Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-11-2013, 02:52 PM

14 posts, read 20,947 times

Advertisements

Well, ive read a few threads about relocation to MS on here but I still have a few questions.

Background: Grew up between Athens, GA and Clemson, SC, two college towns. Athens still being MUCH larger than Oxford. Moved to metro Atlanta for school and have lived in various areas of the metro area since 2007. Graduated with a BS in Engineering a few years ago and went to work, started MS program recently.

Well, I am unhappy with the tutelage opportunity i have at my current company so I have started to reach out to recruiters. One particular recruiter really wants me to take a position in Grenada, MS.

I am a weird sort of person so im not sure I could feel comfortable in the area. I date women of all races, and MS seems to be essentially split between Caucasian and black; will I ever be exposed to significant populations of anyone else? I like to be outdoors but I could care a flying flip about fishing or hunting, id rather be sailing, hiking or golfing; will i be disappointed? Im a libertarian and agnostic as well!! Stay out of my life and my wallet.

With a median HOUSEHOLD income of under $26k i would be making close to 3x what everyone else would; am I going to stand out and be admonished based on my young age? (coming from a city with a median household of $96k) Speaking of age, what type of community is there for young professionals like myself? I would obviously be working in Grenada but would be willing to live in surrounding areas within a reasonable distance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2013, 10:00 PM

1,098 posts, read 3,110,528 times
Are you serious? Grenada is okay but it's a typical small town in the USA, meaning some nice neighborhoods and a highway strip with Wal-Mart, Wendy's, Kroger, etc.

Grenada does have a huge lake and a pretty golf course overlooking the lake. And it does have some areas around town with home lots up on steep wooded ridges if you want a house with a deck in the back looking down into a lush wooded hillside and ravine, etc. At the same time it has its share of mobile homes etc. You won't be admonished for driving a nice car etc....there is definitely money there as evidenced by the big homes on wooded lots (doctors, lawyers, accountants, business owners, manufacturing). Bottom line is if you go for the job and can entertain yourself, go for it. But if you're counting on a cohort of libertarian sailors and hikers, I don't see it.

Oxford is a different story, but I think you said Grenada, right?

Old 12-12-2013, 06:25 AM

1,289 posts, read 1,895,429 times
Oxford dude, Grenada is the "anti" of what you are looking for. $75K a year is not going put you anywhere near the upper class in Grenada or any other city. That $26K figure includes the large class of people who either live off governmental benefits and/or "work under the table," those people will probably not be in your circles. Of the gainfully employed in Grenada, $75k would probably put you slightly too moderately above average. A nice income, but you will not be considered anything special.

Old 12-12-2013, 06:50 AM

452 posts, read 898,543 times
Several things come to mind in your information. Are you going to still pursue your MS? If yes, Oxford would be a city to check into. If you are going to pursue online then live in Grenada and live off of the low cost of living and visit Oxford and other places on the weekend when you have free time.

In any small town MS or throughout the country you will not have a high diversity ratio but there is diversity in Grenada. Ethnic origin is small, however, it is not going to have a high majority of population but there are some. This should not make a difference since once you get there you will be welcomed as long as you want to be welcomed. You will find that people will know you and when you do date you really cannot date around if you become serious with a certain person. This is a small town and word does get around as in any USA small town. Good Luck!

Old 12-12-2013, 09:10 AM

25,578 posts, read 17,293,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by viverlibre View Post
Oxford dude, Grenada is the "anti" of what you are looking for. $75K a year is not going put you anywhere near the upper class in Grenada or any other city. That $26K figure includes the large class of people who either live off governmental benefits and/or "work under the table," those people will probably not be in your circles. Of the gainfully employed in Grenada, $75k would probably put you slightly too moderately above average. A nice income, but you will not be considered anything special.
Yeah. Viver has it right. A good truck driver makes 65K.

The rest of the OP's hit list are not out of the ordinary. Yes, we all see mixed race couples; no, no one says anything about it; there are plenty of agnostics around; fuhball is believed to be the sport of kings, but those of us who know better just find something else to talk about; sailing can be good, but it's awfully hot on the lakes during the summer; hiking is extraordinarily good; golfers find plenty of activity.

In other words, the OP needs to understand that most of us around here are average - just like him.

Old 12-12-2013, 12:11 PM

1,289 posts, read 1,895,429 times
Listener2307, I have to challenge this statement, "hiking is extraordinarily good."

In my opinion, hiking is extraordinarily bad, not just in Grenada, but in most of the state (other the northeast corner). No high peaks or deep valleys, no rocky outcrops, no hidden waterfalls or cliffs, not white water rivers or creeks (muddy water in most every river, lake and pond). Add to that many poisonous snakes, unbearable heat, ticks and chiggers, gators around every decent sized body of water and mosquitos everywhere!

Old 12-12-2013, 03:27 PM

25,578 posts, read 17,293,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by viverlibre View Post
Listener2307, I have to challenge this statement, "hiking is extraordinarily good."

In my opinion, hiking is extraordinarily bad, not just in Grenada, but in most of the state (other the northeast corner). No high peaks or deep valleys, no rocky outcrops, no hidden waterfalls or cliffs, not white water rivers or creeks (muddy water in most every river, lake and pond). Add to that many poisonous snakes, unbearable heat, ticks and chiggers, gators around every decent sized body of water and mosquitos everywhere!
Heh, heh..I guess we could talk about the ingredients of a good hike.

The Appalachians, we ain't. But as a kid I think I explored up and down every creek I ever saw. I still look at creeks and rivers and wonder what it would be like "up there" as it disappears around the bend.
I will agree that hiking in Granada is pretty non-existent. But there are decent lakes and hiking trails within a day's drive.

Old 12-14-2013, 11:27 AM

2,502 posts, read 4,438,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ck.mecha View Post
Well, ive read a few threads about relocation to MS on here but I still have a few questions.

I am a weird sort of person so im not sure I could feel comfortable in the area. I date women of all races, and MS seems to be essentially split between Caucasian and black; will I ever be exposed to significant populations of anyone else? I like to be outdoors but I could care a flying flip about fishing or hunting, id rather be sailing, hiking or golfing; will i be disappointed? Im a libertarian and agnostic as well!! Stay out of my life and my wallet.

With a median HOUSEHOLD income of under $26k i would be making close to 3x what everyone else would; am I going to stand out and be admonished based on my young age? (coming from a city with a median household of $96k) Speaking of age, what type of community is there for young professionals like myself? I would obviously be working in Grenada but would be willing to live in surrounding areas within a reasonable distance.
Working in Grenada, you could live in Oxford. If you LOVE to drive you could live in Southaven (Memphis suburbs in MS) or even Madison.

Living in Grenada is not an option for a single young person who was not born there. I can't imagine how you would ever begin to meet people if you lived in Grenada, because everyone there will have known everyone else since birth, except for you. You will always be an outsider. If you do ever meet a girl to date, you will quickly find out that the guys will be angry with you for dating one of "their" girls.

You want to live somewhere that is used to having people from all over. Not some insular little town. Young people live in the Jackson area, or in the Memphis area.

If you live in Jackson area or Memphis area, you might stumble across an occasional Asian or (East) Indian girl. But the state is dominated by Whites and Blacks. If you move to a place like Madison and decide to hang out with the "old money" Whites, then you can forget dating anything other than White girls, for they won't allow anything else into their circles.

You can sail on the reservoir, and golf all over, and the golf is cheap. You won't be disappointed. No comment on the hiking.

As others said, your salary is nothing special, not even in Mississippi. Just wait until you get your first car registration bill.

Old 12-14-2013, 12:52 PM

14 posts, read 20,947 times
Had a long post written, then it crashed. Oh well.

Kind of what I was expecting to hear. Could you realistically drive from Memphis everyday? Google tells me its a little further than I would like. How are the southern suburbs of Memphis along 55?

Old 12-14-2013, 05:40 PM

2,502 posts, read 4,438,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ck.mecha View Post
Kind of what I was expecting to hear. Could you realistically drive from Memphis everyday? Google tells me its a little further than I would like. How are the southern suburbs of Memphis along 55?
Probably not from Memphis proper, but the southern suburbs in MS, it's feasible. I've heard good things about Southaven and Olive Branch. Many people who work in Memphis live in northern MS to avoid the Memphis schools. Don't know about how they are for singles, but you would have Memphis right there. Grenada is a long distance, but there shouldn't be any traffic. Get a small, fuel-efficient car, with XM radio.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi