Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-12-2013, 05:32 AM

6,616 posts, read 13,824,973 times

Advertisements

This post is not meant to get on people's nerves, so please don't let it get to you.

I'm from the northeast and I'll be honest, not a single state outside the northeast has a good rep to many people who have been born and raised there. I grew up in NY and CT my entire life and haven't loved outside of it until I moved to Atlanta, GA in August of last year.

But even down here people hate on northerners and whatever, which I can understand but don't really care. What is crazy to me is that nearly everyone down here in Atlanta also hates on Mississippi hardcore. Even people that I've met outside of Atlanta in GA hate on your state.

Before you argue that everyone from Atlanta and surrounding areas is from the northeast, the people who feel strongly that Mississippi is the worst place on planet Earth that I've met are from Texas, South Carolina (which I don't see how they have time to hate on anyone except for themselves since their state absolutely blows), and native Georgians.

It just kind of makes me feel bad for you guys. I plan on taking a trip to Alabama and Mississippi at some point this summer to formulate my own educated opinion on your state and other southern states.

Just wanted to kind of rant a little and let you all know that not all of us NYers Moderator cut: language removed

Last edited by nancy thereader; 01-12-2013 at 04:22 PM..
Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2013, 07:32 AM

7,480 posts, read 6,253,222 times
When you get down to Alabama and Mississippi and formulate your educated opinion on Alabama, Mississippi and other Southern states, be sure you tell the locals how they could make improvements and do things like y'all do in new york and connecticut. They will appreciate it.

Old 01-12-2013, 07:48 AM

2,319 posts, read 4,800,934 times
Just about everyone has an opinion on just about everything. Most people I've met who bad-mouth another place have never been to that place. Sometimes their opinions are based on reading a book, watching a news piece, or hearing what Aunt Ethel said it was like fifty years ago. While everyone is certainly entitled to think whatever is that they want to think, I give very little credence to the person who has no personal experience with a place.

My husband and I lived in Pennsylvania for several years, and I spent three years traveling back and forth to NYC. I also had the experience that you did. Several NYers would ask me why anyone would live in the middle of the country (as if Alabama and Idaho are the same!). When I asked if they had ever been to Kansas or Mississippi or Wisconsin, they would say, "No, why should I?" Well, I give their disdain for the land between the coasts little credit. I have met Southerners with the same attitude - "Why would I ever want to go to Vermont?" "It's just a bunch of gays out in San Francisco." Close mindedness and hatefulness are not just targeted at MS or the south; they originate there as well.

I grew up in NE MS, between Tupelo and Jackson, and I do not have a high opinion of the area or the state in general. I try to be respectful of those who love it and I wish them the very best, but I will never live there again. My parents were forced to relocate for health reasons, and I have no family there anymore so that chapter is permanently closed.

I hope you will visit and form your own opinions, though a trip is never the same as an extended stay of a summer, a year, or a decade. There is much that can only be discovered as an outsider trying to fit in. It also matters very much where you live. I have been told that Hattiesburg and the coast are much more open minded and progressive.

To sum up this long post, I wouldn't pay much attention to those who've never traveled to MS or lived in MS for any period of time. A drive from New Orleans to Memphis with pit stops in between does not qualify someone as an expert. Go for a visit and see what you think.

Old 01-12-2013, 09:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southern man View Post
When you get down to Alabama and Mississippi and formulate your educated opinion on Alabama, Mississippi and other Southern states, be sure you tell the locals how they could make improvements and do things like y'all do in new york and connecticut. They will appreciate it.
Learn to read. I didn't say that I am going to recommend any improvements on anything when I visit. What I see as an improvement may be taking some sort of unique value away from the state or culture which I don't think is right. I was defending Mississippi since all I hear about are terrible things. Stop being instantly offended for no reason.

Quote:
Originally Posted by peppermint View Post
Just about everyone has an opinion on just about everything. Most people I've met who bad-mouth another place have never been to that place. Sometimes their opinions are based on reading a book, watching a news piece, or hearing what Aunt Ethel said it was like fifty years ago. While everyone is certainly entitled to think whatever is that they want to think, I give very little credence to the person who has no personal experience with a place.

My husband and I lived in Pennsylvania for several years, and I spent three years traveling back and forth to NYC. I also had the experience that you did. Several NYers would ask me why anyone would live in the middle of the country (as if Alabama and Idaho are the same!). When I asked if they had ever been to Kansas or Mississippi or Wisconsin, they would say, "No, why should I?" Well, I give their disdain for the land between the coasts little credit. I have met Southerners with the same attitude - "Why would I ever want to go to Vermont?" "It's just a bunch of gays out in San Francisco." Close mindedness and hatefulness are not just targeted at MS or the south; they originate there as well.

I grew up in NE MS, between Tupelo and Jackson, and I do not have a high opinion of the area or the state in general. I try to be respectful of those who love it and I wish them the very best, but I will never live there again. My parents were forced to relocate for health reasons, and I have no family there anymore so that chapter is permanently closed.

I hope you will visit and form your own opinions, though a trip is never the same as an extended stay of a summer, a year, or a decade. There is much that can only be discovered as an outsider trying to fit in. It also matters very much where you live. I have been told that Hattiesburg and the coast are much more open minded and progressive.

To sum up this long post, I wouldn't pay much attention to those who've never traveled to MS or lived in MS for any period of time. A drive from New Orleans to Memphis with pit stops in between does not qualify someone as an expert. Go for a visit and see what you think.
1. People in NYC don't know where any inner states are on a map (which I am guilty of too to some extent).

2. I agree that an extended stay is definitely a better way to learn about something but unfortunately I won't be able to do so. But I figure at least getting out there for a day or two can at least help me see what it's like. I've never been off the East Coast and definitely need to start exploring more. People tell me that Atlanta isn't the "real South" and they suggest that Mississippi and Alabama will give me a better picture. I don't know if they're sarcastic or not but I'm going either way.

Old 01-12-2013, 10:04 AM

18,949 posts, read 43,571,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ja1myn View Post
People tell me that Atlanta isn't the "real South" and they suggest that Mississippi and Alabama will give me a better picture. I don't know if they're sarcastic or not but I'm going either way.
To me, Atlanta isn't the "real" South. However, you certainly don't need to leave GA to find it, just drive down to some of the small towns like La Grange, Thomaston, Eatonton, Milledgeville, Dublin, etc...

Old 01-12-2013, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southernnaturelover View Post
To me, Atlanta isn't the "real" South. However, you certainly don't need to leave GA to find it, just drive down to some of the small towns like La Grange, Thomaston, Eatonton, Milledgeville, Dublin, etc...
I went to Lithonia, GA the other day which was pretty rural.

What even is the "real South"? I don't know what to look for.

Old 01-12-2013, 12:24 PM

16,066 posts, read 21,123,322 times
ja1myn,
Unfortunately your OP comes off as a bit rude even if you say you don't mean it that way. Do you know the meaning of a backhanded compliment?
People in MS don't want, or need, you to feel bad for them, it just comes across as condescending. If you want to feel bad for someone, feel bad for the idiots that put down a place they know nothing about in order to feel better about themselves.

I'm glad you want to see for yourself and form your own opinions. Please come with an open mind. If you come and try to compare it to NY or CT or even Atlanta you will probably be disappointed. OTOH if you come prepared to accept it for what it is you may find that you like it.

The 'real south' is a lot of things. Where will you be going? Along the Gulf Coast, along the Mississippi River, visiting small delta towns, maybe visiting some of the more touristy or well known small cities?
Maybe something like this would be a good start -> Blessing of the Fleet looks cautiously to the future in Bayou La Batre (photo gallery) | al.com

Old 01-12-2013, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DubbleT View Post
ja1myn,
Unfortunately your OP comes off as a bit rude even if you say you don't mean it that way. Do you know the meaning of a backhanded compliment?
People in MS don't want, or need, you to feel bad for them, it just comes across as condescending. If you want to feel bad for someone, feel bad for the idiots that put down a place they know nothing about in order to feel better about themselves.

I'm glad you want to see for yourself and form your own opinions. Please come with an open mind. If you come and try to compare it to NY or CT or even Atlanta you will probably be disappointed. OTOH if you come prepared to accept it for what it is you may find that you like it.

The 'real south' is a lot of things. Where will you be going? Along the Gulf Coast, along the Mississippi River, visiting small delta towns, maybe visiting some of the more touristy or well known small cities?
Maybe something like this would be a good start -> Blessing of the Fleet looks cautiously to the future in Bayou La Batre (photo gallery) | al.com
It wasn't a backhanded compliment. I was just saying that everywhere I live it seems like no one really likes MS. There's no reason for anyone to get offended by my OP.

I go everywhere with an open mind. That's not an issue. No where is like NY or CT or ATL since everywhere is different. It's not hard for me to accept that.

A small delta town sounds cool. Thank you for the link.

Old 01-12-2013, 01:18 PM

18,949 posts, read 43,571,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ja1myn View Post
I went to Lithonia, GA the other day which was pretty rural.

What even is the "real South"? I don't know what to look for.
That's not even leaving DeKalb County, you need to explore a little farther from Atlanta than that. Georgia is a big state, take a trip down towards Columbus sometime.

When over 80% of the population speaks with a heavy Southern accent (in all races), you'll know you're in the REAL South.

Old 01-12-2013, 01:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southernnaturelover View Post
That's not even leaving DeKalb County, you need to explore a little farther from Atlanta than that. Georgia is a big state, take a trip down towards Columbus sometime.

When over 80% of the population speaks with a heavy Southern accent (in all races), you'll know you're in the REAL South.
I'll go there sometime. Thanks for the suggestion!

A couple people here in ATL have thick Southern accents that I sometimes can't understand, but I guess I'll just have to wait and see lol.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi