Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2013, 11:12 AM

7,480 posts, read 6,260,559 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ja1myn View Post
Yes. Is that also a problem with you?
No problem. Just remember to say Yes Sir and No Sir to the deputy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2013, 11:15 AM

2,319 posts, read 4,803,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wardendresden View Post
But the police may not be! I drove down to visit my Dad in Mobile some years ago with Kentucky license plates on and was followed by a county mountie through his entire jurisdiction--and I knew exactly what he was doing. The only place worse than Alabama or Mississippi for tagging out of staters from the north (and I guess Kentucky was figured to be north by my mountie) is Louisiana whose cops don't really care for drivers with ANY other plate besides Louisiana and maybe even especially Alabama and Mississippi!!!
How funny! I drove in MS all the time with PA, TN, and MI plates. Never had a problem. My mom and I did get stopped in OK with MS plates, and the statie wanted to know what we were doing there. HA! I was driving my mom's car (MS plate) with a PA license. I guess we confused him!

Never had any trouble in MS with out of state tags. Now, OP, if you take Hwy 82 through Gordo or Reform, AL, you best SLOW DOWN! (This highway goes from Tuscaloosa, AL to Columbus, MS.) They absolutely will ticket you. They will ticket you for five over. It's CRAZY!

Old 01-15-2013, 11:58 AM

6,459 posts, read 12,028,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ja1myn View Post
Yes. Is that also a problem with you?
Not from either Miss or GA, but most states require you to get new plates and a license within 30 days of legal residency.

Old 01-15-2013, 12:00 PM

6,459 posts, read 12,028,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Southern man View Post
No problem. Just remember to say Yes Sir and No Sir to the deputy.
LOL!

And to not make any sudden movements and to keep your hands visible at all times.

Also, do NOT ask the officer why he stopped you. If he doesn't tell you, just "let it go".

Please do not assert any of that "I have rights" crap. Cops don't take kindly to that kind of talk.

I'm from NY by the way.

Old 01-15-2013, 02:09 PM

5,234 posts, read 7,986,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernnaturelover View Post
What? Do you realize how many people from the Midwest (and even Canada) come to this area? I find it hard to believe a deputy cared anything about your Kentucky plates.
Why is that hard to believe? Google Policing for Profit, that might open your eyes a bit.

Why NY plates? You have 30 days from the date you established residency to get Georgia tags. So its not a problem to us, but a potential problem for you if you don't get in state tags. Personally, I'd rather have in state tags, makes life easier. Only time I didn't have was when in the military, but that's legal.

But It's not our problem.
40-2-8(a) Failure of New Resident to Register in 30 Days - 150.00 fine (1st offense)
40-5-20(a) New Resident 30 Days to Get License - 150.00
Plus 50.00 court fee.

http://web.co.dekalb.ga.us/dcrc/pdf/fines_fees.pdf

Last edited by todd00; 01-15-2013 at 02:33 PM..

Old 01-15-2013, 05:04 PM

21 posts, read 47,152 times
Dang...some of you got really defensive with the OP. It wasn't worded the best way, but I have a hard time believing this person was trying to be rude. If anything, some of you were. Hold off before breaking out the torches and pitchforks, townspeople. (Oh, and I have a "thick accent" and admit it proudly. Nothing offensive about that term whatsoever.)

I can say you're a bit right, OP. I was born and raised in South Mississippi for my first 11 years of life, and it's home. I'll always defend it. But we catch it in the media and from other people--sometimes because of our past, sometimes because of others' prejudices. It's all about attitude, and some people just have preconceived notions and won't let them go. I choose to ignore it. I can't change the fact that I'm from Mississippi and don't want to. And Atlanta shouldn't really get in a pissing contest about being better than another state when they're in the state that spawned Honey Boo Boo.

Old 01-16-2013, 06:00 AM

6,616 posts, read 13,831,744 times
I barely drive because I am able to take the train to and from work, so if I drive, it's only when it's raining heavily or when I have to go somewhere that the MARTA system can't. So the whole car and license thing isn't really my biggest concern.

Thank you to all the people who have given me useful advice and thank you brookhavennative for understanding my intentions.

Old 01-21-2013, 10:44 AM

1 posts, read 2,327 times
I live in Jackson. Here's my opinion. I don't care for it. But Hattisburg is nice, you should go there. You will wasteyour time and money coming to Jackson.

Old 01-21-2013, 04:20 PM

4,395 posts, read 4,911,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdAilment View Post
3 Doors Down is from Mississippi
Britney Spears was born in Mississippi
Faith Hill is from Mississippi
Eli Manning played for Ole Miss (University of Mississippi)

Just some famous pop culture that Mississippi is known for.
Rock band Saving Abel is from Corinth, MS.
Morgan Freeman lives part time around Clarksdale, MS and has a restaurant/juke joint there.
Ty Tabor from my favorite band, King's X.

Rather than keep listing them, Wikipedia has a great list - List of people from Mississippi - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia There are a LOT of blues musicians on there. And even though Jerry Lee Lewis was born in Louisiana, he lives just down the road from me in Nesbit, MS.

Old 01-21-2013, 07:09 PM

268 posts, read 948,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brookhavennative View Post
Dang...some of you got really defensive with the OP. It wasn't worded the best way, but I have a hard time believing this person was trying to be rude. If anything, some of you were. Hold off before breaking out the torches and pitchforks, townspeople. (Oh, and I have a "thick accent" and admit it proudly. Nothing offensive about that term whatsoever.)

I can say you're a bit right, OP. I was born and raised in South Mississippi for my first 11 years of life, and it's home. I'll always defend it. But we catch it in the media and from other people--sometimes because of our past, sometimes because of others' prejudices. It's all about attitude, and some people just have preconceived notions and won't let them go. I choose to ignore it. I can't change the fact that I'm from Mississippi and don't want to. And Atlanta shouldn't really get in a pissing contest about being better than another state when they're in the state that spawned Honey Boo Boo.
And oddly enough Atlanta has NOTHING in common with the state of Georgia other than being the capital city, there are times that I wish that Metro Atlanta would become a district like D.C. just so that we could get away from this backwood influence that reside in the capital building. Honey Boo Boo is from rural Georgia something you may can relate to and not Metro Atlanta, I actually look down on the way they exploit that child, and the way you worded your rant that I have highlighted I must say that the only places in the south that can compete with Atlanta would be Houston, Dallas and Miami, you may not agree but thats my opinion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi