jewish synagogue, the same crime was committed: a window was broken. From the way I see it, the latter was a worse crime. It was a hate crime. Not just was window was broken but it was meant to send a threatening message to the people who worship in that synagogue.

The issue of hate crimes has been debated and argued thousands of times. Legal scholars and judges have extrapolated on it in journals and at conferences. Federal courts and the US Supreme Court have upheld the validity of hate crimes.

I hope someone will correct me if I am wrong - I said that I am not a lawyer - but hate crimes are crimes that are directed not only against an individual but a group as well. If someone is injured or killed solely on the basis of their skin color, the courts have determined this is a worse crime than if someone was just randomly victimized due to, say, a mugging or a barroom brawl.

Old 08-16-2011, 07:12 PM

Quote:
I don't have documentation that I can cite..........
Well, there you go.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi