Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2012, 08:27 AM

169 posts, read 237,584 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Wow, thanks for bringing actual statistics with verifiable sources to the table.

The state actually has increased tax incentives for filmmakers. But Chris Balducci hit the nail on the head. The South will continue to be portrayed as a freak show because the majority of movie producers are NOT from here and DO NOT understand it as anything else. It is easier (and cheaper) to roll out a typical Southern gothic piece or another Dukes of Hazzard than actually try to get it right.
That absoluetly NOTHING to do with it. nothing. Just because a producer or director is not from Mississippi doesn't mean they can't make a great movie about Mississippi. a more accurate focus is the writers from Mississippi, not the producers.

Look at John Grisham's work, although he has a tunnel vision of topics he writes about, the movies made from his books are stellar.

All that needs to happen is another GOOD writer from Mississippi like John Grisham that has a different approach to writing, to step up with a hot best seller book that a great producer can sink his teeth into.

The reason the same old formula for Mississippi works in Hollywood, is because that's all they have to go on. and it works.

You wait until a Young writer writes a book about Mississippi from a more modern approach (circa 1980's maybe) that's a page-turner and some powerful producer like Ridley Scott or John Singleton picks it up and you'll see that stigma change quickly.

Just look what Hustle & Flow did for the film scene in Memphis. exploded.

Quote:
Many films that portray Mississippi are not only one-note works, they actually have been harmful to public perception of the state, such as O Brother Where Art Thou? or Easy Rider. My Dog Skip seems to be a rare recent MS movie with a positive portrayal.
Backwoods countryness has always been a Mississippi trait. that'll never change.

Quote:
Sure, Morgan Freeman COULD make movies that accurately portray this region, but based on his schedule I wouldn't say it's on his, ahem, "bucket list."
If he could take time out to open a restaurant in Clarksdale and run for a City Council seat(lost), He can find time to direct/produce a movie.. and it looks like that's exactly what he's making time to do since he's getting too old to run with the Hollywood crowd.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2012, 09:20 AM

49,932 posts, read 59,901,366 times
As a writer, I assure you that I can write all day and all night, but if a producer will not finance my project, it means nothing.

Yes, it has something to do with it.

Old 04-17-2012, 10:55 AM

169 posts, read 237,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wmsn4Life View Post
As a writer, I assure you that I can write all day and all night, but if a producer will not finance my project, it means nothing.

Yes, it has something to do with it.
No, it really doesn't.

People put out low budget films all the time. with little or no money. It can be done. no need for a big budget producer to come in and pump money into it.

And if you want to keep the artistic integrity in your screenplay, then sometimes it's best to put it out on a shoestring budget and not allow a major producer to fudge it up with aspects that might take away from your screenplay.

You can get a loan from the bank for $50,000 and shoot a decent movie. just find actors and actresses that are hungry and willing to work for peanuts just to get the movie out.

ie- Dazed and Confused

Not sure if you ever saw that movie, but the guy who wrote the screenplay and directed it, put it out with very little money, some say he used loans and credit cards to pay for everything...lol...but the movie went on to gross millions...

From wiki---Dazed and Confused was released on September 24, 1993 in 183 theaters, grossing $918,127 on its opening weekend. It went on to make $7.9 million in North America.[7]

AND no well known actors were present in that movie, but it spawned the careers of Matthew McConaughey and Ben Affleck.

Old 04-17-2012, 11:01 AM

2,122 posts, read 3,683,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marce30 View Post
Mississippi will always be a racist state. You may not be one but 95% of the population still lives in the 1950's. Id rather live in Hollywood (i actually do) than moving to Mississippi and have to live with the rednecks.
You show your ignorance in every post you make. Give it a rest already. For someone who lives in Hollywood with so much to do you still find time to bash others. Guess that's what happens when someone will never be happy with their own life. Get lost.

Old 04-17-2012, 02:45 PM

475 posts, read 507,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FreePress601 View Post
Rednecks vs. Illegal Mexican Immigrants.

Honestly, I'll take my chances with the rednecks. they pretty much stay to themselves down here. unlike the Illegals who will rob you in broad daylight in front of the bank with the Cops watching.
Ive been living in LA for a long time and i have never being robed. And im ok with illegal inmigrants, they are cheap labor.

Old 04-17-2012, 08:12 PM

25,555 posts, read 17,256,908 times
Quote:
Ive been living in LA for a long time and i have never being robed. And im ok with illegal inmigrants, they are cheap labor.
Moses was robed, but never robbed.

You have neither been robed nor robbed. You may be robbed at some point, but until you learn to communicate you will never be robed.

We will now listen attentively while you assail the Mississippi educational system......................

Old 04-17-2012, 08:17 PM

78 posts, read 95,877 times
Quote:
And im ok with illegal inmigrants, they are cheap labor.
So you're actually a closet Republican???

Old 04-18-2012, 04:15 AM

5,981 posts, read 18,264,452 times
Quote:
Is it like very very racist and backwards in the South ? im asking because ive never been there but from what ive heard it sounds like an scary place to live. No offense at all.
From another thread - so you've never been to the South or robed either (my eyes, my eyes!). I guess that's the point of the entire thread - too many people weighing in and pretending to know Southern history but getting bogged down in the past, not knowing the positive aspects of the past - and the stigma lives on. Scared of the South? Really? Aren't you from Argentina? I'd have been scared to live there in the 1950's too, if I were involved in the media. No place is perfect, everywhere you go there is a history, good or bad - but to slam an entire region you've never visited? Really? Well, you state you like the plastic people of Hollywood, so different strokes I suppose.

Old 04-18-2012, 08:40 AM

468 posts, read 785,746 times
I think it would be better to ignore "Marce30" from now on .
As a Christian, I am supposed to err on the side of charity and not insult someone who disagrees with me - for example, making fun of their poor spelling or word syntax. Sadly, I don't always live up to that.

God bless,

CKB

Old 04-18-2012, 08:58 AM

25,555 posts, read 17,256,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Balducci View Post
I think it would be better to ignore "Marce30" from now on .
As a Christian, I am supposed to err on the side of charity and not insult someone who disagrees with me - for example, making fun of their poor spelling or word syntax. Sadly, I don't always live up to that.
Sometimes humor is the best way to make a point. Marce30 may well assign himself the task of becoming a better speller and communicator as a result of your post. Or mine.
We hope so. No one will ever make a point effectively by using "mall-speak", as I have heard it called. Those who text often and habitually can gradually lose the all important ability to construct sentences properly and make convincing arguments.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi