Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2018, 08:02 AM

2,660 posts, read 2,102,720 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by viverlibre View Post
Isn't that the way the world works! White, Hispanic or Asian guys could have delivered the beat down too.

Up into the 80s, society did a decent job a policing itself, do something stupid, people would call you out. Family, friends and community kept their own inline, someone should have told him, "idiot, don't wear that in public."

The real victims here are his family (if he has one), he just gave up a $60k or $70k job and will never work in a professional job in the south (or likely anywhere else) again.

He will find any job in the South ( or anywhere else). It's not the end of the road for him.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2018, 11:46 AM

2,502 posts, read 4,438,247 times
Quote:
I'm against violence and for everyone's right to express themselves (within reason), but a part of me wishes a couple of big black guys had caught him outside and delivered a beatdown (with no serious injuries though).
I'd feel better about a changing Mississippi if a couple of big white guys administered the beating.

Old 11-13-2018, 10:51 AM

7,733 posts, read 6,465,877 times
Welp, thats where Mississippi's wonderful reputation comes from. Gentlemen like him.

Old 11-13-2018, 12:48 PM

25,578 posts, read 17,293,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BadgerFilms View Post
Welp, thats where Mississippi's wonderful reputation comes from. Gentlemen like him.
Mississippi has the reputation, while Minnesota has the facts. It's racism is ranked #2, after Wisconsin.

https://blogs.mprnews.org/newscut/20...al-inequality/
Quote:
This shouldn’t be a shock to anyone paying attention, but Minnesota has serious racial inequality issues.

Mississippi recognizes the problem and racist people often pay the price. That's evidently not true in the states mention in the MPR report. The article cites other states:
Quote:
The only state doing worse than us: Wisconsin. Rounding out the top five were Iowa, South Dakota and Illinois.

We are now ready for your next stone.

Old 11-13-2018, 12:58 PM

2,260 posts, read 1,138,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwashington View Post
He's an employee at a hospital.... where did you get he is a public official? Just having a job now makes you a public official?
The article said his neighbor said he used to be a cop, so technically he used to be a public official.

Old 11-13-2018, 03:55 PM

10,261 posts, read 21,758,251 times
Doesn’t this guy have a union to stick up for him, to fight for the notion that being a jerk on his own time shouldn’t affect his employment?

Old 11-13-2018, 08:38 PM

1,289 posts, read 1,895,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishtom29 View Post
Doesn’t this guy have a union to stick up for him, to fight for the notion that being a jerk on his own time shouldn’t affect his employment?
This is the south, outside of Federal Employees, IBEW and huge national companies like UPS, there are few unions. Auto plants here are not even unionized.

It is possible it went down like this, the former employer gave him a severance package (3 months of income, 6 months of health insurance, etc) in exchange for signing something where he gives up his right to sue for wrongful termination and he agrees not to talk about his former employer.

Even if they fired without any type of agreement, he would likely not get much traction trying to sue, no attorney would take that on contingency. He likely had some type of "character" or "conduct clause" in his employment agreement.

Old 11-14-2018, 08:36 PM

9,694 posts, read 7,394,892 times
i might not agree with that shirt, but i why fight to the death to give him the right to wear that ugly shirt.

Old 11-19-2018, 06:18 AM
Status: "Moldy Tater Gangrene, even before Moscow Marge." (set 3 days ago)

5,790 posts, read 3,600,682 times
I would say good for the hospital for firing him but, isn't that what any half-way sensible place of employment would already do? I sure as hell wouldn't keep someone like that in any job where they have to interact with other people (and even then, I'm being generous).

On the broader issue of reactions - I noticed a lot of people will say "He's a good guy, but he just gets into trouble a lot". Uh, no. If he gets into trouble a lot, then he's not a good guy. Just because someone never did anything to me or my family or friends doesn't mean he's a good guy. I live by "Anybody who's nice to you and mean to others is not a nice person". I'm a firm believer in that - and TBH, it saved me a few times from getting badly burned.

Old 11-30-2018, 10:49 AM

791 posts, read 369,187 times
Quote:
I'm against violence and for everyone's right to express themselves (within reason), but a part of me wishes a couple of big black guys had caught him outside and delivered a beatdown (with no serious injuries though).
"I'm against violence...except when I'm for it"

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi