Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-11-2013, 01:44 PM

7,480 posts, read 6,260,559 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwkilgore View Post
Ok, here's where I'm in danger of an ***-kicking. I'm not a fan of Mississippi-style BBQ; it's too weak. I like the dark & sweet Midwestern-style, which is similar to Memphis-style. Next would be "Carolina sweet", which is a mustard-based sweet sauce.
You are right off course, I find Mississippi BBQ too sweet. I like a vinegar based sauce and they don't have Bruinswick Stew.
Actually I copied that list out of a Lower Alabama free shopper paper called the Mullet Wrapper and I believe it was directed at snowbirds, all in good humor of course.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2013, 12:15 AM

799 posts, read 1,065,682 times
Mississippi BBQ is way to sweet for my taste. Since I have lived in Tunica County which is only 30 mins for Memphis, I cannot eat another form of BBQ.

Old 11-12-2013, 01:04 AM

1,180 posts, read 3,127,660 times
ROFL. Loved the "Rules"!

I'm a native Californian and I'd rather be in the South. CA USED TO BE a great place to live but now it just isn't the same place it was. It's over-crowded, expensive and generally just a rat race. It does have some nice scenery but Who can afford to take time off work to enjoy it?

The South on the other hand, while not perfect, has gorgeous scenery and most importantly it has Southerners! Y'all keep saying Ma'am and Sir and having good manners or my Southern grandparents might just haunt you.

I don't barbeque but my Daddy made great barbeque. He learned from his Daddy who was from MO. Does that count?

Oh! and do Southerners still put peanuts in their cokes at all? I l learned to do that from one of my grandparents and still love the taste combinations of the coke with peanuts in the coke.

Old 11-12-2013, 07:14 AM

7,480 posts, read 6,260,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skelaki View Post

Oh! and do Southerners still put peanuts in their cokes at all? I l learned to do that from one of my grandparents and still love the taste combinations of the coke with peanuts in the coke.
That brings back memories. You could buy a small Coke and a pack of salted peanuts for a dime,put the peanuts into the coke and that was good.

Old 11-12-2013, 03:43 PM

560 posts, read 786,706 times
Default Mississippi BBQ

Quote:
Originally Posted by sammyreynolds1977 View Post
Mississippi BBQ is way to sweet for my taste. Since I have lived in Tunica County which is only 30 mins for Memphis, I cannot eat another form of BBQ.
Well, I've learned something new. BBQ is mostly used as a noun in MS? Here in California it's mostly used as the verb - "Seadory is going to make more of her tasteless barbecued chicken tonight." Or, "Let's just hope Seadory's husband barbecues the ribs tonight."

So...This evening I'm going to have BBQ along with my coke and peanuts.

I'm practically a Mississippian already.

Old 11-12-2013, 04:02 PM

10,060 posts, read 12,810,783 times
There is one characteristic of Mississippi that I think differentiates it from California. In Mississippi, there isn't much difference in politics and culture between its rural and urban areas. In California, the difference is much greater.

Old 11-12-2013, 08:43 PM

799 posts, read 1,065,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouldy Old Schmo View Post
There is one characteristic of Mississippi that I think differentiates it from California. In Mississippi, there isn't much difference in politics and culture between its rural and urban areas. In California, the difference is much greater.
I agree with you. Same with NYC and the rest of New York state

Old 11-13-2013, 11:29 AM

3,045 posts, read 5,244,282 times
[lecture]
BBQ can be an adjective, a verb, or a noun. Most commonly it is used as an adjective and refers to a style of seasoning that can be applied to any form of cooking anything. For example, BBQ flavored potato chips. But it usually refers to meat. The seasoning and type of meat used varies greatly depending on the part of the country. BBQ can also be used as a verb to refer to the act of cooking the meat as well as the final product. Some people refer to the object used to cook outside as a "BBQ" or "BBQ Grill", but those people are wrong. Especially the ones who use gas instead of charcoal or wood (heathens ).

Some people insist that BBQ (verb) only means cooking meat over low heat for an extended time, but that is technically "smoking" the meat. You may apply BBQ seasoning to meat that is smoked, grilled, baked, fried, or anything else and still call the final product "BBQ". Conversely meat may be smoked without applying BBQ seasoning at all.

In Mississippi, saying "I want some BBQ (noun)" generally refers to pulled pork, probably on a hamburger bun, sometimes with a layer of mayonnaise based coleslaw. The meat is made by cooking large pieces of unseasoned hog (whole hog, half, or maybe just a shoulder or ham) in a smoker or oven for an extended period over low heat, then separating (pulling & cutting) the cooked meat into small chunks. The BBQ seasoning may be applied to the meat in the pan and allowed to sit to meld the flavors, it may be smoked more after seasoning ("twice cooked"), or the meat may be placed on the bun dry with BBQ sauce applied directly. Anything other than pulled pork is usually referred to by name using BBQ as an adjective or verb, such as "BBQ Chicken" or "Barbequed Chicken". But if you see "BBQ" as an item on a menu, it means pulled pork.
[/lecture]

Last edited by An Einnseanair; 11-13-2013 at 11:40 AM..

Old 11-13-2013, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouldy Old Schmo View Post
Very true. When people speak of the diversity here in California they aren't just referring to race and ethnicity. The San Joaquin Valley in Central California is a cornucopia of political and religious diversity. If I'm not mistaken, Bakersfield, CA is the home of the home of Buck Owens. It's hard to imagine that the Joaquin Valley is even in the same state as Oakland, SAn Francisco, or Los Angeles.

Last edited by Seadory; 11-13-2013 at 11:44 AM.. Reason: spelling/punctuation

Old 11-13-2013, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwkilgore View Post
[lecture]
BBQ can be an adjective, a verb, or a noun. Most commonly it is used as an adjective and refers to a style of seasoning that can be applied to any form of cooking anything. For example, BBQ flavored potato chips. But it usually refers to meat. The seasoning and type of meat used varies greatly depending on the part of the country. BBQ can also be used as a verb to refer to the act of cooking the meat as well as the final product. Some people refer to the object used to cook outside as a "BBQ" or "BBQ Grill", but those people are wrong. Especially the ones who use gas instead of charcoal or wood (heathens ).

Some people insist that BBQ (verb) only means cooking meat over low heat for an extended time, but that is technically "smoking" the meat. You may apply BBQ seasoning to meat that is smoked, grilled, baked, fried, or anything else and still call the final product "BBQ". Conversely meat may be smoked without applying BBQ seasoning at all.

In Mississippi, saying "I want some BBQ (noun)" generally refers to pulled pork, probably on a hamburger bun, sometimes with a layer of mayonnaise based coleslaw. The meat is made by cooking large pieces of unseasoned hog (whole hog, half, or maybe just a shoulder or ham) in a smoker or oven for an extended period over low heat, then separating (pulling & cutting) the cooked meat into small chunks. The BBQ seasoning may be applied to the meat in the pan and allowed to sit to meld the flavors, it may be smoked more after seasoning ("twice cooked"), or the meat may be placed on the bun dry with BBQ sauce applied directly. Anything other than pulled pork is usually referred to by name using BBQ as an adjective or verb, such as "BBQ Chicken" or "Barbequed Chicken". But if you see "BBQ" as an item on a menu, it means pulled pork.
[/lecture]
Nice post. Although I don't typically enjoy eating beef, (not an ethical choice. Just don't like the taste), this post on BBQ made me drool. I must admit that I love pulled pork and ribs cooked in the manner you described above.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi