Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-31-2012, 09:19 AM

18,949 posts, read 43,571,506 times

Advertisements

Yep, it's sold in gallon jugs (like milk jugs). A little too sweet for me though, I prefer to make my own.

Milo's Famous Tea, Sweet Tea, Splenda Tea, Unsweetened Tea
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2012, 09:33 AM

10,060 posts, read 12,800,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaoCT View Post
I'm sure I'll be called a Yankee when I move down next month, my fiance's friends call me that whenever I visit. One day a few months ago I asked "Are there any bagel places around here?" (we were Hattiesburg) and one friend said "Keep your Yankee bagels up there in Yankeeland!" Lol, he was kidding.

There's used to be a cafe called "The Beagle Bagel" when I was a student at the University of Southern Mississippi. Looking at the area now with Google Maps I notice the building is gone and a new building in its place. The BB was built as a Sambo's many years ago and stayed closed for years until the BB moved in. I remember eating at the restaurant back when it was a Sambo's. I think that was back in the late 70s.

God bless.

Old 08-31-2012, 09:53 PM

1,112 posts, read 2,582,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernnaturelover View Post
Yep, it's sold in gallon jugs (like milk jugs). A little too sweet for me though, I prefer to make my own.

Milo's Famous Tea, Sweet Tea, Splenda Tea, Unsweetened Tea
Very familiar with Milo's. Much better than the Nestea and Lipton stuff, but not sweet enough for my taste. It's still the best store bought tea though IMO.

Old 09-01-2012, 05:20 AM

12 posts, read 20,829 times
Technically you are more southern than most here. Remember this the new south where the bleeding take care of the lazy and worthless.

Old 09-01-2012, 11:11 AM

3,734 posts, read 5,766,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wnewberry22 View Post
It would almost be beneficial for me to lose this appalachian accent but it is here for the long haul I think. I mean, my people think a generic southern accent is cute but when you hear some 6'5 hillbilly from moonshine country like myself talk about hollers and coon hunting people aren't too keen, haha
I think you'll do very well in Mississippi. Larry the Cable Guy is the standard of masculinity there, and anyone more effete/intellectual/feminine than him is regarded as a sissy. Men, in Mississippi, are expected to act as if they think only about Football, huntin', and eatin' barbeque. In other words, it sounds like you're a dream-come-true for about half the women, and 100% of the men. Mississippi has the highest standards for 'butchness' of any state in the union. When effeminate Mississippi men move elsewhere, they frequently discover that by the standards of the rest of the Western World, they are considered masculine. And masculinity is something over which Mississippians endlessly obsess. It's ever-so-important.

So, I think you will be inundated with women throwing themselves at you (even/especially in the Young Adults Sunday School class), and men desperately trying to be your 'good buddy'.... trying to get you alone at hunting camp, the Bass fishin' tournament.... Also expect men wanting to take you home to meet their wives. And you'll be recruited to a good swing group which normally does not accept 'single males' (nobody wants to swing with sissies: they ruin the vibe). Enjoy! Being big & butch, you have what it takes to get at all the private pleasures which make up for the rather boring public life in the state.

My Decorator and my Ad Man, who both remain in Mississippi, are (by Mississippi standards) effeminate. To make matters worse, they are refined, erudite, and analytical-- in a state where crudeness, ignorance and emotional adherence to dogma are highly valued. They find themselves completely locked out of all social/romantic venues, and basically have no lives outside the gym and the office (and their half-empty McMansions in Madison). And no: they can't form a couple: "I don't want that fey little thing. It would be like looking in the mirror!" And so it goes...

You, on the other hand, possess the Golden Key. Go forth, ye big, butch paragon of hillbillyness, and enjoy the feast laid out before ye.... because (to use the state's old ad slogan) It's yours in Mississippi!

Old 09-01-2012, 11:20 AM

10,060 posts, read 12,800,899 times
Grandview Gloria - More than a troll; she's a chupacabra!

Old 09-01-2012, 11:31 AM

3,734 posts, read 5,766,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mouldy old schmo View Post
grandview gloria - more than a troll; she's a chupacabra!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qGfkfM_WQVI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5COoxAIaWzU

להביט במראה

Last edited by GrandviewGloria; 09-01-2012 at 12:41 PM..

Old 09-01-2012, 12:22 PM

231 posts, read 701,050 times
Talking Keep them coming!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrandviewGloria View Post

You, on the other hand, possess the Golden Key. Go forth, ye big, butch paragon of hillbillyness, and enjoy the feast laid out before ye.... because (to use the state's old ad slogan) It's yours in Mississippi!

GrandviewGloria: I think you're priceless!!!!

Old 09-01-2012, 08:27 PM

3,325 posts, read 3,168,984 times
Quote:
Hello all,

I'm moving to Mississippi fairly soon (around Jackson) and all my friends have advised me that I'll be regarded as a yankee. I grew up in southwest virginia near the tennessee border in a city called Bristol (some may know it for bristol motor speedway). This area is in the thick of appalachia so my accent is very heavy...probably different than a mississippi accent but still resembles a typical southern accent. So...I'm just curious if I will be regarded as a "yankee" in Mississippi or if it will be an issue.

I mean...I am moving from the capital of the confederacy afterall, so ME being the yankee seems a little awkward to me but I am just curious
Virginia, no. You're not a yankee. Don't they teach you people anything anymore?

Old 09-02-2012, 05:22 PM

1,156 posts, read 1,798,923 times
Quote:
Hello all,

I'm moving to Mississippi fairly soon (around Jackson) and all my friends have advised me that I'll be regarded as a yankee. I grew up in southwest virginia near the tennessee border in a city called Bristol (some may know it for bristol motor speedway). This area is in the thick of appalachia so my accent is very heavy...probably different than a mississippi accent but still resembles a typical southern accent. So...I'm just curious if I will be regarded as a "yankee" in Mississippi or if it will be an issue.

I mean...I am moving from the capital of the confederacy afterall, so ME being the yankee seems a little awkward to me but I am just curious
As long as you enjoy hunting, are a member of a mainline Christian sect, are a youth sports enthusiast, vote Republican, hate Obama, and make a lot of money, you'll fit in just fine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi