Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Is the Southern Accent Leaving Mississippi?
Yes 13 16.67%
No 65 83.33%
Voters: 78. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2009, 11:00 AM

156 posts, read 469,865 times

Advertisements

I was born and raised in the 'Burg but have been told I have no MS accent. Perhaps, it is because of my occupation. I just don't believe I ever had the accent. However, my husband swears that when I am really p***ed off, he hears it come out...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2009, 11:06 AM

2,339 posts, read 4,401,895 times
no its still here...Slow, annoying, and unintelligent.. well some so this doesn't apply to everyone...

Old 06-28-2009, 12:02 PM

290 posts, read 1,159,570 times
Hell no it isnt leaving, you people are some of the countriest I've ever met.

Old 06-28-2009, 06:22 PM

2,339 posts, read 4,401,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToughLuv View Post
Hell no it isnt leaving, you people are some of the countriest I've ever met.
You are from VA? Man the biggest mistake I made was leaving Norfolk! At least I'd have a job there.

Old 03-01-2010, 05:41 AM

983 posts, read 3,598,720 times
This happens to a lot of accents that are stigmatized. The southern accent in America carries a significant load, which is why it is avoided when people are trying to sound "neutral" or educated.
The shift towards weaker southern accent is more prevalent among the younger generations, females, and jobs that are not "outdoorsy" as jacksonian puts it.
This phenomenon is observable also in other countries (and other languages). Interestingly it is often a north-south divide.
People from southern Germany more readily lose their southern accent when they move to the North (not the other way around).
Someone from northern England are more likely to "neutralize" their accent than someone from southern England.
Etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NWS View Post
Honestly I'm from NY and I've met so many people who have told me they were born and raised in MS and yet I was surprised that they had no apparent MS drawl or accent to me.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Future Trooper View Post
I believe gradually that the Southern Accent is leaving Mississippi.
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldenfatt View Post
Mass media is killing the southern accent, not just in Mississippi. I personally believe that a strong Southern accent places you at a disadvantage when dealing with non-Southerners who associate that accent with the negative stereotypes they so love to perpetuate.
Quote:
Originally Posted by piano88keys View Post
I don't think with all the voice training in the world, that the accent can completely leave. I've been trained professionally; when I sing, or when I am in "work mode" -- talking to colleagues, making business calls, etc -- I have been commented that I have a great radio or tv voice, and have been asked where I was from. They (the business people) are always surprised when I say I am from Mississippi... pretty much all my life!

But now... when I get excited, upset, or just generally any kind of severe emotion, that southern twang comes out! LOL I think it's that way with most professionals in this area.

The problem with our delightful accents is that people from other areas hear the accent and automatically think we are ignorant, stupid, take your pick of synonyms. It's pretty bad to be judged just from the way we sound. *grr*
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernnaturelover View Post
I agree with you there, local news stations wont even hire newscasters with a southern accent.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacksonian View Post
Another variable is occupation. In my experience, jobs that are more centered around the southern culture, like farming, forestry, almost anything outdoors, etc tend to have a higher percentage of stronger southern accents. Offices with desk jobs are the opposite. My dad is a forester and has a strong southern accent. I, on the other hand, sit at a computer desk 80-90% of the time, and although I still have a southern accent, it is not anywhere near like my father's, except when I am around him for a while, and then my accent gets stronger like his. It's an odd spectacle.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsMo View Post
My son is seeing a lovely young lady and I was shocked when she told us she was from Mississippi. No accent. Once in a while when she gets excited telling a story I'll hear a little of that drawl
Quote:
Originally Posted by winkatme View Post
It has definitely made an exit from the coast and other urban areas.
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovindfw View Post
I was born and raised in the 'Burg but have been told I have no MS accent. Perhaps, it is because of my occupation. I just don't believe I ever had the accent. However, my husband swears that when I am really p***ed off, he hears it come out...

Old 03-03-2010, 08:57 AM

1,156 posts, read 1,799,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by A&M Bulldawg View Post
Is the Southern Accent Leaving Mississippi?
yes, if Gov. Haley Barbour is speaking to an out-of-state audience.

No, if Gov. Haley Barbour is speaking to some backwoods, country folk who make up his constituency.

Anyone else notice this? Well we'll all find out soon enough if what NPR said is true and that the GOP is grooming Haley for the 2012 nomination.

Old 03-04-2010, 05:04 PM

28 posts, read 78,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiogenesofJackson View Post
yes, if Gov. Haley Barbour is speaking to an out-of-state audience.

No, if Gov. Haley Barbour is speaking to some backwoods, country folk who make up his constituency.

Anyone else notice this? Well we'll all find out soon enough if what NPR said is true and that the GOP is grooming Haley for the 2012 nomination.
You mean Haley can lose that accent? Interesting.

As for the GOP grooming him, well, now the rest of the country can "hitch up their britches"

Old 03-04-2010, 05:56 PM

1,008 posts, read 3,392,184 times
I'm from Mississippi, and I've never heard the "Guv" without his strong southern accent. I just can't see the entire nation standing behind him, unless the majority wants a hard-leaning right conservative. Who knows though, anything is possible.

Old 03-05-2010, 03:11 PM

93,347 posts, read 123,972,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NWS View Post
Honestly I'm from NY and I've met so many people who have told me they were born and raised in MS and yet I was surprised that they had no apparent MS drawl or accent to me.
My dad is like this, but he's been living in the Syracuse area for 45 years now but is originally from Tchula. You can still hear a slight accent, but it is isn't that strong.

Old 07-05-2010, 10:45 PM

5 posts, read 8,151 times
Not all Southern accents sound stupid. Just most of them. Some sound quite charming. But the charming ones are few and far between. I don't think people think Mississippians are stupid because of the accent. I think it's the test scores and obesity.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi