Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-21-2008, 12:31 AM

57 posts, read 217,335 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by auntbee View Post
Hattiesburg is a great area for young people. The University of Southern Mississippi is in Hattiesburg. The schools are also supposed to be good. You shouldn't have much trouble finding a teaching job anywhere in Mississippi.

Yeah, Aunt Bee.

I'd say Hattiesburgh before Oxford.

It's very intellectual in Oxford...but it's also stiff, boring, more expensive
than the rest of the state and it's more collegiate.

Being so collegiate, I imagine they have a waiting list up there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2008, 02:27 AM

1 posts, read 1,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Claude Wilson View Post
Aren't you a young buck?

Good luck getting laid in Oxford.

You'd better go where there's a population.
Oxford is home to the University of Mississippi. There's plenty of young folks around.

If one of your goals is to make a difference then I beg you to come to the Delta. The public school system is deplorable and needs good teachers who care. If you were to move to the Delta I'd suggest towns like Clarksdale and Tunica.

Old 12-22-2008, 09:16 AM

1,008 posts, read 3,392,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikalyn View Post
Jacksonian, thank you so much for your input! I will definitely have to check out the Jackson area! How easy would it be for me to meet other young professionals in Jackson? Like I said, I am only in AL for school and I have no family here so I would really like to be able to make some friends rather quickly. Also, do you know anything about Hattiesburg or Tupelo? Is the Univ of Southern Miss located in Hattiesburg, or am I wrong about that? Thanks!
There are several different local groups that are made up of young professionals in the Jackson area. Jackson Progressives is a one of them, which started as a group of young adults who are passionate about Jackson and willing to make a difference in the community. Another group, which I know little about, is called Young Urban Professionals, or YUPs. Also, there are many more groups that are more specific that you are based on hobbies and/or interests. And if religion is your thing, there are tons of churches to choose from as well. There's a little bit of something for everyone, you just have to know where to look.

Hattiesburg and Tupelo seem to be nice places, but I don't know that much about either of them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi