Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2012, 11:16 AM

1,112 posts, read 2,582,425 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwkilgore View Post
FreePress601 and jhadorn, do you two have a personal feud going? In spite of the fact that the two of you often have similar opinions on the topic du jour, you always find a way to attack each other.

And before you say "the other guy started it", don't bother. It takes two to fight; if either of you just starts ignoring the other (it's really easy), the fighting stops. As it is all you are doing is detracting from otherwise reasonable discussions.
I think we have very dissimilar opinions on most topics. Go back and take a look. jwkilgore, my opinion is worth as much as yours on the black market. Nothing. Deal with it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2012, 01:53 PM

169 posts, read 237,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Balducci View Post
Since this thread was intially about how "Hollywood" portrays Mississippi, I would like to comment on what I think is a large part of the problem. I think there is a lack of understanding about the South because few people with clout in the movie or television industry (actors, producers, writers, critics, etc) are actually from the region. Do you think you will ever see a TV series about Southerners as popular with both audiences and critics as "Mad Men" or "The Sopranos"? (I dislike both).
I think one of the problems with the movie "The Help" was that most of the lead actors and actresses weren't Southern and thus had difficulty establishing any sort of authenticity. I believe Meridian-born Sela Ward would have been perfect for playing Skeeter's (Emma Stone's) mother.
Movies based of John Grisham's works had the same problems.
I disagree.

You don't need 15 people with clout, just one or two.

Morgan Freeman is arguably the best "old" actor still in Hollywood pulling down big checks.

He can easily start producing and directing films in Mississippi from other angles than "The Help". He's from the Clarksdale area so a movie about the Blues in Mississippi would fit him perfect to direct or executive produce.

Allit takes is the right people in his circle to talk about it. Clint Eastwood did it, why can't Morgan?

I think Hollywood only do period films about Mississippi because that's all they care to know.

And actually it's not about that anyway. Mississippi can change the way Hollywood portrays us just by simply allowing them to come in and make movies so we can get that tax revenue and build a surplus. THEN you'll see a good movie about Mississippi made in Mississippi that's not about race or civil rights..

Like a version of Dusk til Dawn shot in Mississippi. horror flick. or make a new horror character and base him Mississippi, like Texas Chainsaw massacre. Have the movie trailer go something like "Deep in the woods of Mississippi, lies an awful secret...5 Teenagers go on a camping trip but only 1 comes home"..."Nobody is safe.....in...

THE WOODS OF MISSISSIPPI - Rated R.

I would go watch it just to support that it was shot in Mississippi.

Put Megan Fox and Meagan Goode in it..lol

Old 04-16-2012, 02:14 PM

1,112 posts, read 2,582,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FreePress601 View Post
make a new horror character and base him Mississippi, like Texas Chainsaw massacre.
Just please don't make him a redneck, snaggletooth, overall wearing, tobacco chewing racist with a deep southern accent.

Old 04-16-2012, 03:12 PM

468 posts, read 785,746 times
FreePress601 sez:

"Mississippi can change the way Hollywood portrays us just by simply allowing them to come in and make movies so we can get that tax revenue and build a surplus. THEN you'll see a good movie about Mississippi made in Mississippi that's not about race or civil rights.."

"The Help" and some movies based on John Grisham's books were filmed in Mississippi. There was nothing stopping them from doing so.

Old 04-16-2012, 03:31 PM

352 posts, read 780,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FreePress601 View Post
Like a version of Dusk til Dawn shot in Mississippi. horror flick. or make a new horror character and base him Mississippi, like Texas Chainsaw massacre. Have the movie trailer go something like "Deep in the woods of Mississippi, lies an awful secret...5 Teenagers go on a camping trip but only 1 comes home"..."Nobody is safe.....in...

THE WOODS OF MISSISSIPPI - Rated R.

I would go watch it just to support that it was shot in Mississippi.

Put Megan Fox and Meagan Goode in it..lol

"Straw Dogs" was a 2011 movie about Mississippi even though it was filmed in Louisiana. It's kind of a horror movie, but based on the usual stereotypes.

No I didn't see it, just the trailer.

Old 04-16-2012, 03:47 PM

468 posts, read 785,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaoCT View Post
"Straw Dogs" was a 2011 movie about Mississippi even though it was filmed in Louisiana. It's kind of a horror movie, but based on the usual stereotypes.
It was a remake of a 1971 movie starring Dustin Hoffman and filmed in England. I haven't seen it - too brutal.

Old 04-16-2012, 07:41 PM

78 posts, read 95,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwkilgore View Post

I also saw "The Help" recently, and I'm assuming watching that movie is what prompted this thread. IMHO, that movie is an reasonably accurate portrayal of life in upscale Jackson, MS, in the last century. Unfortunately, many people who watch it don't see it as a historical documentary, but rather as a portrayal of current events.
I think you really nailed it there. I'm sure the book's author didn't intend for that to happen, but it happened nonetheless. Until Hollywood finds another state or region to kick around, Mississippi will unfortunately continue to bear the brunt of such unwarranted scorn and ridicule.

Old 04-17-2012, 01:19 AM

475 posts, read 507,757 times
Mississippi will always be a racist state. You may not be one but 95% of the population still lives in the 1950's. Id rather live in Hollywood (i actually do) than moving to Mississippi and have to live with the rednecks.[/quote]

Last edited by Marce30; 04-17-2012 at 01:27 AM..

Old 04-17-2012, 07:34 AM

169 posts, read 237,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marce30 View Post
Mississippi will always be a racist state. You may not be one but 95% of the population still lives in the 1950's. Id rather live in Hollywood (i actually do) than moving to Mississippi and have to live with the rednecks.

Rednecks vs. Illegal Mexican Immigrants.

Honestly, I'll take my chances with the rednecks. they pretty much stay to themselves down here. unlike the Illegals who will rob you in broad daylight in front of the bank with the Cops watching.

Old 04-17-2012, 07:52 AM

49,932 posts, read 59,901,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marce30 View Post
but 95% of the population still lives in the 1950's.
[/quote]

Wow, thanks for bringing actual statistics with verifiable sources to the table.

The state actually has increased tax incentives for filmmakers. But Chris Balducci hit the nail on the head. The South will continue to be portrayed as a freak show because the majority of movie producers are NOT from here and DO NOT understand it as anything else. It is easier (and cheaper) to roll out a typical Southern gothic piece or another Dukes of Hazzard than actually try to get it right.

Many films that portray Mississippi are not only one-note works, they actually have been harmful to public perception of the state, such as O Brother Where Art Thou? or Easy Rider. My Dog Skip seems to be a rare recent MS movie with a positive portrayal.

Sure, Morgan Freeman COULD make movies that accurately portray this region, but based on his schedule I wouldn't say it's on his, ahem, "bucket list."

Last edited by BirdieBelle; 04-17-2012 at 08:00 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi