Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-17-2008, 03:28 PM

17 posts, read 64,974 times

Advertisements

I currently attend college in Alabama, although I am originally from New Jersey, and I will be graduating in May. It's time for me to start thinking about where I'd like to live, and I know that I'd definitely like to stay in the South and Mississippi is definitely an option. I've only ever been once when I was visiting a friend who lives on the AL/MS border and we went to Meridian. It was nice and I liked the feel of it. Are most MS cities like Meridian? How is the job market for teachers? Any information you could give me would be helpful! Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2008, 03:47 PM

1,008 posts, read 3,391,881 times
There is a huge demand for teachers in MS. My wife is a teacher, and I know of two other recent grads who are teaching here now as well. Are you wanting to teach at a public or private school?

Meridian is a fair model to compare Mississippi cities to, Meridian being one of the moderately sized cities in the state. There are lots of schools in and around the Jackson Metro Area, both public and private. Being young, I think you would enjoy the Jackson scene. You can also find very affordable housing in some great communities here, like in Fondren and Belhaven. The central location makes commuting anywhere a breeze.

Old 12-17-2008, 08:12 PM

jacksonian, do you know anything about the Oxford area? Oh, and I am looking to teach in public school but I'll take whatever I can get. Thanks!

Old 12-17-2008, 09:52 PM

10 posts, read 14,858 times
we need teachers down here wed like a cllege teacher its carrierre stennis is down the road

Old 12-18-2008, 11:58 AM

1,008 posts, read 3,391,881 times
I know that Oxford is comparatively more expensive than most areas in Mississippi, as far as housing goes. It is a nice town though. I don't know anything about the schools there, but I would imagine they are of average to good quality.

Old 12-18-2008, 06:46 PM

Jacksonian, thank you so much for your input! I will definitely have to check out the Jackson area! How easy would it be for me to meet other young professionals in Jackson? Like I said, I am only in AL for school and I have no family here so I would really like to be able to make some friends rather quickly. Also, do you know anything about Hattiesburg or Tupelo? Is the Univ of Southern Miss located in Hattiesburg, or am I wrong about that? Thanks!

Old 12-19-2008, 09:04 AM

356 posts, read 1,345,656 times
Hattiesburg is a great area for young people. The University of Southern Mississippi is in Hattiesburg. The schools are also supposed to be good. You shouldn't have much trouble finding a teaching job anywhere in Mississippi.

Old 12-19-2008, 09:16 AM

2,975 posts, read 8,115,860 times
Sorry to butt in but i was curious to know what the demand for newly qualified nurses was like? (RN) and salary wise?

Old 12-19-2008, 09:24 AM

314 posts, read 1,105,189 times
You might want to make a few calls to the principals of schools in the areas you're considering to see what job availability there really is for a new teacher. So much is made of the teacher shortage in Mississippi that most people who aren't in education don't realize the shortage is regional within the state. Areas like the Delta have a crippling teacher deficit, places like Tupelo have waiting lists of people wanting to work there.

Old 12-21-2008, 12:26 AM

57 posts, read 217,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikalyn View Post
jacksonian, do you know anything about the Oxford area? Oh, and I am looking to teach in public school but I'll take whatever I can get. Thanks!
Aren't you a young buck?

Good luck getting laid in Oxford.

You'd better go where there's a population.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi