Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2023, 08:53 AM

18,126 posts, read 11,764,445 times

Advertisements

I enjoy Home Town TV show. Ben and Erin are so extremely talented. Each show that I've watched, I was in awe - very impressed.

Take away greed; I'm amazed at how much they can accomplish with less funds.

Great show!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2023, 12:23 PM

50,388 posts, read 64,050,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2goldens View Post
I enjoy Home Town TV show. Ben and Erin are so extremely talented. Each show that I've watched, I was in awe - very impressed.

Take away greed; I'm amazed at how much they can accomplish with less funds.

Great show!
Have you noticed that even their price tags have gone up? It used to be they could do a remodel for $30k or so, but now it’s creeping closer to $100k

Old 09-15-2023, 03:28 PM

4,065 posts, read 5,649,438 times
I'm going to miss getting new episodes. Unless Ben and Erin change their mind, of course! To quit or not to quit. I can't really blame them if they do.

Old 10-04-2023, 11:11 AM

3,466 posts, read 2,799,359 times
There is a paywalled article in the Wall Street Journal about how “Home Town” has transformed downtown Laurel and raised real estate values. But Laurel’s problems can’t be solved by just those changes. The town has lost about 4,000 people since its peak. And when the series ends, people’s interest in Laurel likely ends, too.

Old 10-04-2023, 11:17 AM

3,466 posts, read 2,799,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnathon Hills View Post
Railfan? You may want to consider Hattiesburg, just down the road. CSX & NS lines cross there.
Actually, the Canadian National, Norfolk Southern, and Canadian Pacific-Kansas City Southern serve Hattiesburg.

Old 12-04-2023, 12:23 PM

4,065 posts, read 5,649,438 times
I'm glad they are coming back for another season. Doing those shows has to be hard work after a while..Ben's Holiday Workshop was on.this morning. I'd rather see a house getting renovated however.

Old 04-26-2024, 08:08 PM

1,088 posts, read 2,660,069 times
I made the trip from Virginia to Laurel just to see it for myself. The good--downtown was nearly 100% occupied with mostly newer stores and a nice uniformity of style. They do a lot with paint and signage. LOTS of tourists. The fringes of downtown are more vacant and rundown. The bad--most of the businesses are for tourists. I saw very few blacks downtown except some guys working. When the show goes away tourism will decline. Locals cant afford or dont need what they sell now. Expensive clothes. Fancy restaurants and gift stores. Enjoy it while you can. The area where 90% of what you see consists of two streets about 10 blocks long. Another two streets are hit or miss. The nice homes are really nice. Little tour vehicles were busy giving tours of the TV show houses. But it goes downhill FAST. The bad area is about 20 times the size and many houses are abandoned or very rundown. Basically shacks. This starts about 4 blocks from the prime area. The far north side of the good streets contains some of the newer ranch style houses on larger lots. They are a mixed bag. There is a main highway commercial area that runs west of the CBD. A lot of new stuff along there including a new Starbucks and lots of name brand fast food etc. Typical anywhere USA but in good shape. Hispanics must be moving in because there are quite a few ma and pa style Mexican restaurants. Probably escapees from the chicken plant in town.
If you enjoy the show it might be a fun day or two. Several decent hotels are close to downtown. It's very easy to get around by car. You can drive most of the town in a couple hours. Cant really get lost.

Old 04-26-2024, 08:52 PM

1,000 posts, read 543,365 times
It's difficult for me to imagine that they ever made a show about Laurel, Ms. Granted, it's been over half a century since I lived there as a young boy at my aunt's house. Her husband Luke worked at the Masonite plant. I do remember the town though. Small, sorta redneck w/o being overly redneck, just a plain old, poor town in Mississippi. My aunt grew stuff in her back yard. Glad to hear there's some Mexican food, there was none back in the day. There was not much of anything back in the day. Hopefully it's a nicer town than Hattiesburg. I thought about moving to Hattiesburg once and wow, that was not for me. It felt more like lower Alabama in the George Wallace days, which was strange, what w/ Southern University being there.

Of course, a TV show has nothing to do w/ reality. It's entirely made up stuff that is edited to show what they want to show. I ended up on the Ms Gulf Coast, which was like a different planet compared to the rest of the state. One thing about Mississippi though. The people. You will not find people like them anywhere else. Like the old story goes, you will meet some of the best people on earth there and some of the worst. But the best far out number the bad ones. I guess we just had nothing else, and even on the Coast everyone knew everyone else, and had relatives all over the place. We took care of our own and its still like that. We had people from all over the world living on the Gulf Coast due to the war in Vietnam, the huge Air Force base, neighbors commuting over to Pascagoula to work at the shipyards. Mississippi isn't a place, its a particular state of mind w/ strong Southern values.

Old 04-27-2024, 08:26 AM

27,231 posts, read 44,008,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by badger74 View Post
I made the trip from Virginia to Laurel just to see it for myself. The good--downtown was nearly 100% occupied with mostly newer stores and a nice uniformity of style. They do a lot with paint and signage. LOTS of tourists. The fringes of downtown are more vacant and rundown. The bad--most of the businesses are for tourists. I saw very few blacks downtown except some guys working. When the show goes away tourism will decline. Locals cant afford or dont need what they sell now. Expensive clothes. Fancy restaurants and gift stores. Enjoy it while you can. The area where 90% of what you see consists of two streets about 10 blocks long. Another two streets are hit or miss. The nice homes are really nice. Little tour vehicles were busy giving tours of the TV show houses. But it goes downhill FAST. The bad area is about 20 times the size and many houses are abandoned or very rundown. Basically shacks. This starts about 4 blocks from the prime area. The far north side of the good streets contains some of the newer ranch style houses on larger lots. They are a mixed bag. There is a main highway commercial area that runs west of the CBD. A lot of new stuff along there including a new Starbucks and lots of name brand fast food etc. Typical anywhere USA but in good shape. Hispanics must be moving in because there are quite a few ma and pa style Mexican restaurants. Probably escapees from the chicken plant in town.
If you enjoy the show it might be a fun day or two. Several decent hotels are close to downtown. It's very easy to get around by car. You can drive most of the town in a couple hours. Cant really get lost.
Despite your undertone of disapproval the fact of the matter remains Laurel is much better for the Napiers efforts and the tv show. Also your descriptive of nicer parts bordering bad/poor parts is reflective of gentrification and urban renewal. The transition period can last a while and in some instances never completely take hold. The takeaway in my opinion is that it happened at all and is a benefit versus a process to mock or belittle as "not enough".

Old 04-27-2024, 06:07 PM

1,088 posts, read 2,660,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
Despite your undertone of disapproval the fact of the matter remains Laurel is much better for the Napiers efforts and the tv show. Also your descriptive of nicer parts bordering bad/poor parts is reflective of gentrification and urban renewal. The transition period can last a while and in some instances never completely take hold. The takeaway in my opinion is that it happened at all and is a benefit versus a process to mock or belittle as "not enough".
There have to be good long-term conditions for gentrification to take hold. I dont think Laurel has enough of those. Growing job sector. Retirement magnet. After the show ends Laurel gradually returns to its condition ex ante. Waco--the other comparable has a major growth anchor in Baylor University. It's somewhat attractive for retirees. https://texashillcountry.com/gaines-...my-waco-texas/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi