Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2010, 06:05 PM

4 posts, read 22,849 times

Advertisements

I need some information: My husband is being relocated to MS from Texas thank God. We are transplant from Katrina via Jefferson Parish around New Orleans, LA and have been living in Texas. Well, God has answered my prayers to leave TEXAS. If you lived here you will understand. Anyway, We have a choice to live in North Mississippi from Jackson to the Memphis, TN. We are told Grenada is in the middle but looking around online we are liking Water Valley or Oxford, MS. Oxford is a college town and since we are now empty nesters we are unsure. Any thoughts, suggestion, etc... We are also looking to rent a home in any of the communities and need help in this area. Thank you for all your help.

Barbara

Last edited by barbara545; 04-26-2010 at 06:06 PM.. Reason: miss spelled word
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2010, 10:02 AM

506 posts, read 1,474,987 times
The only reason I'd really recommend Grenada over all the others is that it is right off Interstate 55, whereas Water Valley & Oxford are a small commute from I-55 (Oxford is around 25 minutes, Water Valley is probably slightly less). From Grenada, on I-55, Memphis is just under an hour & a half. Grenada to New Orleans is about 4.5 hours.

With all that being said, I firmly believe Oxford to be the better town. Since it is home to a major university, it is home to fine dining, arts, music events, etc. if that is more important than having the convenience of being by an interstate. It is a little more expensive but if you are comfortable with living outside of town in the county, it is still relatively cheap.

Old 04-27-2010, 10:36 AM

2,917 posts, read 4,765,828 times
I'd take Water Valley before Oxford, simply due to the COL. Besides, it's only a hop, skip, and a jump to Oxford, or even Grenada. I've lived in Oxford, albeit many years ago, and WV is just more laid back, but still accessible to larger communities, fine dining, college athletics, and lots of good hunting or fishing. I'm curious, though, what's wrong with Texas? Have fun!

Old 04-28-2010, 04:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delta Planter View Post
I'm curious, though, what's wrong with Texas? Have fun!
Well, where can I start about Texas. They are unfriendly and rude. I love the country area I am in and the house I live in. They think they are southern and they are not. They really looked down on and discriminate against people from Katrina (just side bar I am not black, but that should not make a difference even if I was) and Louisiana in general. Not eveyone that came from the New Orleans area are bad people, white or black they are good, hard working people. Living in New Orleans all my life except for this 4.5 years I am truly a southern girl with the New Orleans influence. My daddy is from Alexandria, LA and my mom is from Georgia. I know how to cook cajun/creola to southern/soul food. I am very proud of my southern heritage. I don't like cowboys and indians and no cultural. I like enterntaining and showing hospitality to people. I generally love people but in Texas (the DFW area) they are just not friendly. So, with all that said I am looking forward to coming to MS.

Thank you for all for your help about the area.

Barbara

Old 04-28-2010, 06:08 PM

783 posts, read 2,257,484 times
Pretty much mirrors my experiences in Houston three decades ago during the boom of the 80's. Texans despised "yankees" and many would actively harrass those they knew to be from out of state. One night while watching a movie at the mall someone knifed the sidewalls of all four of the tires on my car.

Not only were the people rude and unwelcoming, I saw absolutely nothing there of "beauty" that might offset the downside. The ground is flat and largely barren and nothing is "extreme" enough to be unique.

Ever since the my thoughts about Texas pretty much can be surmised by a line attributed to Lee Harvey Oswald: "If I was gonna give this country an enema, Texas is where I'd stick the nozzle."

Old 05-02-2010, 12:47 PM

1,183 posts, read 2,889,833 times
It depends on what you are looking for, Barbara.

We liked living in Oxford. If you live out in Lafayette County, the college kids and the traffic really won't affect you at all expect maybe on big game days. And even then, as long as you aren't driving into town, it's not a big deal.

Oxford has some neat restaurants and fun little shops on the square. Ole Miss is a beautiful campus. We loved spending time at The Grove. There is always a lot going on...theatre, music, arts, festivals, sports ...... We moved away from Oxford several years ago, but still have a child at Ole Miss, so we go back often. Honestly, it's the only place in Mississippi I would consider living. But I like all the cultural opportunities available at the University.

The downside..Housing in Oxford is expensive compared to the rest of Mississippi. It's still low compared to the rest of the country. You can get good prices on homes in Lafayette County just outside of Oxford. Also, there is no mall, and I really missed that. You'll have to go to Tupelo or Memphis if really want to shop. But other than that, Oxford is great!

There isn't much in Grenada or Water Valley, but they are both nice areas. I have good friends in both of those towns. They really like it. Again, it just depends on our lifestyle.

Good luck!

Old 05-08-2010, 01:44 AM

I will like to thank everyone for replying and the comments were really great. We did get the news today that we are being relocated to Mississippi. We did get to go visit the area the last weekend in April/beginning of May. It is a gorgeous area and we fell in love with it. We did find a house to rent it is in Water Valley for $1000 a month with 7 acres. The house has a small kitchen and colors are horrid. We were told we could repaint the house. I am willing to do some work. Is this to much for rent in this area?
We can live any where between Grenada and Oxford. It was suggested not to go pass Oxford but Water Valley was a good medium place. Thanx again for all your input.
Barbara

Old 05-28-2010, 01:22 PM

30 posts, read 159,207 times
I'm considering a potential "dream" job in Cleveland, MS, but I am definitely someone who does not like rural living, and I thrive on lots of culture and diversity, probably because I was born and raised in New Orleans. Since I know I won't want to live in Cleveland, MS, I'm thinking of commuting from either Memphis or Oxford (both are apparently 90 minutes away from Cleveland). Can anyone provide any advice about either/both? I realize Oxford is a great deal smaller, but it seems to have a thriving arts scene, and I like Baton Rouge (which I've heard is very similar to Oxford). Also, I have a bit of a tornado phobia, so please let me know if I need to factor this into my decision.

Thanks in advance,

Chris

Old 06-03-2010, 06:46 PM

Chris,

Because I am a fellow New Orleanian and have lived in the country since Katrina you may like Memphis better. I have not visited Memphis yet but I do understand it is much bigger that Oxford and has more going on in the city than Oxford. But if you like small town and I mean small, they only have about 16000 to 20000 people in the town then Oxford could be for you. I actually love the square it reminds me of the part of quarter that locals go to or maybe more like Magazine Street area. It could also be reminisces of old Metairie also. The modern side of Oxford is just that modern. If you like big city then Memphis, if you like a smaller city with old and new charm then Oxford. I will say if you are a LSU fan you will be ragged on since Ole Miss owns Oxford.

Barbara

Old 07-14-2010, 02:49 PM

1 posts, read 5,191 times
I retired to Oxford three years ago and built a house out in the county and love it! Taxes are fairly low and the housing is abundant and nice. My neighbors are great. I considered Water Valley, but changed my mind because it is too " rural - red-necked" for me. If you like culture, sports, etc. you will like Oxford and you will be very safe. Keep us all posted.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi