Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-27-2021, 08:31 AM

107 posts, read 104,406 times

Advertisements

We want to move closer to family that lives in South La and the Mobile area. 2-3 hours from them is much better than what we have now.
Since we don't want to deal with hurricanes like they do, we are considering the Jackson, Ms Metro area, but not necessarily Jackson.

This will be a huge move and decision. Please help us with the questions below.

I know nothing about the area other than driving thru. We live in Canton, Ga. Love to go to the walking/running parks, trail hiking, occasional kayak float or fishing. A short drive to scenic views would be great, but not a top 5 item.

I've looked on Zillow, but that's a bit confusing. We do have a big yard now (1 acre), and would like a 1/2 acre, but no more than a acre or so to mow. My wife has lots and lots of plants.

We're in our 60's. Mum-in-law is with us, too. Close to hospitals and doctors is essential. That's one reason we are targeting the Jackson Metro area.

Can we get a 2000+ sq ft home for under $250k ?

I'd rather not be right next to my neighbor, but not isolated either. A subdivision with nice sized, spaced lots seems good.
We would like to ride bikes in the neighborhood. Country subdivisions will be considered, but open to suburban and rural communities. .

Where should we look?
What is traffic like in Jackson? Surrounding towns/ communities?

Areas to avoid is probably the most important question.

I really appreciate the input and advice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2021, 09:57 AM

1,289 posts, read 1,890,159 times
From most points in the Jxn Metro, you're at least 3 1/2 hours from Mobile. Check out the Hattiesburg area and you'll cut that time in half.

If you are looking in Jackson, I'd stick with either Rankin or South Madison Counties. Finding a home in that price range may be doable, but it's going to be older and likely need some work. I would look south of Brandon (39042) or Florence/Richland, the homes will be less expensive and you'll be on the Mobile side of town and still only 30 minutes from hospitals/doctor offices. There are walking/jogging trails around the reservoir, but it will be hard to find a house nearby (without needing much repair) in your price house.

Longleaf Trace in Hattiesburg sounds like something you would really like and the medical care in Hattiesburg is probably just as good Jxn, and you have a major university in town.

You may also want to check out the communities around Hurley, you'd be 20/30 miles or so off the Coast (most do not evacuate for Hurricanes that far north), but week long power outages after a big storm are possible. Wiggins is another place I'd look.

Compared to Canton, GA, Central/South Mississippi isn't going offer near as much in the way of scenery/outdoor recreation (unless the ocean is your thing). Check back in with us on specific areas and we can give more detailed advice.

Last edited by viverlibre; 11-27-2021 at 10:42 AM..

Old 11-27-2021, 10:49 AM

Default Moving to Ms

Quote:
Originally Posted by viverlibre View Post
From most points in the Jxn Metro, you're at least 3 1/2 hours from Mobile. Check out the Hattiesburg area and you'll cut that time in half.

If you are looking in Jackson, I'd stick with either Rankin or South Madison Counties. Finding a home in that price range may be doable, but it's going to be older and likely need some work. I would look south of Brandon (39042) or Florence/Richland, the homes will be less expensive and you'll be on the Mobile side of town and still only 30 minutes from hospitals/doctor offices. There are walking/jogging trails around the reservoir, but it will be hard to find a house nearby (without needing much repair) in your price house.

Longleaf Trace in Hattiesburg sounds like something you would really like and the medical care in Hattiesburg is probably just as good Jxn, and you have a major university in town.

You may also want to check out the communities around Hurley, you'd be 20/30 miles or so off the Coast (most do not evacuate for Hurricanes that far north), but week long power outages after a big storm are possible. Wiggins is another place I'd look.

Compared to Canton, GA, Central/South Mississippi isn't going offer near as much in the way of scenery/outdoor recreation (unless the ocean is your thing). Check back in with us on specific areas and we can give more detailed advice.
Thank for the thoughtful response. I considered Hattiesburg, but we were hoping a larger Metro area would offer more opportunities should the job market change. I have several years left until retirement.
I will give it another look.
We won't be getting so close to the coast, again. The power outages were always too long near Baton Rouge, and we do like a few hills.

Is traffic horrible if one needs to go into Jackson?
Is the Brandon area and south of Jackson comparable to area on the north side?

Old 11-27-2021, 10:50 AM

Looking at a map, how far south of I20 do i need to look to be in a safe neighborhood?

Old 11-27-2021, 10:57 AM

Here is an example of a house in the general area. Is this a decent area?
1058 Westbury Sq, Jackson, MS 39212

Old 11-27-2021, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ga2Ms View Post
Here is an example of a house in the general area. Is this a decent area?
1058 Westbury Sq, Jackson, MS 39212
Most of the areas in Jackson that are fit to live in are not near your price range, stay out of Jackson by any and all means (just read about Jackson on this page).

Old 11-27-2021, 12:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ga2Ms View Post
Thank for the thoughtful response. I considered Hattiesburg, but we were hoping a larger Metro area would offer more opportunities should the job market change. I have several years left until retirement.
I will give it another look.
We won't be getting so close to the coast, again. The power outages were always too long near Baton Rouge, and we do like a few hills.

Is traffic horrible if one needs to go into Jackson?
Is the Brandon area and south of Jackson comparable to area on the north side?
Traffic in Jxn is easy peasy.

Ranking of the metro area:

1. Madison/Gluckstadt (north of the metro) - nothing in your price range
2. Flowood/Reservoir (much of this area has a Brandon address, but 39047 zip)- may be possible to get in your price range, but not likely
3. Brandon (39042)- older town - you'll get closer to your price range, especially south of town
4. Florence/Richland - you'll be more likely to find something in your price range
5. Clinton - I don't know a ton about it, unfortunately it is Hinds County

Old 11-27-2021, 01:07 PM

We have very difficult traffic here in Canton from 7-9 and 4-6 everyday. Saturdays make you want to stay home, too.
We can go up to $350k if needed. Does that get us into a better area?
I've heard about Brandon. Are there more convenient, safer areas there, or is it just older and newer?

Thanks for your help.

Old 11-27-2021, 01:14 PM

I found Longleaf Trace, but it's a 44 mile trail. Is there a Hattiesburg subdivision with that name?

Old 11-27-2021, 04:37 PM

Default Madison

Quote:
Originally Posted by viverlibre View Post
Most of the areas in Jackson that are fit to live in are not near your price range, stay out of Jackson by any and all means (just read about Jackson on this page).
I found a few homes on Realtor.com in the south end of Madison that are in my price range. Between 51 and Natchez Trace. They are in my price range. Are those iffy, or just older?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi