Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-16-2016, 03:04 AM

1 posts, read 718 times

Advertisements

I'll try to hold as many unnecessary details as possible, but I am a sales associate set to work from roughly 8-5. I have the option to continue working till 9 and would prefer too (for overtime,) however, there is a particular assistant manager who will close on some days throughout the week. This person completely changes their demeanor once the managers have left. They have made it clear that their motto is "you don't have to like me to obey me." My question is, can I leave on the day's that they close, or even better can I work until 7 (to get a few extra hours in,) and clock out without this negatively effecting me? Thank you in advance for any responses.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2016, 09:55 AM

1,112 posts, read 2,589,652 times
I will assume that you are in Mississippi since you are posting in the Mississippi forum. If so, Mississippi follows the 'Employment at Will' doctrine. This means you can be fired for any reason except race, religion, sex, age, national origin, disability, or for engaging in union activities, unless you have a written contract or agreement. If you feel that you have been fired for unjust reasons, you can contact the Equal Employment Opportunity Commision or National Labor Relations Board for assistance.

This sounds like a manager on a power trip. I would normally suggest having a calm discussion with the him or her to see if you can work out your differences, but he or she may not be receptive. You may want to have that discussion with his or her boss and let them know you are a team player and you are dedicated to the success of the business, however, the behavior of your assistant manager is causing tension. If the managers are truly supportive of a successful, inclusive team you should get help. That's for you to decide if they would listen, or automatically side with the assistant manager. Good luck.

Old 12-16-2016, 09:59 AM

1,112 posts, read 2,589,652 times
https://www.msbar.org/for-the-public...al-firing.aspx

Old 12-29-2016, 09:49 AM

141 posts, read 172,405 times
Workers are a dime a dozen in MS. Unless other employees are also willing to come forward and complain, the manager most likely will not be favorable towards you. I'd suggest trying to be friends with the ass. manager or toughing it out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi
View detailed profiles of: