Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-27-2019, 06:47 AM

2 posts, read 1,565 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are retiring to MS next year. We are going to visit many manufactured home communities in June and are wondering about recommendations. We will be visiting Meridian, Hattiesburg, Ridgeland, Richmond, Pearl and Brandon and are wondering about suggestions and safety. We were hoping for an over 55 manufactured home community but can't seem to find any in MS. Would love to hear some suggestions and information about these communities and any other that we could visit.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2019, 01:38 PM

1,289 posts, read 1,893,917 times
In many states, especially Florida, nice mobile home communities for retirees do exist, but in MS most mobile homes communities are not nice. They are low-income housing, many times with a majority of residents being immigrants. So be wary. Good luck!

Let us know your budget and we can probably be of more help.

Old 04-27-2019, 04:05 PM

9,530 posts, read 16,515,499 times
Be careful with Mobile Home Communities. Including Florida. Many of them as parks age, become low income Housing. Is it all of them No it isn't. It is a number of them, especially if it was not a higher income community to begin with.

I don't know how other states are, probably similar. Florida 20% of residents do not have to be 55 to live in the park. Believe me many of these residents leave a lot to be desired. There is nothing the actual 55 homeowner can do about it. Its the law. I'm surrounded by several and I'm fed up I have to deal with this at age 69.
There property is unkempt. There is constant young visitors. Cars all over the street. Loud music. If you complain. Well they might damage the complainers property. If a park doesn't have a stable efficient management. Then living in these parks can be miserable.

Do research and visit several times before moving into one. I know I am going to try and sell mine again. I don't want to live in these type communities any longer or again. Perhaps if I could afford parks with close to a $1000 lot rent. That a better Clientelle would live there. Thats the other thing. Look for communities where you own the land. Otherwise these type places are really trailer parks. With lot rents that are high and keep going up.

Old 04-27-2019, 08:36 PM

12,971 posts, read 9,495,132 times
It's possible that the OP means regular houses that are pre-built in a factory, then assembled on site (instead of "house trailers"). I don't know if there are any communties like that in Mississippi or any other place, but it's a thought.

Since Mississippi is a very tornado-prone state, I'd think twice about living in a trailer community unless it was absolutely necessary.

Old 04-29-2019, 07:19 AM

1,717 posts, read 1,986,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RocketDawg View Post
It's possible that the OP means regular houses that are pre-built in a factory, then assembled on site (instead of "house trailers"). I don't know if there are any communties like that in Mississippi or any other place, but it's a thought.

Since Mississippi is a very tornado-prone state, I'd think twice about living in a trailer community unless it was absolutely necessary.
Haha that was going to be my comment. Trailors, Mississippi and tornadoes don't mix.

To the OP, if you are dead set on it, live near the coast. That will be the 'safest' area, as far as tornadoes and the people. You might find something decent up around Pickwick Lake I guess.

Old 04-30-2019, 01:19 PM

1,262 posts, read 1,301,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RocketDawg View Post

This post consists entirely of mis-information. "Regular" homes are not built in a factory. Homes built in a factory and assembled on site are called modular homes. Homes entirely built in a factory are called manufactured homes. Formerly known as mobile homes, but have about as much in common with older mobile homes as a model T has with a mustang.

Today's modern manufactured homes are built specifically for the region they are going to be placed in. Homes to be located in tornado or hurricane prone areas are built to standards to accommodate the potential likely wind shear, just as manufactured homes built in states with snow have 2x6 studs to handle the snow loads. Today's manufactured homes are not at all like your grandma's trailer.

Old 04-30-2019, 01:33 PM

1,717 posts, read 1,986,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beaconowner View Post
This post consists entirely of mis-information. "Regular" homes are not built in a factory. Homes built in a factory and assembled on site are called modular homes. Homes entirely built in a factory are called manufactured homes. Formerly known as mobile homes, but have about as much in common with older mobile homes as a model T has with a mustang.

Today's modern manufactured homes are built specifically for the region they are going to be placed in. Homes to be located in tornado or hurricane prone areas are built to standards to accommodate the potential likely wind shear, just as manufactured homes built in states with snow have 2x6 studs to handle the snow loads. Today's manufactured homes are not at all like your grandma's trailer.
That's all well and good, but falsely assuring someone that a modular home would stand up to a tornado is borderline criminal as well.

Old 05-06-2019, 08:24 AM

1,262 posts, read 1,301,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mississippi Alabama Line View Post
That's all well and good, but falsely assuring someone that a modular home would stand up to a tornado is borderline criminal as well.
A modular home is built to the same standards as a stick built home, including all local building codes. If the stick built home could withstand that stor,m the modular home could too.

There are video's on YouTube that show modern mobile homes standing up to hurricanes and tornado's, but not a category 4 or 5. Any home would have a problem with winds that strong.

No one is falsely assuring anyone of anything, all based on facts, not your imaginings or outdated remembrances.

Old 07-21-2019, 06:05 PM

2 posts, read 1,565 times
Thank you everyone for your information. We have decided to buy a manufactured home and put it in Brandon, MS. The park is called Country Meadows and has expanded with 77 new lots. We will put our home on one of the new lots. Hoping that this side of the park will be more of a 55+ area of the community. It does have a pool and seems to be in a very nice area. We only spent 3 days there and really didn't get into town so I am hoping when my husband retires at the end of the year we spend some more time before jumping into the community. If anyone knows any info on this community that would be helpful we would appreciate hearing you comments.
Thanks!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi