Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2017, 08:11 AM

25,579 posts, read 17,298,699 times

Advertisements

The rub is, is the flag on government property?

There are 327 spots for bricks in this memorial, and each one may be purchased for $50. The memorial project was spearheaded by the mayor.

There was a $46,000 grant used also.

So. IS it "government property" as everyone keeps saying? Doesn't seem to be. Seems to be private property, next to town hall.
Daily Corinthian - New memorial garden key to Rienzi
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2017, 10:59 AM

10,060 posts, read 12,815,512 times
I think every church in Rienzi should purchase a flagpole so they can fly the flag. That will show the Freedom from Religion Foundation.

Old 02-14-2017, 04:24 PM

1,209 posts, read 1,427,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouldy Old Schmo View Post
I think every church in Rienzi should purchase a flagpole so they can fly the flag. That will show the Freedom from Religion Foundation.
Show them what? That people can fly whatever flag they want on private property? Pay my mortgage and you can fly a Christian flag on my front lawn. I'll even set up the pole for you.

Let's say I drive up there, pull the flag down and burn it. What sort of crimes would I charged with?

Trespassing? Public park, but could be conceivable.

Destruction of property? Whose property? Government property?

Arson? Because flames?

Point is moot though, because I wouldn't do such a thing, but I'm sure you would cheer me on if I made it up to Hamtramck, MI and cut the wires to their prayer-calling loud speakers.

Quote:
Lister2307
The rub is, is the flag on government property?

There are 327 spots for bricks in this memorial, and each one may be purchased for $50. The memorial project was spearheaded by the mayor.

There was a $46,000 grant used also.

So. IS it "government property" as everyone keeps saying? Doesn't seem to be. Seems to be private property, next to town hall.
Daily Corinthian - New memorial garden key to Rienzi
Think of it as a 'brick tax' in the same way you have to pay extra for a specialty license plate.

Old 02-27-2017, 09:52 AM

143 posts, read 158,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by David A Stone View Post
When a state borders Canada, I would call it the " north "
Wisconsin doesn't border Canada....

Old 03-02-2017, 08:15 PM

1,354 posts, read 4,090,987 times
Is this about a Christian flag or being told what to do by Wisconsin? Fly the flag on every church if it makes you happy and every house for that matter. But respect the principle of separation of church and state and keep off the government flagpole. Is that too much to ask? A secular government keeps all beliefs protected including, gasp, agnostics and nontheists. Have you heard the old expression, " It is the principle that is important".

Old 03-03-2017, 09:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tama View Post
Is this about a Christian flag or being told what to do by Wisconsin? Fly the flag on every church if it makes you happy and every house for that matter. But respect the principle of separation of church and state and keep off the government flagpole. Is that too much to ask? A secular government keeps all beliefs protected including, gasp, agnostics and nontheists. Have you heard the old expression, " It is the principle that is important".
It's not a government flagpole.

Old 03-03-2017, 05:40 PM

560 posts, read 787,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouldy Old Schmo View Post
Yes. I agree that it will show them that the people of Rienzi are united in their Christian principles. Flying the Christian Flag would be a fine way to show religious solidarity.

I wonder, since the Veterans Cemetery is on Federal property why aren't religious symbols prohibited on the grave markers? Is it only a matter of time before a group like Americans United For Separation Of Church And State take action? Is it because the military ensures that all faiths are represented on the grave markers?

My husband's marker and my brother-in-law's markers both have crosses on them. It's not likely, but if the courts decided, "Oops! Have to remove those symbols! Government property you know!" I would be upset because it mattered to my husband.

There is a very old Catholic cemetery in Long Beach that only allows Catholics. (I'm only 90% sure.) Then, next to the Catholic cemetery there is one built on the City of Long Beach property. The one on government property is a mixed bag of religious symbols.

Old 03-03-2017, 10:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seadory View Post
Yes. I agree that it will show them that the people of Rienzi are united in their Christian principles. Flying the Christian Flag would be a fine way to show religious solidarity.

I wonder, since the Veterans Cemetery is on Federal property why aren't religious symbols prohibited on the grave markers? Is it only a matter of time before a group like Americans United For Separation Of Church And State take action? Is it because the military ensures that all faiths are represented on the grave markers?

My husband's marker and my brother-in-law's markers both have crosses on them. It's not likely, but if the courts decided, "Oops! Have to remove those symbols! Government property you know!" I would be upset because it mattered to my husband.

There is a very old Catholic cemetery in Long Beach that only allows Catholics. (I'm only 90% sure.) Then, next to the Catholic cemetery there is one built on the City of Long Beach property. The one on government property is a mixed bag of religious symbols.
Good questions; good observations

Religious symbols are allowed on government issued headstones, like the ones in Arlington National Cemetery. Government property. Government maintained. And 60 different religious symbols are authorized.

There is no one interred in Veterans Memorial Park, Rienzi. It is only a memorial and was paid for by citizens who each bought an engraved brick.

Old 03-04-2017, 04:32 AM

1,209 posts, read 1,427,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Listener2307 View Post
Good questions; good observations

Religious symbols are allowed on government issued headstones, like the ones in Arlington National Cemetery. Government property. Government maintained. And 60 different religious symbols are authorized.

There is no one interred in Veterans Memorial Park, Rienzi. It is only a memorial and was paid for by citizens who each bought an engraved brick.
Where did the grant come from?

Old 03-04-2017, 08:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brucifer View Post
Where did the grant come from?
Federal government, I suppose. Maybe state, though.

You may not know that faith based organizations get grants all the time.
Faith-based | Foundations | Funding Resources | Knowledge Base | Tools | GrantSpace
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi